Windows 10: Small taskbar icons and Cortana search

Discus and support Small taskbar icons and Cortana search in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hey guys *Smile Have a question! When using “small taskbar icons” is their a way to show the cortana search bar? Thanks, greatly appreciated!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by stevie, Mar 3, 2018.

1. stevie Win User

Small taskbar icons and Cortana search

Hey guys *Smile

Have a question!

When using “small taskbar icons” is their a way to show the cortana search bar?

Thanks, greatly appreciated!

:)

stevie, Mar 3, 2018

2. Cannot restore disabled Cortana

Hi Muhammed,

If Cortana search box is missing on your computer, it might be because it's hidden. In Windows 10, you have the option to hide the search box, display it as a button or as a search box. To change this setting, right-click on the taskbar, select
    Cortana, then choose Show search box.

You may also want to check if you're using small taskbar icons. If you use small taskbar icons, Cortana search box won't be functional. To check, right-click on the taskbar, and choose
    Properties. In the Taskbar and Start Menu Properties window, make sure that
    Use small taskbar buttons isn't checked. Click the OK
    button to save changes.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Aileen Alf, Mar 3, 2018
  3. bru20 Win User
    How can I turn on the search icon?

I realize you resolved this a while ago but for anyone else who like me ran in to this issue the solution is simple.

You can not have both the Cortana and Search icon on the taskbar. If the Cortana icon is present just hiding by right clicking the taskbar and selecting Hidden for Cortana will only hide the icon not turn off Cortana. In All Settings go to Cortana & Search
    Settings and follow the prompts to turn off Cortana. When Cortana is turned off the circle icon will disappear and the magnifying glass (search) icon should appear in its place. Now when you right click the taskbar you will see Search with the option to
    show or hide the icon.

Also, if you want the search box rather than the icon you need to uncheck "use small taskbar buttons". HTH

bru20, Mar 3, 2018
  4. Edwin New Member

Hmmm..., good question; I wouldn't have a clue though,
    but, the option disappears when you use small icons!

Small taskbar icons and Cortana search [​IMG]

Small taskbar icons and Cortana search [​IMG]

Edwin, Mar 3, 2018
  5. stevie Win User
    Thanks for the reply but ya it’s not available when using small icons. I’m sure theirs a registry hack but can’t figure it out

stevie, Mar 3, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    Genuine question: I'm wondering why you want the search box permanently displayed?

It doesn't actually have any advantage I can see, you're not saving on mouse clicks or making it quicker to use. You have to click in the Search box to switch focus to it before you type into it, but a click on the Cortana icon opens the Search box just above the taskbar and set the focus on it. I can't see any practical difference in use.

Bree, Mar 3, 2018
  7. stevie Win User
    I guess it’s just a preference. I don’t like just the icon and i got used to having the search Cortana box. I’m sure theirs a way, plus with small icons the search box would actually look good and not cluttered.. thanks for the reply hopefully we can find a way *Smile

stevie, Mar 3, 2018
  8. Edwin New Member

Might be an overlay too and nothing to do with the Taskbar;
    if you unlock the taskbar and move it to the side or top you lose the search box also.

Edwin, Mar 3, 2018
  9. stevie Win User
    What do you suggest? I thought maybe it was disabled by default with small icons and can easily be enabled. Thanks for the reply

stevie, Mar 3, 2018
  10. davidhk Win User
    Brink has a tutorial in which it mentions the followings ..........................
    The search box will only display on the main display.
    The taskbar must be on the bottom of the main display to have the Show search box item in the context menu. If you move the taskbar to the top or sides of the main display, then the Show search box item in the context menu will no longer be available.
    If you set to use small taskbar buttons, then the Show search box item in the context menu will no longer be available.
    If the main display[/b] is set below 1024 x 768, then the Show search box item in the context menu will no longer be available.

davidhk, Mar 3, 2018
  11. Edwin New Member
    What do I suggest?

I suggest you hit the WinKey and start typing..., forget the icon and search box altogether! *Wink

Edwin, Mar 3, 2018
  12. stevie Win User
    Ok so then theirs no way lol

stevie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Small taskbar icons and Cortana search - Similar Threads - Small taskbar icons

2. Search bar on small taskbar

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar on small taskbar: [ATTACH] Is this new? I don't remember Windows 10 supports showing the search box if small taskbar icons is enabled. https://preview.redd.it/st95bo4ulu4a1.png?width=416&format=png&auto=webp&s=8ec4815f928e201b60ae0cc036b55274bbf916c2 OS Build: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC...
  3. Cortana Search Icons not Working

in Cortana
    Cortana Search Icons not Working: Hello, since I installed the new Google Drive App, my Cortana Search Icons are not showing anymore. Is there a way to fix this without deleting Google Drive....
  4. Taskbar icons too small

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar icons too small: Hi !! I recently had to change my laptop size to 100% because the software I'm using for work can't support my screen scaling, I have the 1920 x 1080 resolution because it's the clearest, but the issue here is my taskbar apps are tiny. I want to know if there's a solution to...
  5. Changed all Taskbar icons to small, now the search box is gone

in Cortana
    Changed all Taskbar icons to small, now the search box is gone: My computer is a, Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro. I had so many, icons on my taskbar. I couldn't, see them all together. So I went to, taskbar settings. And, changed them to small icons. Now, the icons fit just fine. But, one thing I don't like. The search bar,...
  6. very small icons and very small text in taskbar,

very small icons and very small text in taskbar,: Hi ,my name is Colin i have just bought a new Dell inspiron 15 model 3585,The problem i have is tiny text and icons on task bar,and when i right click on anything that text is also so very small,i might add that in settings the text size is normal size, ease of access is of...
  7. Taskbar/Cortana search window...

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar/Cortana search window...: With the 1809 update, the taskbar search window changed: [img] The width of the initial search window is doubled in size. Is there a way to reduce the width to what it used to be in 1803? Or at the very least, is there a way to change the background color for this window?...
  8. Taskbar buttons (NOT icons) hidden behind cortana search

Taskbar buttons (NOT icons) hidden behind cortana search: Hoping this is the right board. A guy in my office just upgraded to windows 10 and it looks completely different from other installations I've seen. The start button isn't the 4 equally-sized rectangles, the top left one is hollow and bigger than the other 3, if that means...
  9. search icon on taskbar

in Windows 10 Support
    search icon on taskbar: I have both desktop and laptop set up on 10. The desktop has "Search the web and Windows" on the task bar. It's not on the laptop. How do I get it. Thanks. 24297
  10. Cortana Taskbar Search Not Working

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana Taskbar Search Not Working: Cortana taskbar search shows up but when you click on it, you cannot enter text. Also even though you can see the Cortana control panel listing when searching in Settings when you click on it it does not open. I checked and the Cortana files are in the System Apps folder. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana cicle icon taskbar

2. how to have cortana search bar and small icons

3. white icon in cortana serach

4. cortana bar small taskbar buttons