Windows 10: slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown

Discus and support slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) From switch-on to desktop start-up sound takes nearly two minutes, and after that there's still a lot of disc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Syncopator, May 25, 2018.

1. slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown

Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48)

From switch-on to desktop start-up sound takes nearly two minutes, and after that there's still a lot of disc activity. Shutdown is equally slow.

Once the system has started it takes 30 seconds after clicking on an MP3 icon for VLC player to open.

Is this to be expected or is there something I can do to speed things up?

:)

Syncopator, May 25, 2018
  2. TiKe75 Win User

Windows 10 booting / shutdown / disk access very slow

Dear community,

recently my Windows 10 Home is very slow to boot up, takes ages (10-15min) after shutdown is clicked, to start the shutdown process, which takes ages again and is as well extremely slow when opening the explorer after a new usb hard drive is connected. Detecting
    it is as well a question of several minutes.

Do I have to re-install Windows 10 completely? It was pre-installed as I bought this (new) computer, so I don't know the product key or what else is required...

Thanks for your help

Timo

TiKe75, May 25, 2018
  3. John Ado Win User
    slow start

Hi,

To help you with this, let's do a clean boot and see if you will experience a slow startup. Follow the steps in this

article

Note: After troubleshooting, make sure to start your computer normally by referring to
    How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting section of the article.

Let us know how it goes.

Best.

John Ado, May 25, 2018
Thema:

slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown

1. slow program starts, Slow boot, slow shutdown - Similar Threads - slow program starts

2. Slow Shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow Shutdown: Hello everyone my laptop was fine but today when i shut it down there were two or three apps which were preventing to shutdown. Two closed so quickly that i couldnt even see the name while one was realtek audio service which also closed quickly. Any fix for this because this...
  3. slow shutdown

slow shutdown: just happened today it took me 10 mins to shutdown idk what I did Im just playing games when i had enough i closed my pc it took me 10 mins to shutdown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-shutdown/0c4677be-7179-41d0-9584-4457d8c88f95
  4. slow to start boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    slow to start boot: Hello when I start my computer, DVD drive start, after that there is pause while greenlight there, then fan starts and then windows starts, I already changed to ssd drive, I increased memory and sama thing is there somting wrong in BIOS?...
  5. Slow startup and slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow startup and slow shutdown: Hi everyone, I have a problem with my laptop with Windows 10. The startup is very slow (about 5 minutes) and the shutdown is the same. I checked the health of the disk with cristaldiskinfo and it's ok. I also did a malware scan and everything is fine. I disabled all junk...
  6. Slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow shutdown: I've recently upgraded to the 2004 build and since doing so everthing is fine except when i shutdown, before i didnt even have time to reach out to turn the monitor off , now it seems to take quite a while, I've done a Google search for the problem, and tried what was...
  7. System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open

in Windows 10 Customization
    System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open: System is slow to start up and programs are slow to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10/f7c13e5f-fe9c-4a8f-98cc-3d25990168c3
  8. Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot, slow shutdown, and slow program starts.: Windows Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48) From switch-on to desktop start-up sound takes nearly two minutes, and after that there's still a lot of disc activity. Shutdown is equally slow. Once the system has started it takes 30 seconds after clicking on an MP3 icon for VLC...
  9. slow boot/shutdown/restart

slow boot/shutdown/restart: I have a lenovo ideapad z510 with a Sandisk Ultra II 120 GB as the main disk and a second 1TB HDD instead of the DVDwr, my problem is that it takes ~ 25-30 seconds to boot/shutdown/restart according to Event Viewer, and considering the Ultra II specs that's a lot, it...
  10. Slow boot & shutdown time

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot & shutdown time: 10 doesn't seem to be booting very nicely. What I mean is that it seems to be having a difficult time initilizing my SSD, so upon boot I get a blank black screen for anywhere from 60-180 seconds, where the primary drive activity LED is inactive, before it actually boots. This...