Windows 10: Slow shut down

Discus and support Slow shut down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, long time viewer, first time poster. I'm a huge fan of the Windows 10, I love it, however recently I've gotten my first glimpse of the buggy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Maty, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Maty Win User

Slow shut down

Hello, long time viewer, first time poster. I'm a huge fan of the Windows 10, I love it, however recently I've gotten my first glimpse of the buggy side. The computer (pretty decent) is taking a very very long time to shut down. I just let it be, maybe update or something, however it kept doing it. After a few days I checked the event viewer, and I had quite a few of errors.

The main error (that I think, I'm no computer expert) that is causing this domino effect is a distributed error, CLSID and APPID. I've tried many solutions out there, and none seem to work. I don't know where I should keep looking, or if that was even the cause of all of this. Please help me out, I'm eager to learn more this OS. I am going for a Electrical/Computer major, this is what I love doing, however I have no experience dealing with the in depths of OS's.

Here are some screenshots.

Slow shut down [​IMG]

Slow shut down [​IMG]

:)

2. MytchLaw Win User

Slow Shut Down

Hello,

My computer has been experiencing rather slow shut downs where it takes about 8-10 minutes before it will shut down.

I've pulled some data from event viewer but not sure what to do next.If someone could please advise how I would fix this I would greatly appreciate it.

This is what event viewer shows:

This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:

File Name : Power

Friendly Name : User-mode Power Service

Version : 10.0.10586.0 (th2_release.151029-1700)

Total Time : 4914ms

Degradation Time : 914ms

Incident Time (UTC) : ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎06T15:46:15.261922400Z

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance

Date: 5/6/2016 8:48:48 AM

Event ID: 203

Task Category: Shutdown Performance Monitoring

Level: Warning

Keywords: Event Log

User: LOCAL SERVICE

Computer: Mytch_Tab

Description:

This service caused a delay in the system shutdown process:

File Name : Power

Friendly Name : User-mode Power Service

Version : 10.0.10586.0 (th2_release.151029-1700)

Total Time : 4914ms

Degradation Time : 914ms

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance" Guid="{CFC18EC0-96B1-4EBA-961B-622CAEE05B0A}" />

<EventID>203</EventID>

<Version>1</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>4007</Task>

<Opcode>41</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000010000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-05-06T15:48:48.021206800Z" />

<EventRecordID>2</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{85967836-A7AE-0002-0683-9685AEA7D101}" />

<Execution ProcessID="1212" ThreadID="3044" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational</Channel>

<Computer>Mytch_Tab</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="StartTime">2016-05-06T15:46:15.261922400Z</Data>

<Data Name="NameLength">6</Data>

<Data Name="Name">Power</Data>

<Data Name="FriendlyNameLength">24</Data>

<Data Name="FriendlyName">User-mode Power Service</Data>

<Data Name="VersionLength">39</Data>

<Data Name="Version">10.0.10586.0 (th2_release.151029-1700)</Data>

<Data Name="TotalTime">4914</Data>

<Data Name="DegradationTime">914</Data>

<Data Name="PathLength">29</Data>

<Data Name="Path">C:\WINDOWS\system32\umpo.dll</Data>

<Data Name="ProductNameLength">37</Data>

<Data Name="ProductName">Microsoft® Windows® Operating System</Data>

<Data Name="CompanyNameLength">22</Data>

<Data Name="CompanyName">Microsoft Corporation</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational

Source: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance

Date: 5/6/2016 8:48:48 AM

Event ID: 200

Task Category: Shutdown Performance Monitoring

Level: Warning

Keywords: Event Log

User: LOCAL SERVICE

Computer: Mytch_Tab

Description:

Windows has shutdown:

Shutdown Duration : 29838ms

IsDegradation : true

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance" Guid="{CFC18EC0-96B1-4EBA-961B-622CAEE05B0A}" />

<EventID>200</EventID>

<Version>1</Version>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>4007</Task>

<Opcode>40</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000010000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-05-06T15:48:48.021164500Z" />

<EventRecordID>1</EventRecordID>

<Correlation ActivityID="{85967836-A7AE-0002-0683-9685AEA7D101}" />

<Execution ProcessID="1212" ThreadID="3044" />

<Channel>Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational</Channel>

<Computer>Mytch_Tab</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="ShutdownTsVersion">1</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownStartTime">2016-05-06T15:46:15.261922400Z</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownEndTime">2016-05-06T15:46:45.100649400Z</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownTime">29838</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownUserSessionTime">7134</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownUserPolicyTime">3</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownUserProfilesTime">4</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownSystemSessionsTime">20671</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownPreShutdownNotificationsTime">15578</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownServicesTime">5002</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownKernelTime">2032</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownRootCauseStepImprovementBits">0</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownRootCauseGradualImprovementBits">0</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownRootCauseStepDegradationBits">91</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownRootCauseGradualDegradationBits">91</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownIsDegradation">true</Data>

<Data Name="ShutdownTimeChange">14088</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

MytchLaw, Feb 22, 2016
  3. Slow Shut Down

Hello Mytch,

We regret for the inconvenience. Let me assist you.

