Windows 10: Slow shutdown and restart

Discus and support Slow shutdown and restart in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10. However, during a shutdown or restart, it takes 2-3 minutes for my computer to perform a fore... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by hunuok, Sep 10, 2015.

1. hunuok Win User

Slow shutdown and restart

I have recently upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10.

However, during a shutdown or restart, it takes 2-3 minutes for my computer to perform a fore mentioned.

I get the "Shutting Down" or "Restarting" message for an age followed by a "cannot shutdown due to the following apps" message for a split second although the app's name is not shown nor listed.

Is there a way to find out what this app is so I can uninstall/reinstall it?

Thank you in advance.

:)

hunuok, Sep 10, 2015
  2. Pavan_N Win User

Slow Shutdown and Restart

Hi,

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter to resolve the random power issue.

Run the built in Power Troubleshooter on the system.

Follow the steps below to run power troubleshooter.

• Type troubleshooting in the search box. Click on the
              Troubleshooting from the search results so obtained.

• Click on View all on the left pane on the next Window.

• Pick Power from the list so available, this would launch
              Power Troubleshooter

• In the Power Troubleshooter, you have to click
              Next option

• This will start the automatic detection and fixing of issues.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to perform a clean boot to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

How to troubleshoot problem by performing clean boot in Windows:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Refer
    "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting"
    to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Also make sure all pending updates are installed on the computer.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Pavan_N, Sep 10, 2015
  3. Slow Shutdown and Restart

hey community members, hello to you all...

it has been a week, since my laptop's taking too long to shutdown and even more to restart.. it takes approximately about 15-20 mins for shutting down and even more for restarting... the startup is fast (a minute)..

• i've tried sfc /scannow commands and did not find any problems there...
    • i tried troubleshooting power options (it did set back everything to defaults, and somehow the shutdown process was fast (teeny tiny bit fast), but who wants the display to turn off after few minutes? )
    • Fast Startup option is already checked
    i read that enabling VerboseStatus on registry to see the process that's actually slowing down, and i found out that System Event Notification Service is taking too long ...

haven't yet checked it in safe mode...

i think System Event Notification Service is the main culprit.. it has been 15 minutes since i shutdown my laptop but it is still waiting for SENS (i am on desktop right now).. is there any other options that i could try?? or resetting back is the only option?

SujashJoshi, Sep 10, 2015
  4. Snakeyes Win User

Check your Event Viewer – Applications and Services Logs/Microsoft/Windows/Diagnostic-Performance/Operational.
    You can expand the different warnings (Event IDs 200 – 200 X) which should help identify the offending app.

Best of luck

Snakeyes, Sep 11, 2015
  5. hunuok Win User
    Thank you for the reply.

Looking at the logs, there is no mention of the app name causing the slow shutdown.
    Not sure if the image helps. I may just resort to a clean install.

Slow shutdown and restart [​IMG]

PS. Love your sound card specs.*Smile

hunuok, Sep 11, 2015
  6. Snakeyes Win User
    While a clean install is always a good idea, your event viewer seems to indicate a Task Scheduler problem. Check out the event IDs 110 and 101. When you open them click on Details that will give you some idea of what's causing delays. Similarly click on Details on event ID's 200 and 203. You could also be having a server connection issue. All these are guesses but not atypical to the type of event IDs showing up in your event viewer.

Snakeyes, Sep 11, 2015
  7. jackie Win User
    Goto Start > Settings > Privacy > Turn Off everything. Try if this helps.

jackie, Sep 11, 2015
  8. hunuok Win User

Apologies for the late reply.

I bit the bullet and performed a clean install. However, MS will not let me activate this version even though it was activated the first time.. I have not made any hardware changes.

Do I have to install my copy of Win7 and then upgrade to Win10 again?

Is there ANY way to clean install Win10?

Thanks for your time.

hunuok, Sep 13, 2015
  9. jackie Win User
    Thats Right, BTW are you getting any error while activation?

IF you have problems then clean install windows 7, Make sure its fully activated, Upgrade to windows 10 Using Media Creation tool.

Now Clean install windows 10 with Flash drive, Skip everytime it asks for key. Once installation completes, it should automatically activate your copy.

jackie, Sep 13, 2015
  10. hunuok Win User
    Hi Jackie.

When I clean installed it knew who I was from my account yet still would not activate.

I am installing Win7 again and will follow your advice.

Why doesn't MS give out keys like the 'old' days? Lol.

hunuok, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Slow shutdown and restart - Similar Threads - Slow shutdown restart

2. Why is Windows 11 slow to Shutdown and Restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Windows 11 slow to Shutdown and Restart: Why is Windows 11 slow to Shutdown and Restart https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-windows-11-slow-to-shutdown-and-restart/ba71a796-5acf-45e1-accc-da6317471ece
  3. Why is Windows 11 slow to Shutdown and Restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Windows 11 slow to Shutdown and Restart: Why is Windows 11 slow to Shutdown and Restart https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-is-windows-11-slow-to-shutdown-and-restart/ba71a796-5acf-45e1-accc-da6317471ece
  4. slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    slow shutdown: just happened today it took me 10 mins to shutdown idk what I did Im just playing games when i had enough i closed my pc it took me 10 mins to shutdown https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-shutdown/0c4677be-7179-41d0-9584-4457d8c88f95
  5. System is slow at restarting, but fast at shutdown and startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    System is slow at restarting, but fast at shutdown and startup: [ATTACH] I have newly installed a system. Since I installed the system. The restart time keeps around 15 mins. The shutdown time is around 10s, as is the startup. This PC uses an SSD as system drive, and have 8G DDR4 RAM. I installed the upgrades. disabled the fast...
  6. Slow shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow shutdown: I've recently upgraded to the 2004 build and since doing so everthing is fine except when i shutdown, before i didnt even have time to reach out to turn the monitor off , now it seems to take quite a while, I've done a Google search for the problem, and tried what was...
  7. laptop restart and shutdown slow process

laptop restart and shutdown slow process: its taking lot of time for shutting down and restarting my laptop, screen gets off and still power button is showing on . almost it takes 1-2 minutes to shut down and restart...
  8. Windows 10 1909 slow shutdown and restart

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 1909 slow shutdown and restart: I have windows installed on a SSD. After updating my computer takes around 4 minutes to shutdown and 4 minutes to restart. Before the update it took seconds. What can I do? Fast start is disabled and did the same thing when turned on. There is no more updates and there is...
  9. windows 10 slow restart slow start after shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 slow restart slow start after shutdown: new win 10 in new del laptop. ver 1809, start after shutdown : 1 min 52 sec restart : more than 2 minutes. how reduce this time ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-slow-restart-slow-start-after-shutdown/44277b0f-bbe8-4c5a-8a95-45c205c50e2e
  10. slow boot/shutdown/restart

slow boot/shutdown/restart: I have a lenovo ideapad z510 with a Sandisk Ultra II 120 GB as the main disk and a second 1TB HDD instead of the DVDwr, my problem is that it takes ~ 25-30 seconds to boot/shutdown/restart according to Event Viewer, and considering the Ultra II specs that's a lot, it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 sens long shutdown

2. system event notification service slow restarts