Windows 10: Slow transfer rates

Discus and support Slow transfer rates in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Been dealing with this for awhile and I'm honestly not sure what could be causing it. So this happens when I'm moving files/folders from my PC to my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Citrus, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Citrus Win User

Slow transfer rates

Been dealing with this for awhile and I'm honestly not sure what could be causing it.

So this happens when I'm moving files/folders from my PC to my external drive -

Slow transfer rates [​IMG]

The speeds are good for about 5 seconds then it 'throttles' to literally 30kb/s or lower.

I'm wondering if my external drive is dying or something else is going wrong.

I am using a USB 3.1 port and my external drive is the Seagate Expansion 500GB USB 3.0.

Would appreciate some input, thank you.

:)

Citrus, Jan 21, 2018
  2. mo_shef Win User

N97 Painfully slow to transfer files to mass storage

The Mass Storage mode on the N97 is abit slow like the N95 8GB. N96 and N86 have faster mass storage mode data transfer rate. On N95 8GB it will transfer data at the rate of 800KB, 900KB etc but were as on N96 it will transfer at the rate of 6.2MBs n up.

mo_shef, Jan 21, 2018
  3. Windows 10 extremely slow after a short time/while

Another asinine Microsoft response and still no solution to the abysmal slow file transfer rates in Windows 10.

Let's break this down so even a Microsoft tech can understand.

File transfer rate in Windows 7: OK

File transfer rate in Windows 8: OK

File transfer rate in Windows 8.1:OK

File transfer rate in Windows 10: What took seconds now takes hours.

The ONLY change in the system (myself and many others) was that it was updated to Windows 10 from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. That's it. No other changes were made.

FIX THE PROBLEM MICROSOFT.

pdcorcoran, Jan 21, 2018
  4. Slow transfer rates

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left. Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot. You will see the following prompt:

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Add Reply button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Send below the Reply box.

FreeBooter, Jan 21, 2018
  5. Samuria Win User
    Do you have anti virus as this can scan files on read and write slowing it?

Samuria, Jan 21, 2018
  6. BKnight Win User
    Copying lots of small files usually causes this.
    Trying copy a large file (>1GB) and see if your speed is faster.

BKnight, Jan 22, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    Quite so.

Also copy one thing at a time (or one folder or whatever). Don't start copying "C:\Games\FolderA and then try to start copying "C:\Games\FolderB. If you do your speed will plummet - especially if your from disk is HDD not SSD. As most disks have some sort of write cache what you write to is less important than what you read from. I don't know why but Windows doesn't queue these things - it tries to do both at once and performance is terrible.

If you have HDD for C and copying one large file is still terrible consider running defrag - both on C and on your external drive if it is nearly full.

lx07, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Slow transfer rates

1. Slow transfer rates - Similar Threads - Slow transfer rates

2. Transfer rate...really?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Transfer rate...really?: Hi,Recently, when copying files from one folder to another large parts of folders or large files included, the transfer rate towards the end of the copy dies/goes to zero, and stays there.I have paused and unpaused..no changeI have restarted...no change.It is quite unexpected...
  3. Transfer rate...really?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer rate...really?: Hi,Recently, when copying files from one folder to another large parts of folders or large files included, the transfer rate towards the end of the copy dies/goes to zero, and stays there.I have paused and unpaused..no changeI have restarted...no change.It is quite unexpected...
  4. Transfer rate...really?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Hard drive transfer rate slow-help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive transfer rate slow-help: Sorry for my language ı am not native,Hi, I have a 1TB Internal Hard Drive of Toshiba brand it have 5400rpm in past it transfer rate used to go 60 to 80 m/b continuously, but now it start from 60 to 80 m/b for only one second and degrade to 10 to 30 m/b. When I got this...
  6. Slow data transfer rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow data transfer rate: I don't understand what the issue is. I'm moving 85gigs from one folder to another within the same folder on the same drive which is a hybrid drive and I've seen it go way faster but small or large it never goes over 55mb/s 151820
  7. VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate

VERY Slow file Copy Transfer Rate: I am not sure if I am having a software setting or hardware issue. I just installed a new SSD in my laptop no problem there, instead of wasting the original 2TB HDD I bought a CDROM Caddy to replace the CDROM drive. The 2TB HDD is secured in the caddy and connected via the...
  8. Slow/delay/stuck/freeze transfer rate when move files

Slow/delay/stuck/freeze transfer rate when move files: Hello, I have a problem when I moved files from drive to drive I have 3 drives include - SSD1 which come with notebook - SSD2 Samsung EVO 970 and HDD which come with notebook At first, I moved files from SSD1 to HDD and it was very slow It has many cases include -...
  9. Slow USB Transfer rate

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Slow USB Transfer rate: My lappie has USB3 ports. Or course I know the clock down to whatever device you attach. I have a 500G Seagate External rated at USB2. Meaning my transfers should be 480 megabits per second (mbps), or 60 megabytes per second (MBps), correct? So why am I getting half that...
  10. VERY Slow transfer rates between separate internal HDD's

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    VERY Slow transfer rates between separate internal HDD's: I've got a 2Tb disk which is almost full. I'm trying to copy the contents to a 3Tb disk, however, i'm getting ridiculously slow transfer rates. I've tried cloning, and it gives me estimated completion of cloning of over 30 days. I've tried Teracopy, and it gives me similar...