Windows 10: Slow SSD Possibly

Discus and support Slow SSD Possibly in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi All Ran a benchmark for my Western Digital Blue SSD 250gb, am using the Intel 100/200 storage driver, don't think PC supports Rapid storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by AMDMan2016, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Slow SSD Possibly

Hi All

Ran a benchmark for my Western Digital Blue SSD 250gb, am using the Intel 100/200 storage driver, don't think PC supports Rapid storage technology that I can tell, Store bought Asus G11CD, SSD was my own, transferred from older system, I can afford a newer Samsung 250gb SSD at Christmas if need be

:)

AMDMan2016, Dec 6, 2017

2. slow ssd

my ssd has really slow performance.

Slow SSD Possibly [​IMG]

marcuschan1, Dec 6, 2017
  3. Arjay Dom Win User
    slow ssd

Hi,

Slow SSD performance can be caused by several factors like Hybernation mode and Superfetch service.

As an initial troubleshooting step, try disabling Hibernate mode since it is unnecessary for the SSD system as it takes too much time to boot from it.

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter the administrator credentials once prompted.
    • In the Command Prompt window, type or copy and paste this command:

powercfg -h off
    • Press Enter.

Note: Once Hibernate is already disabled, you can also free up some space to improve its performance.

We also recommenddisabing Superfetch as one way to optimize the SSD performance:

• Press Windows key + R to open the Run
      dialog box.
    • Type services.msc and press Enter.
    • Scroll down and right-click on Superfetch.
    • Select Stop.

Update us with the outcome so we can provide further assistance.

*If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.*

Arjay Dom, Dec 6, 2017
  4. brummyfan Win User

Slow SSD Possibly

brummyfan, Dec 6, 2017
  5. Oh ok well I know it's Serial Ata 3.0--6gbs, guess just the design of system I suppose, and guess nothing too much to worry on I guess in this case

Could my SSD be showing lower speed that rated speed for Western Digital Blue 250 SSD, due to me switching Antivirus programs way too often, as I can't decide which one to stay with, used Avast for last 14 years, and then keep being tempted to try Defender, so I do a bit, then end up switching back to Avast. If so I can try to do a system refresh asap before Christmas, and new games to install arrive

AMDMan2016, Dec 6, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Do you have AHCI protocol enabled, or are you using IDE? I'd guess you are using AHCI....

But AS SSD should show you:
    Download AS SSD and start it; it will tell you directly what driver you use:
    - pciide.sys = microsoft IDE driver
    - msahci = Microsoft AHCI driver
    - iastor.sys = Intel AHCI/RAID driver

(See screenshots in following)

Why do i need AHCI with a SSD Drive (Guide Here!) ... - Crucial Community

dalchina, Dec 8, 2017
  7. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Probably not the cause of that somewhat slow SSD but keep in mind that most AV softwares hook into the kernel of the OS making them often impossible to unininstall cleanly.

Also, the more the SSD is filled up the slower it will become. Plus, manufacturer's announced speed are optimum speeds which may vary if you run a different benchmarking programme.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 8, 2017
  8. Slow SSD Possibly

I'm Using iaStorA--Which should be the Intel Storage Controller, am using AHCI as well, Have plenty of space left on the SSD at this time as well, so maybe all fine and nothing for me to worry on

AMDMan2016, Dec 8, 2017
  9. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

I tend to agree.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 8, 2017
  10. Clintlgm Win User
    Basicly your running about max speed for the SATA controller!! your write speed could be a little faster this is my 4 year old Samsung 850 Pro about 50% full I just use it for storage I don't like having spinners in my notebook. SATA SSD are not going to work much faster than this
    Slow SSD Possibly [​IMG]

It won't matter whether the you use the 2.5" format or M.2 format SSD as long as it has to run through the SATA controller these are top speeds.
    as compared to M.2 PCIe NVME SSD either running on RAID or NVME drivers
    Slow SSD Possibly [​IMG]
    This drive is also approximately 50% full and runs my OS

Nither of these benchmarks were taken on a prepared SSD this are my SSD that I'm using daily 8 hours a day or so.

The PCIe buss is pretty much maxed out with these drives I believe about 3000 mbs is tops for that bus so we'll have to see what they come up with next.

Clintlgm, Dec 8, 2017
  11. Yeah it could be a little faster, but not sure if it's the SSD, or Something in Windows or Bios, or what lol, could just be i'm running at max system will allow

SSD speed is 3.0(6gbs) so that's good there
    AHCI driver is Intels driver, which should be fine
    bios should be set properly, though I installed SSD myself when I received PC in September, so might check the UEFI bios later on

AMDMan2016, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Slow SSD Possibly

1. Slow SSD Possibly - Similar Threads - Slow SSD Possibly

2. Slow performance on ssd.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow performance on ssd.: My laptop lenovo ideapad320 was so slow in booting and other daily use , so i bought an ssd and installed windows 10 on it and it was good and fast Now i upgraded to win11 , my boot is still so fast but my daily use of the windows is so slow.Note : in downloaded all the...
  3. Slow performance on ssd.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow performance on ssd.: My laptop lenovo ideapad320 was so slow in booting and other daily use , so i bought an ssd and installed windows 10 on it and it was good and fast Now i upgraded to win11 , my boot is still so fast but my daily use of the windows is so slow.Note : in downloaded all the...
  4. Suddenly slow SSD speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Suddenly slow SSD speed: I have a NVMe PC771 NVMe SK hynix 1tb SSD and just recently my SSD started getting read speeds of 100-200kb/s and write speeds of 100kb-200mb/s.I don't remember messing with any settings maybe I have I'm not sure but I've also been getting FPS drops in games....
  5. SSD DRIVE DOWNLOADS SLOW

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SSD DRIVE DOWNLOADS SLOW: HELP! Every time I try to download anything onto my SSD, the download goes at full speed, stops completely, goes at full speed, and so on. It does not do this with my HDD, so i think something's wrong with the drive, however it never did this before. I don't know if there's a...
  6. Slow SSD Write Speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow SSD Write Speed: Slow SSD Write Speed Windows 10 build 1909 Recently I have installed 480 GB AS340 PANTHER SATA III SSD. I was getting good Read and write speed well above 500 MB/s Read, and 300 MB/s write. But it's been one week now I am getting my writing speed throttled in a midway. From...
  7. SSD slowed down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    SSD slowed down: Hello, Since I traveled yesterday my computer slowed down significantly and is really acting up. After some digging, I found out that my SSD is the issue. It loads everything fine but in large intervals. Therefore if I want to open up my browser, it might take no time at...
  8. Slow Cold Boot on SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow Cold Boot on SSD: Hi My problem is slow boot time on SSD (NVMe 960 EVO) for first boot but the warm boot is not bad! This happens after updating some drivers or Windows itself! Also i disabled SysMain service and not help. Is there a way to measure which driver take long time to boot or some...
  9. Slow Boot on SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow Boot on SSD: Hi, I recently upgraded from an FX 8350 to a ryzen 5 1600x. This meant getting a new Mobo etc. With it came an SSD from Adata (120gb). I decided to install windows on the ssd and keep my 1tb HDD for games etc. I wiped the HDD (full clean, not quick one) and then installed...
  10. SSD possibly failing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD possibly failing: Hello, I've been having an issue where my SSD has been disappearing when a game or something just suddenly freezes/won't respond and I'll end up having to do a hard reboot to get windows to restart and function.. when it takes a minute to load up and i login.. the SSD is...