Windows 10: Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V

Discus and support Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; If I copy a file from C drive in a hyper-v install to a separate partition on the vhd, I get approx 100MB/s which is pretty much the maximum hdd speed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Dec 20, 2016.

1. cereberus Win User

Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V

If I copy a file from C drive in a hyper-v install to a separate partition on the vhd, I get approx 100MB/s which is pretty much the maximum hdd speed that contains the vhd.

However, when I copy a file to an external physical drive, it is very slow @ approx 5 MB/s.

Any suggestions how to fix?

:)

cereberus, Dec 20, 2016
  2. AlexOh7 Win User

Enabling Hyper-V after it has been disabled?

Hi, I was doing Android development on my Surface Pro 3. Use of the android emulators required hyper-v being turned off, so I turned it off. Now, I'm working on a UWP app, and use of the emulators requires hyper-v. I have enabled hyper-v in the "Turn Windows
    features on/off" tool, so it's enabled there, but it doesn't seem to be enabled elsewhere, possibly the BIOS. Problem is, there is no option in the SP3 BIOS to enable hyper-v. Windows tells me in two places (task manager, turn Win features on/off) that hyper-v
    is enabled. However, running the following script in powershell:

tells me that it is disabled. Visual Studio also tells me it is disabled.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

AlexOh7, Dec 20, 2016
  3. Playing slow and pixelated videos in Windows 10 media .

Make sure Hyper V is disabled. This is virtualization software that is part of Windows 10, and had the effect of slowing video and disabling audio for all media players. Under Control Panel, Turn Windows features on or off, uncheck Hyper V. (If it's not
    checked, then that's not your problem with slow video playback!)

Stephanie & Jim Tonti, Dec 20, 2016
  4. Cliff S New Member

Martin, how's the speed if you try copying through your network, from VM->Host?

Cliff S, Dec 20, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    Hi Cliff.

I quoted wrong speed for copying in vhd to another partition in same vhd - approx 30-40 MB/s which is reasonable when reading and writing to same hdd. I originally quoted the initial burst speed i.e when initially ram caching but it quickly dropped to 30-40 MB/s as I would expect but my brain was not in gear when I quoted figures.

It took me a few minutes to set up vm drive with right sharing permissions as it is a while since I have done this. It copied also at around 30-40 MB/s i.e. same speed. Many thanks for this suggestion - sorted my issue!

Any idea why direct copying in VM to attached physical device should be so slow?

cereberus, Dec 20, 2016
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Not really, it's just that I generally do file transfers between Windows machines, VMs and such using my home network, because I have File Explorer open anyhow.

Cliff S, Dec 21, 2016
  7. cereberus Win User
    Thanks - it was more for curiosity (I'll bet our resident guru K will know *Smile).

You have solved my problem - slightly less elegant but it does the job well.

I like to create image backups of the install using Macrium (more space efficient than just copying whole VM), but it was taking forever to write to external host drive but was reasonably fast to VM internal drive. But then copying the image to host drive was taking forever. So now I can copy the image to host relatively quickly now.

Many thanks again.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Slow writing to physical disks in Hyper-V - Similar Threads - Slow writing physical

2. How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??: Hello,I'm running on a critical issue.We have an Hyper-V server with 2 NICs configured. One is for the management that is an Intel PCIe card like remote desktop to Hyper-V server, or PSRemoting etc... and another one to provide network to VMs the default Realtek from the...
  3. How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to switch physical NICs in Hyper-V server ??: Hello,I'm running on a critical issue.We have an Hyper-V server with 2 NICs configured. One is for the management that is an Intel PCIe card like remote desktop to Hyper-V server, or PSRemoting etc... and another one to provide network to VMs the default Realtek from the...
  4. Hyper-v replication speed is slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hyper-v replication speed is slow: Hello. We are using Windows server 2019 with the latest updates. We have two servers .On the first name 1 we have several virtual machines running through Hyper-v. We have set up replication of these machines to a second server name2. Everything is working successfully, but...
  5. How to boot a physical partition in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to boot a physical partition in Hyper-V: I have physical linux partition on my drive how do i boot it in hyper-v https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-boot-a-physical-partition-in-hyper-v/021bc10f-d559-4607-abaa-7fa8ba734852
  6. Physical Machine not connected to Hyper-V systems

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Physical Machine not connected to Hyper-V systems: Hello Guys I have setup a lab on one standalone machine for Microsoft sccm. My base machine is having Windows 10 OS and not connected to outside Network. In Windows 10 Hyper-V i have build my Test DC with DHCP, SCCM Core server and two test machines. My Hyper-v machines...
  7. HYPER-V Non persistent Disks ???

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V Non persistent Disks ???: Hi folks particularly @Kari With HYPER V is it possible to create a training environment so that people can do exercises / tutorials on a VM but at the end of the session the Virtual HDD's are restored to the initial state. With VMWARE it's easy enough but I'm not sure...
  8. Virtual Hard disk created in hyper-v

Virtual Hard disk created in hyper-v: Hi There I am using windows 10 Pro, and had a virtual machine installed using Hyper-V with two virtual HDD in that VM. Recently I had some problem with my Windows 10 OS and had to reset my windows with keeping all the files and settings, and it installed a new windows...
  9. HYPER-V advantage over VMWARE when using physical HDD's

HYPER-V advantage over VMWARE when using physical HDD's: Hi there one HUGE advantage using HYPER-V over VMWARE is that HYPER-V can use physical disks directly (provided they are attached in the VM as SCSI - @Kari - thanks for sorting that out for me !!). This means you don't need to recover / reformat anything as the HDD's can...
  10. Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine: How to: Add or Remove Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine How to Add or Remove a Physical Hard Disk for Hyper-V Virtual Machine Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hyper-v gentoo physical disk slow

2. windows 10 hyper v disks slow

3. hyper v disk slow