Windows 10: Slui.exe doesn't display menu to change product key.

Discus and support Slui.exe doesn't display menu to change product key. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My Windows 10 Pro x86-64 machine all of a sudden had a deactivated key. I called MS Tech Support who got on my system remotely and gave me a new key.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by streetwolf, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Slui.exe doesn't display menu to change product key.

My Windows 10 Pro x86-64 machine all of a sudden had a deactivated key. I called MS Tech Support who got on my system remotely and gave me a new key. Originally I had a digital key when I upgraded from Windows 8.1.

In the course of Tech Support trying to change my key we found out that slui.exe doesn't produce any menu. On a VM test machine it does bring up the change key menu. Slui.exe 3 seems to bring up the same menu and also doesn't work on my production machine. However slui.exe 4 does work on my production machine. This brings up the Country and Region menu. I haven't tried any of number.

All the other ways to change the key don't work either. The one in Settings|Update & Security|Activation is just one example. I assume all it does is execute slui.exe.

I checked the permissions of slui.exe against the one on my VM test system. They were identical. Any idea on how to get slui working again? Perhaps it's a Registry entry problem. For such a minor problem reinstalling Windows is not an option.

Thanks.

:)

streetwolf, Sep 7, 2017

2. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard+cpu+ram change

Using the slui command only prompts me to change the product key.

Using slui.exe 4 doesn't actually work when i try to run it. It just doesn't do anything. Using slui.exe 3 prompts me to change the product key.

Is there any other way to open the installation ID screen?

RazvanPasescu, Sep 7, 2017
  3. windows is no longer activated

Hi,

to be honest, I'm not going to try putting a "Win 10 Home" licence key. I cannot believe this will solve an issue related to windows 10 Pro. I'm too concerned that it would make things worse. So I'll skip that solution

As for the second suggestion:

I ran "slui.exe 4", and it doesn't do anything, no programme is launched, no error or warning.

I tried "slui.exe" and I get a popup to enter a product key

I put my windows 8.1 key and it's not accepted:

The product key that you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. (0xc0020036)

Largo Winch, Sep 7, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Slui.exe doesn't display menu to change product key.

Brink, Sep 7, 2017
  5. slui 3 doesn't work either. It appears from my VM testing that slui and slui 3 produce the change key menu. Like I said slui 4 works.

None of the methods in the tutorial work.

streetwolf, Sep 7, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Odd. Any error messages? Especially from Option 5 with command prompt.

Brink, Sep 7, 2017
  7. I think the MS Tech Rep tried all of the methods in your tutorial including 5 with no success. She finally had to use the Phone Call method and perhaps something else. It would have been a lot easier if slui worked.

Does slui.exe need to be registered?

streetwolf, Sep 7, 2017
  8. Slui.exe doesn't display menu to change product key.

What happens, or doesn't happen with options 1 and 2?

alphanumeric, Sep 7, 2017
  9. Nothing happens with 1 or 2. I also tried slui /? hoping to get a help menu but nothing here either.

streetwolf, Sep 7, 2017
  10. Might want to run the system file checker. Best guess is a system file associated with activation has been mangled. Or you PC is infected/compromised. What were you doing when activation failed?

alphanumeric, Sep 7, 2017
  11. I did run sfc /scannow which found no errors. I don't think I ever had to run slui to change a key so I don't know when it stopped working. After I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 for free and got a digital license slui might have run transparently as part of the upgrade process at that time.

streetwolf, Sep 7, 2017
  12. Berton Win User
    Just a note, I tried slui.exe on my production machine with Version 1703 Build 15063.540 and it worked but had to be careful to close/cancel a blue panel that appeared over the panel desired.

Berton, Sep 7, 2017
  13. Superfly Win User

Superfly, Sep 8, 2017
  14. Version 1703 Build 15063.540 here and slui runs just fine for me. It opens Settings > Update & security > Activation and then opens the "Enter a product key" panel that you would get if you clicked "Chang product key" on that page. Nothing happens unless you enter a key in that box and click next. Even then, it has to be a valid key. And even then, you have to click one more yes before it does anything. You'd have to work at it to un activate your system. *Wink

alphanumeric, Sep 8, 2017
  15. Keep in mind that I'm not trying to activate a key. I'm just curious as to why only slui 4 works for me.

streetwolf, Sep 8, 2017
Thema:

1. Slui.exe doesn't display menu to change product key. - Similar Threads - Slui exe doesn't

2. SLUI 4 Doesn't work

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    SLUI 4 Doesn't work: Hello, I recently purchased a new desktop computer. The company I bought it from, if I'm not mistaken, installed a trial version of Windows 10 on my computer. Later, I purchased an OEM license key online. They asked me to follow the steps below:Activate the key. If you...
  3. SLUI 4 Doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SLUI 4 Doesn't work: Hello, I recently purchased a new desktop computer. The company I bought it from, if I'm not mistaken, installed a trial version of Windows 10 on my computer. Later, I purchased an OEM license key online. They asked me to follow the steps below:Activate the key. If you...
  4. SLUI 4 Doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Changing Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Product Key: I recently bought a digital key for Windows 10 , before that I was using a KMS IIRC. Now whenever I do slmgr /dlv to check if the key is changed I see it's still says "Partial Product Key : 6MT6Y" which I've looked up and someone said that it's just a generic key used for...
  6. Changing Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Changing Product Key: I recently bought a digital key for Windows 10 , before that I was using a KMS IIRC. Now whenever I do slmgr /dlv to check if the key is changed I see it's still says "Partial Product Key : 6MT6Y" which I've looked up and someone said that it's just a generic key used for...
  7. CHANGING PRODUCT KEY

in Windows 10 Customization
    CHANGING PRODUCT KEY: Hello, I have a almost stupid question... If I change my PC's product key, will I lose all of my personal information/apps? I'm currently using a product key that was given to my boyfriend for his university, but it constantly has me change my password and won't let me...
  8. Product Key doesn't work?

Product Key doesn't work?: I recently purchased Windows 10 Home but when I try to change product key, it says: "The product key you entered didn't work. Check the product key and try again, or enter a different one. 0xc004f050" The edition shown at the top of the activation screen says Windows...
  9. SLUI 4 doesn't work

SLUI 4 doesn't work: I recently built a new desktop and installed windows 10 from a USB using the msft media installation tool. I purhcased on OEM activation key for Windows 10 Pro from Kinguin. Who I bought it from looks to be a reliable seller based on customer feedback. It seems like everyone...
  10. change product key

change product key: i can't find the 25 digits to change the product key. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-product-key/c1055548-6369-42ba-9073-fa109cd71145"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. slui 4 doesnt open

2. slui.exe doesnt work

3. windows 10 change product key does nothing slui -