Windows 10: Small SSD for large SSD for win10

Discus and support Small SSD for large SSD for win10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So im selling one of my smaller ssd's 240GB and picking up a 1TB. Which drive would be better to install windows on? Not worried about drive speeds or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by l3izz, Apr 14, 2017.

1. l3izz Win User

Small SSD for large SSD for win10

So im selling one of my smaller ssd's 240GB and picking up a 1TB. Which drive would be better to install windows on? Not worried about drive speeds or anything like that. ive been told to keep it on a smaller SSD over a larger 1TB ssd.

:)

l3izz, Apr 14, 2017
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Transfering storage

Posting a screen capture will speed the process up.

There are a few possibilities:

- hybrid HD with small built in SSD

- dual drive small SSD (128GB) + large HD (1TB)

- single drive with a small C: drive partition plus a large unallocated space.

Gussing is a wasted effort.

Rohn007, Apr 14, 2017
  3. W3W
    w3w Win User
    How to move Users folder and all data to the second drive?

I had moved my User\Public folder to an HDD because it was too large for the SSD I have Win10 installed on. When I tried to install the Win10 Anniversary Update it would fail at about 80% and then rollback. Looked in the Event Viewer and found and error
    code that said the download was bad. I tried again and got the same failure. With some more searching I found a user who had moved some User folders to another drive who found that moving it back allowed the Anniversary Update to complete. I moved the User\Public
    folder back to the system drive and low and behold the update ran. MS needs to allow these large data folders to be on other drives. With the advent of SSD's for system drives we need to move data off the system drive due to SSD's small sizes. MS needs to
    address this!

4. NavyLCDR New Member

I don't think it would matter, but if you use the 1TB SSD I would create a separate partition to hold data that you would not want to lose if you had to reinstall Windows.

NavyLCDR, Apr 14, 2017
  5. l3izz Win User
    Data is all backed up I thought about the way the nad cells work over time those cells will wear out but i think im thinking to much into it.

l3izz, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Small SSD for large SSD for win10 - Similar Threads - Small SSD large

2. Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD: Hi all,I need to replace my current C drive SSD too small with a larger SSD. Windows updates are resource pigs and I'm almost out of space. I've read several articles and it seems it either takes two or three simple steps using the free Macrium Clone function or the Windows...
  3. SSD large written question

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD large written question: Looking for explanation if possible. Relatively new computer Febuary 2020 , 256Evo Pro ssd as OS only , 1TB Evo as programs and storage ,with a 4TB USB drive for backups and storage. Evo pro with 47GB of used yet samsung magician software shows 2 Tb written in such a short...
  4. Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk: Okay - bit of a 'noob' question here, hope folks can help. My desktop machine (5 y.o.) is getting an upgrade. I would like to follow the suggestions that have been made of fitting a SSD for boot, Win 10 and program installation and using my large 5TB 3.5-inch hard disk...
  5. Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk

Like to install small SSD alongside large SATA 3.5" Hard Disk: Okay - bit of a 'noob' question here, hope folks can help. My desktop machine (5 y.o.) is getting an upgrade. I would like to follow the suggestions that have been made of fitting a SSD for boot, Win 10 and program installation and using my large 5TB 3.5-inch hard disk...
  6. How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD

How to use new PC with a small SSD and a large HDD: My new Windows 10 v. Home 1909 desktop has a 128 GB SSD (C drive) and a 1TB internal HDD (D drive). If I understand correctly the OS pc boots in the SSD and all current Programs and Programs (x86) files are in the C drive. The C drive is already more than half full and I have...
  7. Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD

Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD: I have purchased a larger SSD to replace the existing one that I am using for my OS. I have downloaded a couple of different kinds of software to handle this but I have some issues. For one which is called "Minitool Partition Wizard Free 11.6" there is an option to Migrate...
  8. Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Small SSD (C:) and large HDD (D:): I just got a new PC with the following setup: Drive C: is a 128 GB SSD and Drive D: is a 2 TB HDD. Even though I have not installed any programs (like MS Office Pro), C: only has 61.7 FB free of 117 GB. I'm totally scared of what will happen if I start installing...
  9. Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a large capacity hard disk to a small SSD: Hi looking for some advice, I have a laptop and the HD is painfully slow so I have decided to swap the hard drive for an SSD. Now the existing hard drive is a 1TB drive but for what I need the laptop for I have opted for a much smaller SSD drive (I have plenty of Network...
  10. Disk management with small windows ssd drive and large hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk management with small windows ssd drive and large hdd: Hi community, I recently reinstalled Windows on my 23Gb SSD. I want to use the 500gb Hdd for everything else. However, some files and programs have to be on that small 23Gb SSD (e.g. Office) and I am running out of storage after only the first day of my new Windows. How...