Windows 10: Slow refresh of icons

Discus and support Slow refresh of icons in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When accessing certain folders e.g. folder with loads of movies (mkv) The file explorer takes ages to show the files and the green progress... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by spluff, Aug 11, 2015.

1. spluff Win User

Slow refresh of icons

When accessing certain folders

e.g. folder
    with loads of movies (mkv)

The file explorer takes ages to show the files
    and the green progress bar at the top takes ages to load. All the movie
    thumbnails slowly start appearing...

In windows 7 this was kinda
    instantaneous

Anyone else getting this and know a fix?

cheers

:)

spluff, Aug 11, 2015

2. Slow refresh of charm/action icons and moving files

Hi Edwin,

A Disk Cleanup may help you with your concern especially related to you moving your files.

When did you experience this kind of performance? What were the recent changes made before it happened?

You may also perform a Clean Boot to see if there's a certain app that's causing the issue.
    Clean Boot helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when running or installing a program in Windows 10.

Note: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

If the issue persists, let's see if the same issue will occur when we boot your PC in
    Safe Mode. Starting your PC in Safe Mode can help you troubleshoot problems on your PC while using a limited set of files and drivers. Here's how to set your PC in
    Safe Mode:

• Press the Windows + I key from the keyboard to launch
      Settings.
    • Select Update & Security, then Recovery.
    • Click the Restart now button under Advanced startup.
    • Select Troubleshoot when you get into the Choose an option screen.
    • Select Advanced options, then Startup Settings.
    • Click Restart.
    • Select 4 or press the F4 key from the keyboard after your PC restarts to start your PC now in
      Safe Mode.

We'll be waiting for your update.

Regards.

Michelle Her, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Slow refresh of charm/action icons and moving files

I experience a very late refresh of the action section (right pop out) and a late refresh of moved files. it looks like the systems waits for something.

Somebody any idea?

Edwin de Kuiper, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Courage09 Win User

Slow refresh of icons

I have the exact same problem. It is driving me crazy. When I open my Video folder where is a lot of 15GB+ mkv files it takes literaly ages to load thumbnails and lot of them won't load ever. During this there is a running process called com surrogate which renders my laptop useless because it is using 100% of my disk speed. We need to fix this as soon as possible.

Courage09, Aug 14, 2015
  5. wanabrar Win User
    Refer this thread for the solution Solved COM Surrogate using too much CPU, Thumbnail and Icon problem. - Windows 10 Forums

I'm having the same issue here. Where my pc/computer window will load very slow because they can't get the icons. I also have a bunch of MKV on my PC.

The easiest fix for now is to kill the COM Surrogate process, and sometimes the thumbnail will generate, but sometimes not. Also if you are having load issues, just kill the COM Surrogate process and it will load fine after that.

It's kind of a hassle, and COM Surrogate keeps using 10% of my CPU usage all the time.

wanabrar, Aug 24, 2015
  6. spluff Win User
    that's not really a fix is it - its disabling something within windows 10.

Microsoft should release something - this didn't happen in windows 7 !

spluff, Aug 24, 2015
  7. wanabrar Win User
    I hope you read the thread I just linked. Because the fix is there, not the one that I said here. It's a fix alright, and you're not disabling anything. Windows 7 doesn't have MKV thumbnail preview as far as I know. Using Icaros thumbnailing, will generate all the thumbnail that COM Surrogate can't, and lessen the CPU usage. Once the thumbnail is generated, it stays in Windows, even when icaros thumbnailing is disabled.

It's a temporary fix, until Microsoft gets their shit together, and I doubt it will be fixed anytime soon.

wanabrar, Aug 24, 2015
  8. spluff Win User

Slow refresh of icons

Do you exactly know what else com surrogate does or is used by though? I don't like to just disable things willy nilly - I think we all would like Microsoft to get their finger out and fix it.... was fine in win7

spluff, Aug 24, 2015
  9. wanabrar Win User
    wanabrar, Aug 24, 2015
  10. snickie Win User
    I have this problem too with slow icon update. As mentioned earlier, this was not a problem in Windows 7.
    Microsoft, wake up!
    PS! My IconCache.db is only 80 KB and I don't have any MKV files on my PC.

snickie, Aug 24, 2015
  11. piponito Win User
    piponito, Aug 24, 2015
  12. andybb Win User
    OK, This fixed it for me. I tried everything in every forum i could find for over a month.. It seems that the common denominator in this issue was that it happens in folders with video files and that it didn't always do this, but was a recent occurrence, indicating that something had changed. After a month or so with this problem the one thing that was suggested that i didn't try was to delete a corrupted file because I had hundreds of movies in the folder and didn't know where to start or which was corrupted, but that was the issue. Apparently I had a few corrupted files and as soon as they were deleted the issue went away.

