Windows 10: Small problem changing shortcuts in start menu

Discus and support Small problem changing shortcuts in start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Whenever I try to move, delete or rename a shortcut in \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or its subfolders, appears this window (but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by nabucco, Jan 1, 2016.

1. nabucco Win User

Small problem changing shortcuts in start menu

Whenever I try to move, delete or rename a shortcut in \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or its subfolders, appears this window (but the shortcut is moved, deleted or renamed without problems):

Small problem changing shortcuts in start menu [​IMG]

Really it is not a problem, but it seems that something is wrong...

:)

nabucco, Jan 1, 2016

2. How do I customize Pinned shortcuts?

I have various Shortcuts pinned on my "Start Menu". Some of them are shortcuts to folders, and others are shortcuts to websites that were pinned using Microsoft Edge.

The problem Im running into is that a lot of them have the same icon and label. So, unless I remember which order I put the Icon in, I don't know which Icon is which, especially when I need the icon "Small"

Question: How do I relabel a pin and change its icon?

VarxtisFoh, Jan 1, 2016
  3. ron2inrr Win User
    How to Add a .jnlp (java) App to Windows 10 Start Menu?

jhessica-

Yes, I have already contacted Merrill Lynch about this problem (unable to launch their MarketPro product from my desktop).

However, this still does not answer my original post -- which is essentially, how do I get a shortcut to appear in my Windows 10 Start Menu.

That is what is in the Start Menu, isn't it, essentiallty shortcuts. What is so special about the Start Menu that prevents or restricts what can be placed there.

I know, it is a small point, but the reason I want the MarketPro shortcut in my Start Menu is that often the shortcut on my desktop is often covered up by running Apps whereas icons in the Start Menu are always available without disturbing my desktop display.

ron in round rock

ron2inrr, Jan 1, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

In my experience, (and trust me, I've hacked these folders to death!), the AppData and ProgramData ones; don't move any shortcuts from the Windows System folders!
    You can move others but keep them in that directory then 'hide' the folder they came out of; for example: you want to show the .exe shortcut but not all the helpme or readme files.
    renaming most of them will probably corrupt the execution path.
    If you want to create a whole new folder for certain shortcuts, copy them, don't move them, and place the copies in the new folder, then hide the old folders.
    Leave the Windows System folders alone, though.

Edwin, Jan 1, 2016
  5. jds63 Win User
    Meaning he might be trying to rename, delete or move a Metro app or system app, reasons for this error.

jds63, Jan 1, 2016
  6. b1rd Win User
    Given what Edwin just said, do you think running the System File checker would be of any benefit?

Edit: Probably not, as I just re-read the original post.

b1rd, Jan 1, 2016
  7. Edwin New Member
    Exactly! I should have went into more detail.
    I had a tutorial on it but, a few things have changed over the last number of Builds.

Edwin, Jan 1, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

Thought so, thread starter error was not in english all i understood was operation i think. Screwed up on me with non metro apps though in the past third party apps i had installed.

jds63, Jan 1, 2016
  9. Edwin New Member
    These are the two folders you need to modify, and take caution doing so!
    DO NOT touch the stuff highlighted in purple!
    You can change icons all you want, you can cut installed exe's from their folders and hide the folder along with the junk, or delete it if it is empty...
    you can make new folders to put the cut/copied and pasted shortcuts into, but you need to create twin folders in both locations then place the shortcuts in their respective folders in their respective locations.

Edwin, Jan 1, 2016
  10. jds63 Win User
    Assume that is a third party app you are using or just your theme ? All i ever did so far was wanting to rename a non metro or system app, but has worked o.k. lately for me.

jds63, Jan 1, 2016
  11. Edwin New Member
    Custom theme, folders and icons.
    Yeah, I've done some different tweaks as well including some renaming...
    there's a whack of variables though, you just gotta experiment with it! *Wink

Edwin, Jan 1, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    O.k., but i saw resource hacker, so felt that handles it. So far i am o.k. with way Windows 10 looks as long as everything is working good and it is for me since July except for some minor bugs everyone gets.

jds63, Jan 1, 2016
  13. Edwin New Member

Oops! You weren't supposed to see that!!! *Wink
    I just do it cuz it can be done! *Smile
    I just need to find the .dll for the manila folders on the All apps Menu:

Edwin, Jan 1, 2016
  14. jds63 Win User
    Observant *092 ! One issue i had was with Desktop icons only for PC games would at times shrink smaller and were not small resolution icons either, i remedied it by changing it's default icon to another .ico i found online for the game and it only happened to some game icons.

jds63, Jan 1, 2016
  15. nabucco Win User
    Good advice the Edwin's first post, but too late for me as I have already changed everything in AppData and ProgramData folders (except metroapps, administrative tools and 3 or 4 that cannot move). The reason was to order the StartMenu to my taste without the A-B-C... horrible things (see picture).

The problem occurs with all programs. For example, today I downloaded 7-zip and the error message appeared when I moved the shortcut from ProgramData to AppData.

Well, at the moment seems is not an important problem, so I'll wait.

Thank you all for the help and comments, very interesting and instructive.

nabucco, Jan 1, 2016
Thema:

1. Small problem changing shortcuts in start menu - Similar Threads - Small problem changing

2. Document Shortcuts on Start Menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Document Shortcuts on Start Menu: I upgraded from 1909 to 20H2. It appears that document shortcuts on startmenu is not longer supported. The shortcuts are still in the StartMenu/Programs folder and function if clicked on directly, but they no longer appear in the start menu and cannot be pinned. I was able...
  3. Start Menu Super Small

Start Menu Super Small: Hello there. My name is Griffin Mackinnon and I use a Windows 10 Device. I have accidentally pressed a key on my keyboard that made my start menu very small. Someone, please help....
  4. Small App Menu on Start Menu

Small App Menu on Start Menu: [ATTACH] I have this really small app list on the Start menu, can't adjust it through settings, through a PowerShell command, really struggling - any ideas???...
  5. Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Removing Start Menu shortcuts: Is there a way to remove Built-In application shortcuts from the Start Menu? I don't mean uninstall the application, but just remove its shortcut; shortcuts (examples in red) as seen in the attached picture. 149158
  6. Change Start Menu Shortcut

Change Start Menu Shortcut: I recently reinstalled a program and the shortcut in the start menu points to a incorrect location, so the program won't start. How do I change the shortcut to point to the correct location?...
  7. Changing start menu icons to small by default

Changing start menu icons to small by default: Changing the icon size of a start menu icon is easy. But how can you make the start menu icons small by default so that you do not need to change the size every single time? [img] 66749
  8. [Windows 10 1511] Problem with Menu Start shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    [Windows 10 1511] Problem with Menu Start shortcuts: Dear Friends First of all, hello to everybody! *Smile It's my first post here at this great TenForums. I have got a problem with proper sorting of my shortcuts in Menu Start. English is not my first language, so please forgive me my poor English. I will describe my...
  9. Start Menu. Possibly a self inflicted problem. It is to small.

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu. Possibly a self inflicted problem. It is to small.: This issue is occurring on my old Acer laptop on which I clean installed the AU. The start menu was originally OK size wise, but then I went and deleted a bunch of the included tiles (netflix, food, all those) from the right hand side of the menu. The problem now is that I...
  10. Small start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Small start menu: Hello, something happened after Windows Update - I turned on my PC and I see... [img] [img] Anybody can help me? Thanks. 3324