Windows 10: Smart TV with USB - what format do HDD's need to be

Discus and support Smart TV with USB - what format do HDD's need to be in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there Query on playing media on a smart TV directly by using the USB connection. Most Smart TV's I believe have some variant of Linux -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jimbo45, Sep 21, 2016.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Smart TV with USB - what format do HDD's need to be

Hi there

Query on playing media on a smart TV directly by using the USB connection.

Most Smart TV's I believe have some variant of Linux - probably Android based - built in OS. A lot of the new ones have provisions for playing media directly via the USB connector(s).

Anybody know if the OS on the TV is intelligent enough to detect the file system or will it only recognize specific file systems.

I'm going over to a colleagues place to play some video -- but rather than set up a remote connection it's a lot easier to take a small portable USB device - however it's formatted EXT4 (a Linux file system). Will the TV recognize it or will it expect a Windows type HDD (NTFS etc).

I don't have a smart TV available to test this on so I'd be glad if anybody who has got one could answer this question. The relevant TV will be one of the newer Samsung series.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 21, 2016
  2. Mic0609 Win User

G:\ is not accessible

I've restarted my PC for a few times and also tried another USB port, but it still doesn't work. But, my external HDD is readable on another PC, laptop, and smart TV

Mic0609, Sep 21, 2016
  3. I can't find a TV with BUILT-IN Bluetooth. Is Bluetooth always require an adapter or "dongle" to work

Thank you Matthew. I think you may have gotten the impression that I was involving my Samsung Galaxy Smart Phone but my focus was on the flexibility of the Samsung Smart TV. Actually I'm thinking in terms of pairing headphones, maybe a mouse and keyboard
    and, of course the Smart Phone. (you can plug a mouse and keyboard in the USB Ports on the Samsung Smart TVs). It looks like Samsung and other TV Producers are not yet building in what is needed for Bluetooth connectivity. Am I missing something here.............after
    all I am (relatively) a novice at this Bluetooth stuff.

JoelGlobal, Sep 21, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

On all smart or not too smart TVs I tried USB drive they would read Fat32 and most read exFat systems. Writing to them may be another story. Just beware, some like my friends 51" Philips formatted one USB stick to some crazy system without warning and took quite a fight to partition and format it again.

CountMike, Sep 21, 2016
  5. Bree New Member
    My experience mirrors CountMike's. Fat32 is the lowest common denominator, recognised by all SmartTVs and PVRs I've tried it in. Be aware of Fat32's 4GB file size limit though.

PS: you may also want to take some alternative video formats in case your original one isn't in a format the TV supports - mp4 seems to be accepted by most TVs.

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Smart TV with USB - what format do HDD's need to be - Similar Threads - Smart USB format

2. Smart TV

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Smart TV: The teacher is using a laptop and SMART TV. She can see her screen on the TV and the icons she requires in the taskbar but when she clicks on them they do not open on the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smart-tv/022df5a5-d0f2-4995-8398-f4542a313951
  3. Smart TV

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Smart TV: The teacher is using a laptop and SMART TV. She can see her screen on the TV and the icons she requires in the taskbar but when she clicks on them they do not open on the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/smart-tv/022df5a5-d0f2-4995-8398-f4542a313951
  4. Smart TV

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. smart tv

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    smart tv: Hi I am a bit worried! I saw this by accident when looking around. I live in a 1 up 1 down flat. Because downstairs did not use the internet much and did not have internet, I let him use mine when he needed to. Which I didnt mind, hes over 50 and not a gamer etc on...
  6. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  7. External HDD needs format

in Windows 10 Support
    External HDD needs format: Hello to all. Havent been here for a long time between the windows system has improved a lot over the past tear. To my latest problem i was given an external hdd but it has two sections as per image how do i get this to a full working drive please. Many thanks [img] 146402
  8. ADD SMART TV WHAT IS NEEDED

ADD SMART TV WHAT IS NEEDED: ADD SMART TV https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/add-smart-tv-what-is-needed/d3898e89-4930-4e9a-83d7-14b3eb2e6386
  9. Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Formatting USB stick/usb hdd issues: [img] help how do i fix this problem. it's been a real problem for the past 3 weeks. 112838
  10. Editing recordings from samsung Smart TV (SRF format)

Editing recordings from samsung Smart TV (SRF format): Hello! Excuse me if this is not the right place to ask, but I bet on your experience, and have nothing to lose. So here it goes: I have a Samsung LED 50" Smart TV model UE50H6200 (the full P/N printed on the sticker is UE50H6200AWXXH) which is very nice, but also very...