Try this. Watch which file is still waiting for all of the info to display while the progress bar creeps along. In my movies folder I have both individual files and folders that have files in them. Sort so that the individual files sort first, not the folders. I noticed that it was showing all of the file names but not displaying the date and other info for a file while the bar crept across the page. That made me think that maybe this was the corrupted file. I deleted that file and refreshed my movie folder.. It then stopped when it got to another file so I deleted that one then another. Once those three files were deleted my problem was fixed. There may be corrupted files in the movies are inside of their own folder but that didn't seem to matter to Explorer. Sure enough the movies I had added about 2 months ago when the problem showed up were the culprits.

andybb, Oct 6, 2015
  13. Courage09 Win User

Slow refresh of icons

This is what happens after I open my Video folder
    https://i.imgur.com/iibBJJK.png
    My PC is unuseable then. Please this need to be fixed.
    I've already located those .mkv files which are causing it but they are not corrupted. I can play them flawlessly.

Courage09, Oct 8, 2015
  14. andybb Win User
    Not sure what you mean by "My PC is unuseable then." I am not a tech support guy but... I can't see your folder because Task Manager is in front of it. Secondly, use the "Details" option to view the folder.Thirdly, yes, the corrupted files do play, it's just that there is something about Windows that doesn't like it when it comes to sorting the file. I was able to watch all of the files that were corrupted but windows still stalled when listing them.

andybb, Oct 8, 2015
  15. Courage09 Win User
    I don't wanted everyone to see my Video folder. The point of that screenshot is that process Com Surrogate is using my HDD 85,7MB/s when I open that folder.

Courage09, Oct 8, 2015
Thema:

Slow refresh of icons

1. Slow refresh of icons - Similar Threads - Slow refresh icons

2. Icons randomly blinking/refreshing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icons randomly blinking/refreshing: Sometimes when im on my desktop i notice that my icons blink once like its refreshing on its own. Also while using chrome the taskbar icon sometimes start blinking, like its got unselect for a moment. submitted by /u/Morfologus2222 [link] [comments]...
  3. Icon refresh issue ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Icon refresh issue ?: so after i refresh my screen i have an icon that auto rearranges itself any fixes for this ? submitted by /u/tommyhoo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jav92w/icon_refresh_issue/
  4. icons refreshes automatically

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    icons refreshes automatically: hi whenever I open any folder in any of my apps all the icons in my computer gets refreshed automatically though when i open anyfolder individually there is no such refresh problem Should i be worried that in long run i might lose all my data? or my computer might...
  5. refresh icon is big

in Windows 10 Customization
    refresh icon is big: hello suddenly my refresh icon size is big then before i mean the icon which pops in the screen when we click right mouse and a icon pops and a refresh option is shown in the icon now i want to resize that icon need some guidelines Thanks for your cooperation...
  6. icon refreshing in file explorer

icon refreshing in file explorer: When my Windows 10 file explorer opens a folder containing a .JPG file, it triggers a non-stop frenzy of repeatedly refreshing every icon in sight including the desktop and probably others as well. I have tried many suggestions for fixing things relating to Explorer but none...
  7. Windows 10 icons refresh in taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 icons refresh in taskbar: Hi, why the icons in taskbar are refreshing into a randomly moment or when I copy something on clipboard? This is very stupid and I don't know why they are refreshing....
  8. Icon refresh issues

Icon refresh issues: Hi, We are using Win 10 , 1803 First Problem on my laptop and when I ever I delete file/shortcut on destop or any folder , the change is not reflecting, icon of file still remain there and if I click it says file not found, its same even when I copy paste file on...
  9. Network tray icon is blurry - how to refresh the icon?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Network tray icon is blurry - how to refresh the icon?: [img] As you can see, it's not very smooth. The white curved lines have bluish spots inside. When I first installed Windows 10 on a virtual hard disk (vhd), nvidia drivers for my gtx 760 installed automatically by Windows 10 and the icon was very smooth. Later, I had to do a...
  10. taskbar icons keep refreshing

in Windows 10 Support
    taskbar icons keep refreshing: every so often my taskbar icons refresh (or flash once). At first I thought it was dropbox causing this so I uninstalled it, but still does it once in a while. Any thoughts? 80554