Now, to be able to understand the issue better, let us know a few more details on the below questions.

• What is the make and model of the computer you are using?
    • Did you make any recent changes to the computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you see any other functionality issues before this one came up? Or was it an abrupt event?
    • What is the edition of windows 10 installed in your computer?
    • Does the same issue occurs with all the other users in the computer?
    • Do you have a System Restore point set in Windows prior to the issue?

As an initial recommendation, I suggest you to check for the latest updates in Windows 10 which helps the PC to make optimal use of Windows 10 capabilities as well as fixing any missing links in performance of the operating system.

To check for updates now, go to Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select
    Check for updates. If Windows Update says that your PC is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available.

Next, boot the computer in safe mode with networking, and check if the issue still persist. Once this is done, reboot the computer in normal mode and check.

Refer: Start your PC in safe mode in Windows

Write to us with the updated status and the required information for us to be able to assist you further.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 22, 2016
  4. jds63 Win User

Slow shut down

My guess is a program running is not closing automatically, causing this lag in shutdown, but will usually tell you when it is trying to shutdown.
    Also Windows closes a number of system processes when it shuts down, packing up data as needed to make sure the system boots cleanly the next time it’s needed, sometimes one of these processes hangs with no details of the process like stated before.

Need to first take a look at your startup items in Task Manager then Performance tab in same place, this might be due to a third party software.

jds63, Feb 22, 2016
  5. Maty Win User
    I know what you're talking about (I think), that screen when you try to shut down or restart and on the bottom there are 2 options, force restart or cancel. I don't get that screen though. I have cleaned all of the cache, cookies, temp files, ran anti-virus, etc. make sure I get it all nice and clean. Then I shut it down, takes long time. I turn it on, not too bad to boot up but a bit of time to get the desktop loaded. Then I restart it immediately and it takes forever, I don't open any programs or anything. If you think it's a background program, how can I find it?

6. jds63 Win User
    Take a look at the second post here and use the link provided along with the Event Viewer to track the problem, then post back what you find here. I did not know had a restart or boot up slowdown also.
    Computer takes forever to shut down.

Where exactly are you seeing force restart and cancel ?

jds63, Feb 22, 2016
  7. Maty Win User
    I just got a lot of errors for shutdown but no specific information. On the boot up information I got a little more out of it, but I'm not sure what it means, here it means.

Slow shut down [​IMG]

8. jds63 Win User

Slow shut down

Windows Audio endpoint Builder is service should start automatically, audio based service for windows audio should not be disabled.
    Need to look at ones marked in red,critical or error, i see more boot issues listed.

jds63, Feb 22, 2016
  9. Maty Win User
    That service was set to automatic. The only service that I changed was the Bonjour service, but i changed back at some later date. Here are the 2 critical events. One is in the popup window and the other one is at the bottom description box. What can you gather out of this? There's not much information. Thank you for your help by the way.

Slow shut down [​IMG]

10. jds63 Win User
    Well this is just telling me how long it took to boot up, wondering if this will be best place to find the culprit, check a few more, next time use copy to text to the right, so do not have to post a screen capture.

Can take a look here next time before you shutdown make sure you exited all your open programs, then open Task Manager and look at first tab in the applications list it should be empty except for task manager and the CPU should be low only 1% or so.If it is high check down the list in the process tab and see what is causing it in percentage under CPU. Most cases as mentioned before recheck your startup tab, eliminate undeeded startups there, with shutdowns this is a cause most likely of a third party process not shutting down completely or corrupted. Most slow boots are caused by too many running processes.

You upgraded to Windows 10 from process of download to PC or media Creation tool over the existing operating system ? Where system drivers updated afterwards from PC manufacturer's site ? Do you have many third party software you carried over from the older operating system or added anything recently ?

jds63, Feb 22, 2016
  11. Maty Win User
    I checked the CPU with all of the programs closed and it was at a pretty stable 3-6%. However I had one occasion where it was off the roof with 80%+. I checked the processes and it was a 'Windows Local Host' and 'Windows Local Host (Network)' taking up all of the CPU. I don't know what they were.

I upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1. I did a clean installation, didn't carry anything over. I backed up everything and reinstalled everything, at least to the best of my knowledge. I haven't done any major installation recently, just AVG, teamviewer, and dropbox.

12. Some software just cause lags, you can download bat, run as admin, it will shorten up the time.

TairikuOkami, Feb 22, 2016
  13. jds63 Win User

Slow shut down

Local host, a Hostname is the term for the label that is assigned to any device connected to a computer network and is used to identify the device across the web.

