Windows 10: Slow Speed to External Hard Drive

Discus and support Slow Speed to External Hard Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello! I have this external Hard Drive Intenso Memory Case 2,5" USB 3.0 1TB When i move files from my PC to the DISK i dont have a good speed! I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Thanos92, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Thanos92 Win User

Slow Speed to External Hard Drive

Hello! I have this external Hard Drive Intenso Memory Case 2,5" USB 3.0 1TB

When i move files from my PC to the DISK i dont have a good speed! I can say the move speed is terrible! Of curse
    i have connected to USB 3.0 Port! Check the images!

Slow Speed to External Hard Drive [​IMG]

Slow Speed to External Hard Drive [​IMG]

:)

Thanos92, Nov 25, 2017
  2. La-Rel E Win User

Error Code 0x800703EE : Transferring 24GB video file to client's 32GB Flash Drive (Windows 10)

Thank you Argel for replying,

• I tried to transfer another file (smaller file size), but encountered the same error code.
    • I was able to copy the file from the
      external hard drive to my computer. From there, I attempted to copy the file from the
      computer to the flash drive. The transfer was interrupted with the same error code. (I noticed the write speeds are significantly different --
      the external hard drive-to-computer speed was about 10x faster than the computer-to-flash drive speed. That said, the latter is around the same speed as copying from the external hard drive to the flash drive.)
    • I do not have access to another flash drive to retry the transfer on a different device.
    When I watched the video after transferring it from the
    external hard drive to the computer, it played perfectly. No corruption, which leads me to think the error has something to do with the flash drive. Again, I received it BRAND NEW (in packaging).

Hope this helps,

La-Rel

La-Rel E, Nov 25, 2017
  3. Data transfer is very slow

What is the brand and model of the laptop? Slow speeds could be attributed to an issue with the USB controller. Whats the write speed your getting when copying to the drive? It should show it in the window. Have you checked for updated chipset drivers?
    Does this happen with other USB thumb drives or external drives?

Andre Da Costa, Nov 25, 2017
  4. Slow Speed to External Hard Drive

What kind of files are you moving to the drive? Are the all large in size or are they small picture files?

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 25, 2017
  5. Thanos92 Win User
    Hey,

I move images and some .txt files!

Thanos92, Nov 26, 2017
  6. I find that drive performance should not be based on moving a bunch of little files, but rather single larger ones. Use a tool like CrystalDiskMark to make sure your hard drive is running the up-to-speed.

Software - Crystal Dew World

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 26, 2017
  7. Helmut Win User
    That is usual when copying large numbers of small files. Try say 3 x 1GB files instead and it will be much faster.

Think of it as educational.

ZIP those 15,651 files in to one say 3 GB file then try copying that file across.

Helmut, Nov 26, 2017
  8. Quexos Win User

I would NOT call that normal at all. I have this external USB3 enclosure with an old 320 GB Seagate HDD in it, and the slowest it ever goes is about 72 MB/s and "usual" speeds are 80-120 MB/s (as fast as it ever was even inside my PC on a SATA port). I have no idea what would cause that kind of slow down, assuming you're not saturating the USB with a fast wireless network adapter or something, sorry.

Quexos, Nov 26, 2017
  9. @Quexos, what kind of files are you moving to the drive when recording those speeds?

The @OP should certainly benchmark their hard drive correctly, rather than relying on Windows's file transfer speed graph.

Masterchiefxx17, Nov 27, 2017
  10. Quexos Win User
    Everything conceivable that I keep on my multiple synced backup drives. Everything from all the drivers and software for several of my PC builds to a few GB of MP3s, photos, videos, text files, Windows/Linux ISOs, to full 5-8 GB backup images of OS partitions.

Screw benchmarking "correctly"...he's getting slow downs to almost nothing. I see a short burst (windows lying) of ~normal speed in his screenshot followed by a near halt. I would guess he's hitting a brick wall on something when the cache/buffer is filled up. Hell, I get 38-44 MBs when I connect it to my other PC that only has USB2.

My gut reaction would be to say the external drive or the enclosure (+it's chipset/controller) that it's in...is junk. But that is just a gut reaction...could be USB related, USB driver, some goofy XHCI setting in the bios...iommu setting? A USB wireless adapter simultaneously downloading the entire internet @FIOS Gigabit speeds to his pr0n folder...on the same external drive!?!? Who knows.

I see the same cache/buffer behavior on mine, but mine lies to me and says it's doing 220 MB/s or the like then stabilizes at 70-100, depending on type of files and if reading or writing, etc. Here's a quick test just for fun. Moving a folder with 3.24 Gigabytes of random files, largest ones probably about 200 MB from my "backup" drive in the PC to my USB3 external drive.

Quexos, Nov 29, 2017
  11. Thanos92 Win User
    WOW. You are right guys! When i RAR all my little files and i get 1 RAR file 4GB the move i get 110 Mbps speed!

Thanks a lot guys! *Party

Thanos92, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Slow Speed to External Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Slow Speed External

2. External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.: I had an external hard drive that worked great until suddenly whenever it was plugged in my Pc would run very slow and I could not download anything on the external hard drive, so I threw it out and got a new one, but I am having the same problem on the new one. Help me!!!!!...
  3. External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive slowing down pc and very slow downloads.: I had an external hard drive that worked great until suddenly whenever it was plugged in my Pc would run very slow and I could not download anything on the external hard drive, so I threw it out and got a new one, but I am having the same problem on the new one. Help me!!!!!...
  4. USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    USB transfer speed from external hard drive to external hard drive: I'm having a hard time finding which USB ports on my laptop and its dock are v3 or v2 (or less possibly), but when I tried two different ports (I think one is v3), they both seemed to transfer at about 150KBps... which seems slow even for USB v2. I'm copying files from an...
  5. Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increase the read / write speed of an external hard drive: Hello, I appealed to the Microsoft community to ask for your opinion on increasing the read / write speed of an external hard drive. Thank you! Wait for response! A good day!...
  6. External hard drive only slow on my laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    External hard drive only slow on my laptop: I bought brand new laptop Lenovo - S340-15API Touch 15.6" Touch-Screen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 - 12GB Memory - 1TB Hard DriveModel: 81QG0007US SKU: 6350523 and when I use Seagate external hard drive model SRD00F1 my hard drive works super slow. I thought my hard drive had the...
  7. External hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive: When I plug in my hard drive I get a message (F:\is not accessible.) Access is denied. Why, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive/7469afee-e3f1-4499-9926-b55a995943bb
  8. External Hard Drive Is Slow

External Hard Drive Is Slow: Is there a bug in the Windows or hardware interface to external hard drives? This question has been asked indirectly in nearly every forum over the last decade and is usually associated with image backups of any sort. Why the focus on image backups? Because they take...
  9. external hard drives

external hard drives: Earlier this week windows did an update and since then it is failing to recognise some of my external hard drive, also windows keeps crashing and re-booting, everything was working fine until update...
  10. Slow internal hard drive tansfer speeds

Slow internal hard drive tansfer speeds: Hi I'm getting very slow hard drive transfer speeds. Both drives are SATA: Seagate Barracude Green 2TB 6Gb/s 5900RPM ST2000DL003 HGST 4TB 6Gb/s 7200RPM HDN724040ALE640 I'm transferring from the Seagate to the HGST. I'm copying over some video tutorial courses,...