Windows 10: Slow, unmountable HDD result of dead battery during chkdsk

Discus and support Slow, unmountable HDD result of dead battery during chkdsk in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I was on my laptop trying to resize my OS partition with a 3rd party tool, and my battery died in the middle of it. I powered back on the next day... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Windows9, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Windows9 Win User

Slow, unmountable HDD result of dead battery during chkdsk

So I was on my laptop trying to resize my OS partition with a 3rd party tool, and my battery died in the middle of it. I powered back on the next day to find that my OS was broken, so I reinstalled and ran chkdsk. I had another dead battery in the middle of that and now have "UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME" BSOD when I boot to it. I have replaced the hard drive, so it's not a big deal, but it would be nice to have that drive back to use in another laptop I have. It is also very slow when I use recovery media, sticking on every transition through steps. Is there a way I can repair this drive?

:)

Windows9, Feb 15, 2017
  2. TheeMarkW Win User

PC freezes after startup, nearly impossible to use windows recovery options

Bumping the post and providing more information:

I tried using the command prompt in the recovery settings to attempt to check the hdd for problems, but when trying to use chkdsk it responded

"The type if the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives."

I don't know if that has anything to do with my hdd which has windows on it, and as stated before i cannot login to my computer. Is my drive completely dead or is there a way to fix it?

TheeMarkW, Feb 15, 2017
  3. BSOD while playing game

The CPU is OK. Run CHKDSK with /R parameter on each partition and see if windows is able to correct the bad sector. (The command is chkdsk X: /r replacing X with Each HDD). Get the result of CHKDSK using Check Disk (chkdsk) - Read Event Viewer Log - Windows 7 Help Forums
    -Same for 10. and post back the results.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 15, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Best way is delete all partitions on the drive then create a new one and format

Samuria, Feb 15, 2017
  5. Berton Win User
    Agreed. I connect all computers to my battery backup/UPS when doing such work for my clients, even though a Notebook/Laptop/Tablet has a battery that, unless brand new, the condition of it is an unknown. Best to prevent as many issues before they happen. Looks to me like your battery is not giving the same endurance as when new. A battery generally has only a 1-year warranty. Being connected to AC power is good but power failures do happen.

Berton, Feb 15, 2017
  6. Windows9 Win User
    So if I use a USB dock/caddy to power and read it through USB and reformat it, that would work?

Windows9, Feb 15, 2017
  7. Samuria Win User
    yes it will work via usb

Samuria, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Slow, unmountable HDD result of dead battery during chkdsk - Similar Threads - Slow unmountable HDD

2. Dead Battery and Troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dead Battery and Troubleshooter: Apparently, my laptop has a dead battery. What I mean by that is that it'd shut down if I stopped charging it even for just a second. That's terrible I know. Any ideas?What is even more disgusting is the fact that the troubleshooter shows:...
  3. Dead Battery and Troubleshooter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dead Battery and Troubleshooter: Apparently, my laptop has a dead battery. What I mean by that is that it'd shut down if I stopped charging it even for just a second. That's terrible I know. Any ideas?What is even more disgusting is the fact that the troubleshooter shows:...
  4. Dead Battery and Troubleshooter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. hp battery is dead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hp battery is dead: CAN I PURCHASE A NEW BATTERY FOR MY HP desktop 9USU43L https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-battery-is-dead/5c45c76d-4d94-4b27-982e-d1bdb171f2a0
  6. hp battery is dead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hp battery is dead: CAN I PURCHASE A NEW BATTERY FOR MY HP desktop 9USU43L https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-battery-is-dead/5c45c76d-4d94-4b27-982e-d1bdb171f2a0
  7. Laptop Battery dead

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop Battery dead: Hi Windows 10 A 2 fold question. I have an HP Omen Laptop and for some time now that battery refuses to charge. For long time though the computer recognized that there was a battery as it always said it had 92% charge remaining but it would not charge. So first question is...
  8. HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results: Hiya tenforums, hoping you could give me some advice regarding a strange HDD issue. My brother has been having trouble with his HDD (F: drive), it will "stop" at random when downloading files, running big programs or moving files. He says GTA V would fail to load maps at...
  9. HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results

in Windows 10 Support
    HDD giving up for seemingly no reason. Weird CHKDSK results: Hiya tenforums, hoping you could give me some advice regarding a strange HDD issue. My brother has been having trouble with his HDD (F: drive), it will "stop" at random when downloading files, running big programs or moving files. He says GTA V would fail to load maps at...
  10. Chkdsk results

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Chkdsk results: Recently ran chkdsk, and looked at results in Event Viewer. It says it made corrections to a few files. How do I know which files it made corrections to ? (also, how do I locate and upload the relevant log file please?) (Windows Home, 64-bit, Version 1909) 147792