Windows 10: Slow SATA Speed On Windows 10

Discus and support Slow SATA Speed On Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, Just last week I upgraded my computer from an Intel i5 2500 that was on the ASUS P8 B75 board with USB 3.0 to an Intel i5 6500 on the MSI Z170A... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kats2512, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Kats2512 Win User

Slow SATA Speed On Windows 10

Hi,

Just last week I upgraded my computer from an Intel i5 2500 that was on the ASUS P8 B75 board with USB 3.0 to an Intel i5 6500 on the MSI Z170A Tomahawk AC with USB 3.1.

The issue I am now having is that my read speeds from any sata drive is super slow, about 10MBPS, however copying from USB 3 to USB 3 works fine, I get about 100MBPS average.

I have clean installed Windows 10 numerous times, however when I did a clean install of Windows 7 everything works fine and fast. I have even went to the device manager and changed each sata drive policy but that did not work.

I have no idea what the problem is and microsoft always gives some stupid answer that never works.

Thanks.

:)

Kats2512, Nov 20, 2016
  2. Tesla3D Win User
    Tesla3D, Nov 20, 2016
  3. making a USB hard drive my primary hard drive

The internal SATA connection is significantly faster than USB read/write speeds. I'm no expert so I can't say how this would slow down the OS.

laudablepus, Nov 20, 2016
  4. Adalwar Win User

If you have Intel Rapid Storage Driver installed , uninstall it, reboot and see.

Adalwar, Nov 20, 2016
  5. Cliff S New Member
    Is you BIOS set to AHCI or IDE?

Cliff S, Nov 20, 2016
  6. Kats2512 Win User
    I did not have this installed so I installed it thinking it would help make the drives faster but it never, so I just uninstalled it thereafter.

Kats2512, Nov 20, 2016
  7. Kats2512 Win User
    I downloaded the lastest BIOS update for the board and it is set to AHCI.

Kats2512, Nov 20, 2016
  8. Cliff S New Member

I'm baff right now too, I took a look at the MOBOs page and it should be tearing up the data:
    • 6 x SATA 6Gb/s ports*
    • 1 x M.2 Key M Socket supports type 2280/2260/2242 storage devices in both PCIE Gen3 x4 & SATA mode
    - Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s standards,4.2cm/ 6cm/ 8cm length M.2 SSD cards
    - Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe Mini-SAS SSD with Turbo U.2 Host Card***
    • Supports RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5 and RAID 10 for SATA storage devices

Cliff S, Nov 20, 2016
  9. Kats2512 Win User
    Exactly, everything works fine on windows 7 though, I am just as baffed as you are. Windows 10 is supposed to be much more advanced.

Kats2512, Nov 20, 2016
  10. Adalwar Win User
    Then type this in an elevated prompt and post here a screen shot:
    Winsat Disk -Drive C
    Do the same for the "poor perfoming" drive

Adalwar, Nov 20, 2016
  11. Kats2512 Win User
    I finally found a solution on this forum, I followed this guys steps below and now getting full drive speed.

Solved Slow Data copy/paste SPEEDS in WINDOWS 10 - Windows 10 Forums

really the most frustrating thing I have ever encountered on a pc that took me over 2 weeks to find. Just upgraded back to windows 10 and followed the link, getting about 200MBPS from my sata 6 to my usb 3 drive *Smile

Kats2512, Nov 21, 2016
  12. Cliff S New Member
    Good to here Kats*Thumbs
    Keep us posted, please.
    At least I'm interested.

Cliff S, Nov 21, 2016
  13. Kats2512 Win User

i most definitely will *Smile

Kats2512, Nov 21, 2016
  14. Kats2512 Win User
    Also I found that after installing the utilities from MSi disc it caused havoc with the speeds, so I had to uninstall all the crap utilities that came with the disc and speeds went back to normal.

Kats2512, Nov 22, 2016
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Interesting to hear.
    I'll keep an eye on it.

I should be getting my new PC this week and it has the Z170A PC MATE board.
    It comes with a 512 M.2 SSD, and I'm installing/moving my 512GB Samsung 850Pro and 1TB Samsung EVO to it.

Cliff S, Nov 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Slow SATA Speed On Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Slow SATA Speed

2. Slow Internet Speed in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow Internet Speed in Windows 10: Hello there,I have purchased Lenovo V15 ADA but somedays ago for some reasons my harddisk was damaged and I have to replace it with nvme ssd but the problem comes there, berofe my laptop was damaged my internet speed was working properly at full speed, I have a broadband...
  3. Windows 10 slow upload speeds

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 slow upload speeds: Since moving to a new network my Windows 10 computer has had terrible upload speeds 0.2 - 0.5 according to the m-labs speedtest that appears on google and in general bad loading times. Youtibe videos always buffer and websites take forever to load.I have tested every port on...
  4. Windows 10 slow upload speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 slow upload speeds: Since moving to a new network my Windows 10 computer has had terrible upload speeds 0.2 - 0.5 according to the m-labs speedtest that appears on google and in general bad loading times. Youtibe videos always buffer and websites take forever to load.I have tested every port on...
  5. Windows 10 Slow Download Speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Slow Download Speed: Hi people, Hoping for some help on this one, I know similar issues have been covered before but I've still been unable to find a fix. As above I'm struggling with slow download speeds, I have tested the broadband and have results averaging around 50-55mbps however when...
  6. Slow network speed on windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow network speed on windows 10: I have 2 machine's which used to be on windows 7 and 8.1, after updating to Windows 10, while both network adapters show Connected at 1GBs, when I do any file transfers, its slow. submitted by /u/dupz88 [link] [comments]...
  7. Slow Download Speeds Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Slow Download Speeds Windows 10: Over the last few weeks I've had this issue with my Wi-Fi Download speeds and just internet speeds in general. I'm feting about 5-7Mbps on my PC, but on my laptop and phone I'm getting about 30-40Mbps on the same Wi-Fi connection (about where it should be). I have the newest...
  8. Slow downs in SATA transfer speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow downs in SATA transfer speed: I am having an odd issue where the transfer speed from my HDDs slows to unusable after my computer has been on for a while. I have my primary OS drive as a Samsung 850 1TB SSD, paired with 2 x 3TB Toshiba HDDs. When I first start my computer, everything works as it...
  9. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA: I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I have aren't slow like this one...
  10. 2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA

2T HD - Slow USB transfer speeds, but fast as SATA: I have a WD 2T HD 7200 RPM. Plugged in as a USB drive, the transfers speed is 7mg/sec, but if I use it as an internal SATA it's about 190mg/sec. I've tried 3 different USB interfaces with the 2T drive with the same results. Other USB HD's that I have aren't slow like this one...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. slow sata speeds windows 10

2. windows 10 slow sata speeds sandy bridge

3. Windows 10 1809 Update write speed to USB3 RAID5 dropped from 200MB/sec to 5mb/sec microsoft