Windows 10: Slow performance video editing VirtualDub

Discus and support Slow performance video editing VirtualDub in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello! I have a Core-i3 (see my specs) running Windows 10 Pro v1607. I usually edit HD 1080p video at a rate of 6-7fps. Yesterday I started a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by spapakons, Dec 14, 2016.

1. spapakons Win User

Slow performance video editing VirtualDub

Hello!

I have a Core-i3 (see my specs) running Windows 10 Pro v1607. I usually edit HD 1080p video at a rate of 6-7fps. Yesterday I started a new edit using nothing more than the usual filters (Deinterlace, Crop, Resize) I use every time but the rendering rate is about 1-2fps. Do you have any idea what is going on? Could a Windows Update (such as graphics driver) affect performance? If you have any suggestion please tell me what you suspect so I can find the culprit and fix it. For the editing I am using VirtualDub 32-bit (so I can use all the 32-bit codecs), video compression is x264vfw plugin and audio compression is AC3 using AC3ACM.

Any help appreciated.

PS: I have an SSD as my system disk but due to some recent downloads the free available space is about 20GB. Could that affect performance?

EDIT: I think I found something! The NVidia acceleration settings were all reset to default (prefer quality etc). I changed them to best performance, changed PhysX to Auto (it was CPU) and some other settings and the rendering speed in Virtualdub improved from 1-2fps to 4-5fps. Any other suggestion is welcome.

:)

spapakons, Dec 14, 2016

2. How to make ATI TV Wonder 650. work in Windows 10

Install VirtualDub to playback Live Video from your ATI TV Wonder TV Tuner 650 Pro!

Download "VirtualDub" it's a new application I found that you can use to play back live video from your ATI TV Wonder 650 pro card in Windows 10 and 10 Anniversary Edition.

Instructions:

1: Make sure your drivers are installed from ATI's website. (see my earlier post about getting it to work with now defunct "Windows Media Center").

2: Download "VirtualDub" 32bit or 64bit versions.

3: Extract the contents of the zip file to a folder location of you choice. (Me I put it in my c:\programs folder).

4: Click on "Veedub64.exe" or the 32bit version if your computer is 32bit.

5: Inside "VirtualDub" go to File\Capture AVI.

6: Inside Capture AVI first go to Capture\Timing...

7: Inside Capture Timing Options Disable "Force audio clock when audio playback is enabled" located at the bottom. (When this is enabled your video shudders when audio is enabled with this feature is on).
    Click "OK".

8: Go to Device and select ATI AVStream Analog Capture (DirectShow).

9: Go to Video and check Overlay.

10: Now go to Video\Tuner and set your TV Tuner channel to whatever you use. (Me my TV channel is set to
    3).

11: Now go to Audio and check Enable Audio Playback, now you should be able to hear sound from your playback.

Helpful Hints:

- Oh when you got everything working make a Shortcut and put it in your Start Menu or on your Taskbar.

- Oh again to remove the right side information bar go to Capture and
    uncheck "Show information panel".

Now this isn't the best video play back for your tv tuner but it works and it doesn't crash.

I hope this helps. I'll update this post again if Microsoft decides to prevent us from using our old TV cards again.

@ on Twitter

MarkSinister, Dec 14, 2016
  3. clonmult Win User
    N73 MP4 settings

There are 2 xvid players on the market for S60 -

Smartmovie, which is a commercial application, and DivX player which is a "freeware" application.

I've used either the Smartmovie convertor, or VirtualDub (which is awkward), and generally use similar settings to 3gp - 288kbps video, 96kbps audio.

Once or twice I've tried putting the original XVid file on the phone. Whilst it just about plays, it stutters way too much in both the video and the audio. But then, the video is something like 640x480 or higher, and audio is generally 128/160kbps ... just
    too much for the little old N73 to cope with.

clonmult, Dec 14, 2016
  4. spapakons Win User

OK, I did it. I enabled DirectX Video Acceleration (dvxa) in VirtualDub, I then went to NVidia Control Panel and changed all 3D settings towards maximum performance. Now is back to normal. Probably some NVidia driver update had restored the default settings (quality) and affected performance. Pity there is no CUDA plugin for VirtualDub. This would skyrocket performance...

spapakons, Dec 16, 2016
Thema:

1. Slow performance video editing VirtualDub - Similar Threads - Slow performance video

2. Slow performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow performance: Hello all, I have an HP Pavilion laptop and it's always been sluggish since day one. I run Windows 11 and it's up to date. Recently I discovered a resource gobbler in the task manage. I'v read up a bit on it and it seems I can safely disable it. That is my question, here is...
  3. Slow performance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow performance: When i open YouTube and click "F" to fullscreen, it take long to finish fullscreen.When i checked Task manager and it show my CPU usage is 40% On idle, but how can that slow?And i'm using High Performance Power plan, that's mean my CPU have more powers to playing YouTube....
  4. Slow Performance

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow Performance: My operating system is Windows 10 Home. I am experiencing slow performance and I think it may be due to the linkage to a Microsoft account. I have cleaned the PC and I am still experiencing slow start up performance. We have slow internet. I have unlinked the email; however,...
  5. Slow Performance

Slow Performance: My laptop became very slow after reset. Why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-performance/9b78d7ee-110c-4f94-9e54-b52db763952d
  6. Slow Performance

Slow Performance: So about two weeks ago, I updated the drivers on my computer, but had some issues with performance. I restored my computer to its original settings, because that's what the tech support told me to do. However I am still having performance issues. I've tried restarting,...
  7. Slow Performance!!!

Slow Performance!!!: Everything on my PC is slow. I have been facing this issue from long. Can you help me in this regard please. I am very frustrated!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-performance/e226ada7-6990-451a-bbe9-d9324986d69e
  8. Slow performance

Slow performance: I had problem with my laptop connector. I gave it for repair, After repair, the computer, particularly internet is very slow. I have refreshed the system still having the issue. I went to the repair store where the machine was performing decently but at home it is not....
  9. slow performance

slow performance: my pc was too much slow what i need to do... any suggestions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-performance/2b671350-3d52-4e99-90cd-3b9bb5753878
  10. Does installing a video card slow down performance?

Does installing a video card slow down performance?: My primary desktop is getting old, so I thought it was time for some upgrades. I told my friend about this, but he stated a new GPU slows down the CPU and other components. Should I be worried? Here’s my current specs for reference: Dell Inspiron 3847 Intel Core i5-4460...