Possible some software is accessing internet at the time of CPU activity, Teamviewer has remote access to internet, i am not familiar with Dropbox and how it works exactly but does use your network for file sharing, sync and storage. How about startup items in Task Manager ?

When was last time you did a full system scan for Virus and Maleware ? I see you have AVG is it the full version or free ? Try also running Malwarebytes Antimalware, pick the free version Antivirus, Anti-Spyware, & Anti-Malware Software

Just to try to rule out any infections on system. Telling me only 3 third party software products on system ? You have updated important system drivers for this PC from ASUS ?

jds63, Feb 22, 2016
  14. Maty Win User
    Thanks Tairiku, I'll give that a shot.

I keep the startup services in check. The only one with a high impact is the NVIDIA graphics card. Then AVG and 1 or 2 others have a medium impact, about 6 low ones and the rest disabled.

The AVG is the free version. And just now I went to check the task manager and it is using like 90% of my CPU, AVG resident shield. I wonder if that's causing a problem, a recent update from it or something. Are you allowed to suggest an antivirus here? I have Malwarebytes and I do run it weekly. I have ruled out the virus and malware possibility a long time ago. I did several scans with those 2, windows defender, and a few other.

The drivers are all updated for Windows 10. I updated to Win10 when it came out and it wasn't a problem back then, it is only recently. Do you not think it's something with the CLSID? I did a little research on that and it seems like it's kind of a problem.

15. jds63 Win User
    That bat file mentioned is alright, but just a possible band-aid to your problem. NVIDIA startup you mention might be this new Nvbackend .exe file that was added recently with new drivers, i am still trying to figure out usage of this startup execution file myself, but see it as not harmful in anyway even though it has a high impact.
    Should not have too many startups if barely have any 3rd party software on this PC.

Saying AVG has 2 startups in startup tab in task manager or see it running in processes ? Not familiar with using AVG but may be causing you some issues, you can use just Windows Defender and MalwareBytes free to be protected enough as long as you practice safe surfing habits. Maybe check settings in AVG and schedules on scans, might be running a scan or updating at the time you see the increase unless there is an issue between it and Windows 10.

When you say driver i do not only mean Video card, Network adapter, sound device, i am also meaning chipset, controllers and some other important ones to system.

CLSID some explanation to it, not sure would cause this issue unless a virus
    http://www.enigmasoftware.com/what-i...-registry-key/

jds63, Feb 22, 2016
Thema:

Slow shut down

1. Slow shut down - Similar Threads - Slow shut down

2. Slow startup and slow shut down help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow startup and slow shut down help: Hi guys,So I have some problems with my PC. There was a point in time where my PC couldn't shut down properly and each time i pressed shut down from windows, it keeps rebooting. My fix to that was to fiddle with something from the registry where I had to uncheck something. It...
  3. Slow startup and slow shut down help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow startup and slow shut down help: Hi guys,So I have some problems with my PC. There was a point in time where my PC couldn't shut down properly and each time i pressed shut down from windows, it keeps rebooting. My fix to that was to fiddle with something from the registry where I had to uncheck something. It...
  4. Slow startup and slow shut down help

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Random shut down, suddenly shut down, shut down unexpectedly: My laptop is Lenovo 120s 14iap. Recently it keeps randomly shutting down. I checked event viewer and it shows some error event id 41 63, 6008. I did reinstall windows, updated the driver from windows update, and tried some fix from internet. Here i've managed system event log...
  6. PC Slow to shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    PC Slow to shut down: Does any one have a problem lately with windows taking a long time to shut down when requested it seems ti ignore the request and then minutes later it shuts down. has an update caused this any help would be apreciated...
  7. Windows 10 slow to shut down

Windows 10 slow to shut down: A client came in with a personal built desktop that is slow to shut down. After clicking shut down, the computer seems to not take the input and he is able to use the computer for about 10 seconds. Then the shutting down screen appears for at least thirty seconds. Event...
  8. win 10 slow start and shut down

in Windows 10 Customization
    win 10 slow start and shut down: I hope I'm in the right forum I have a win 10 pc with a hhd and ssd. Win 10 OS is installed on the ssd. both bootup and shut down (from the time I clicked shut down to the lite on the pc going off for shut down) would take something less than 5 or 6 seconds. Then shut down...
  9. Slow shut down problem

Slow shut down problem: Hi everyone! I have a problem with Windows 10 Pro 64bit version, shut down process. Every time it does the same thing, programs like Steam, Origin, Logitech Gaming Software, can't shutdown immediately, but instead a little window pops up asking me to end all of these...
  10. Slow boot, slow file explorer, slow trash bin and no shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Slow boot, slow file explorer, slow trash bin and no shut down: Hello, Today, I was messing around with a PS2 emulator (PCSX2) on my computer, and when I decided to restart the computer to move some files (the file explorer was saying "this folder is in use by another program"), my computer took a whopping three minutes to boot! When I...