Windows 10: Slow restarts when using a restart OTHER than Win10 10122

Discus and support Slow restarts when using a restart OTHER than Win10 10122 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Strange. I have a restart button on a gadget control panel and it takes forever to restart. If I use the restart supplied with the Start menu, it is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by John Pombrio, May 26, 2015.

1. Slow restarts when using a restart OTHER than Win10 10122

Strange. I have a restart button on a gadget control panel and it takes forever to restart. If I use the restart supplied with the Start menu, it is its usual quick self. Problem is that I had to do a restart for Calibre and it too was hung for all intents and purposes. I just hit the reset button to get the computer to reboot but NOT my preferred method.

Anyone else seeing this with non Win10 restarts? Did they change the restart command line perhaps?

:)

John Pombrio, May 26, 2015

2. Slow restart after win10 upgrade.

I had the same issue. Mine was TERRIBLE!!. This article helped me a little , although not totally. How to fix windows 10 slow boot
    issues

KelvinOgwu, May 26, 2015
  3. Slow restart after win10 upgrade.

Hello Tony,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with after upgrading to Windows 10, the system is taking a very long time to restart.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

This issue might have occurred if any third party application is causing conflict in the system.

To diagnose the problem whether any third party program or application is causing the conflict, I would suggest you to try “clean boot” and check if it helps.

Placing your system in “Clean Boot” state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135?wa=wsignin1.0

If the issue does not occur in “Clean Boot”, then you may determine which application/service on the computer is causing this issue. This can be done by following the instructions for
    “Windows 8.1 and Windows 8” given in the section “How to determine what is causing the problem by performing a Clean Boot” from the same given link.

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, May 26, 2015
  4. Slow restarts when using a restart OTHER than Win10 10122

Sorry, what gadget control panel?

FuturDreamz, May 27, 2015
  5. I have a Restart shortcut with a target of: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /r /t 30- (/r = restart, /t = wait time in seconds - 60 might be the default, not sure).

I'm not familiar with the gadget you're using, but see if it does the same thing as my shortcut, if you can set the /t parameter it will be quicker (even 30 seconds seems forever*Wink )

Slartybart, May 27, 2015
  6. And... it fixed itself. There is no longer a 5 minute (or longer) wait when I use the gadget restart button. I guess it is solved, heh. Weird how things change DAILY in Win10.

Slow restarts when using a restart OTHER than Win10 10122 [​IMG]

John Pombrio, May 28, 2015
  7. Win10 .... it's magically delicious!

My disk was taking a pounding today ntoskrnl and Search drove it hard to 99% - really slowed things down.
    I wasn't seraching, so I'm not sure what the system was doing - not the normal gathering of the clans files stuff.

Yeah, some gremlin thinks its funny to keep turning off my 'advanced' folder view settings - if I don't see the two desktop.ini files on my desktop, I know I have to go in and change it back

Glad it got resolved - you seem to have better gremlins than I do - yours help you *Wink

Slartybart, May 28, 2015
  8. topgundcp Win User

Slow restarts when using a restart OTHER than Win10 10122

It is not a Windows 10 problem but rather some background processes are causing it. The slow restart problem with my PC was caused by NVIDIA process when I updated to version 341.44. After I disabled it from startup, it restarts almost instantly so you might want to check the start up tab from task manager, some of them are really unneccessary to be there.

Slow restarts when using a restart OTHER than Win10 10122 [​IMG]

@Slartybart
    Windows Search is a system resource hog and often rebuilds the search database (Windows.edb). You might want to look at some other search engines such as: Everything Search Engine or Listary Pro | Listary .

topgundcp, May 28, 2015
  9. Yeah, NOT solved. It came back and with ALL forms of restart. I disabled the NVidia backend (the sneaks for putting it there). I am now on Win10 ver 10130 and so far, it's working OK on the restarts.

John Pombrio, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Slow restarts when using a restart OTHER than Win10 10122

1. Slow restarts when using a restart OTHER than Win10 10122 - Similar Threads - Slow restarts using

2. Some text is bigger than others after restarting??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some text is bigger than others after restarting??: I restarted my laptop the other day, All of a sudden, some text is bigger than others. I have tried to change the text size in the display settings, in command prompt, dpi but no luck.The text in the url bar is the normal size, but the bookmark text is the missized one. This...
  3. Some text is bigger than others after restarting??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some text is bigger than others after restarting??: I restarted my laptop the other day, All of a sudden, some text is bigger than others. I have tried to change the text size in the display settings, in command prompt, dpi but no luck.The text in the url bar is the normal size, but the bookmark text is the missized one. This...
  4. Slow boot, only when restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow boot, only when restart: I've been struggling with this problem for several days on a Windows 10 computer. If I shut down the computer, unplug the power cable and plug it back in, and power up, it boots in just a few seconds. If I restart, it shows a black screen for about 110 seconds, and then boots...
  5. Slow boot, only when restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow boot, only when restart: I've been struggling with this problem for several days on a Windows 10 computer. If I shut down the computer, unplug the power cable and plug it back in, and power up, it boots in just a few seconds. If I restart, it shows a black screen for about 110 seconds, and then boots...
  6. Slow boot, only when restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Slow restart / startup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow restart / startup: My laptop was boot slowly 1 minutes and 35 s in shutdown and 1 m : 45 s in restart , start counting from hp logo , most of the time in the hp logo loading it takes about 50 seconds followd by black screen for 20 seconds , so i turned on fast startup and now it take 30...
  8. Restart very slow?

Restart very slow?: Hey Guys I have fast start up enabled ( it's ticked but greyed out , reg enrty is set to 1 ) But I have set hibernation to never, will this combo work? Time I get is around 14 secs. Also the restart option seems extremely slow ie around 1 minute, is this normal? Is...
  9. Very slow start up when using Restart

Very slow start up when using Restart: I can't recall when exactly this problem started but I have had it for quite a while now, it might have begun after the last feature update. For one reason or another my PC takes very long to start up if I select "Restart", around 2 minutes 45 seconds from the moment the...
  10. Slow shutdown and restart

Slow shutdown and restart: I have recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. However, during a shutdown or restart, it takes 2-3 minutes for my computer to perform a fore mentioned. I get the "Shutting Down" or "Restarting" message for an age followed by a "cannot shutdown due to the following apps"...