Windows 10: Sluggish Machine, constant thrashing

Discus and support Sluggish Machine, constant thrashing in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I have a desktop Windows 10 x64 machine that's been working fine for months/years. It was automatically updated from Win7 last year. Ever since... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by adish, May 21, 2017.

1. adish Win User

Sluggish Machine, constant thrashing

Hi,

I have a desktop Windows 10 x64 machine that's been working fine for months/years. It was automatically updated from Win7 last year. Ever since the upgrade it is relatively slow. Last week I installed some more memory for a total of 16GB, in the hope that it would help.

It did not seem to have an effect.
    Boot and logon take a long time and even in a clean user, with nothing running, the PC is constantly working in the BG, thrashing with HDD activity.

ProcExp shows most of the CPU is System Idle Process.

I had some problems with my ESET AV on startup (see here).

I would really appreciate some help in understanding why it is so sluggish and what's going on the background.

Thanks!!

:)

adish, May 21, 2017
  2. Mark_685 Win User

How do you stop hard drive thrashing in windows 10

My hard drive is constantly thrashing on my new windows 10 machine. How do I stop this?

Mark_685, May 21, 2017
  3. Nokia Lumia 710/800 Issues/complaints/Problems - Really Windows Phone?

hi navnish,

Lumia is foolish & face thrash machine.

For foto edit you can download super camera app.

ravibhalekar123, May 21, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, please post a screenshot of your task manager, organising any columns of interest high to low by clicking on the relevant column tab. Repeat for different columns if useful.

Then do a clean boot (see Tutorial section or search if unsure how to do that)
    Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts
    and repeat the above.

Please also post a screenshot of your page file settings something like this:

Sluggish Machine, constant thrashing [​IMG]

To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon to the left of the video icon above your post. Thanks.

dalchina, May 21, 2017
  5. adish Win User
    Apparently I had a WPR session that was restarting on every boot.
    I reinstalled Win 10 SDK and ran a new WPR session.
    When this finished it apparently cleared the process that was restarting and things seem to have calmed down a bit and the PC is less sluggish.

There is still HDD access about twice a second, but I want to track it for a couple of days.

adish, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Sluggish Machine, constant thrashing - Similar Threads - Sluggish Machine constant

2. PC sluggish

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC sluggish: My PC is not performing well. The apps are slow and sometimes its not responding. The computer is only 2 years old and everytime there is an update I make sure that it will install properly. I dont have problem with the driver I want my PC become reliable but it is working...
  3. PC sluggish

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC sluggish: My PC is not performing well. The apps are slow and sometimes its not responding. The computer is only 2 years old and everytime there is an update I make sure that it will install properly. I dont have problem with the driver I want my PC become reliable but it is working...
  4. Sluggish Taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sluggish Taskbar: I have read many of the entries about the taskbar not working. I have even tried some of their fixes but to no avail.My issue is that many times when I close programs, or start programs, I go down to make the taskbar appear, it won't show for sometimes 15 to 30 seconds,...
  5. New Machine Constantly Having BSOD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Machine Constantly Having BSOD: Hello! I have a new pre-built machine that has the following hardware: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core Processor @ 3593 MHz 16 GB of Thermaltake ram RGB Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti OC 8GB B450 AORUS PRO WIFI rev. 1.x motherboard Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 ARGB cooler Long...
  6. sluggish mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    sluggish mouse: Hi, Im having an issue with my mouse feeling floaty and sluggish. Its not 1:1. ( Only in games). Might be because of the recent update? Its def not my mouse, because it happens on all of them. Also tried reinstalling drivers but wasnt succesfull. Does anyone have the same...
  7. Machine Constantly Failing

Machine Constantly Failing: Hello, I have been getting constant BSOD over the last 4 weeks since the update. So much so that I can no longer use my desktop. I've tried a variety of the troubleshooting. Here are 4 different dump files Number 1 Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 10.0.18362.1...
  8. Virtual Machine in Hyper-V has become sluggish

Virtual Machine in Hyper-V has become sluggish: After the recent upgrade of Windows10 to build 1803, Hyper-V has become very unresponsive. The Virtual machines(Debian9) has become very sluggish and takes hours to load. The graphics are extremely slow and each application loads too slow....
  9. Sluggish internet.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sluggish internet.: Some reason I cant upload a video I recorded to show my issue!!!!!!! I was on YouTube watching video, it would load, play, go back to loading, play, back loading, then play. Downloads are same way, it will download, stop, start back downloading. 97970
  10. Sluggish Mouse

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sluggish Mouse: I know that this has been a problem virtually since Windows 10 was released. I've been following the various threads on the subject and have attempted to implement most of the claimed fixes but, sadly, the problem of drag still exists. At times my system is close to unusable...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 performance horrible constant disk thrashing