Windows 10: SMB to shares on USB storage does not work

Discus and support SMB to shares on USB storage does not work in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have several usb-connected drives and several SATA drives on a Win7Pro-64 system just upgraded to Win10. The only account on the machine is a local... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by caseym54, Nov 29, 2015.

1. caseym54 Win User

SMB to shares on USB storage does not work

I have several usb-connected drives and several SATA drives on a Win7Pro-64 system just upgraded to Win10. The only account on the machine is a local administrator account. On each drive I have a shared folder.

Where before I could connect via SMB/Samba from non-Windows networked devices using the local account credentials, I can now only access the shares on SATA drives. Any share on a USB drive is inaccessible to, say, ES File Explorer or Astro on a Android Tablet (although the share name can be read).

I can still access all shares from another Windows 10 machine. All devices have the proper Workgroup.

Clearly there is some SMB policy change in Windows 10. I've seen one fix for network drives but it doesn't seem to apply here (and also doesn;t work). Also not working is anonymous login to shares with with Everyone access, which also used to work.

:)

caseym54, Nov 29, 2015

2. accessing network shares by 2 simultaneously logged on users

this also only seems to be specific to particular smb versions. the shares listed as SMB 1.5 seem to work properly under the scenario in my original post. SMB 2.1 shares are the ones that have this issue. I used get-smbconnection from windows powershell
    to determine smb version used to connect to the mapped drives. I do not know if smb version 2.0 or any other smb version also exhibit this issue. but I know for sure version 2.1 does.

MichaeljTaylor, Nov 29, 2015
  3. SMBv1 protocol

I have seen articles stating that the SMBv1 protocol is outdated and less secure than the new versions.

Two Windows 10 Home PC's in a Homegroup sharing USB storage and USB printing on a WI-FI Router.

If I "uncheck" SVB in Settings Features, then no Homegroup or USB sharing is present - POOF, all gone.

But, if I replace the check mark, All functions return.

I have heard the new SMB version are only in Windows 10 PRO.

Do you have a work around for Windows 10 HOME?

MikeTriantafelo, Nov 29, 2015
  4. caseym54 Win User

There appears to be a bug (or new secutiry feature) that prevents non-windows clients from reading an SMB/Samba share if the share is connected to a Win10 machine via USB.

I have 4 external drives connected by USB (both 2 & 3). No share on any drive can be seen by an Android or Linux based device. However, one of those drives can also be connected by eSata. Connecting it by eSata (and changing nothing else) allows access.

Solved in the sense I understand it, not in the sense I can enable the sharing under USB.

caseym54, Dec 10, 2015
Thema:

1. SMB to shares on USB storage does not work - Similar Threads - SMB shares USB

2. No Share tab for SMB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No Share tab for SMB drive: Hello guys,This is my first time here, and the subject I am asking is quite new so please bear with me.What I am basically want to do is for my Xiaomi CCTV camera to transfer the captured video to my external SSD which I have hooked up to the back of my router.This is the one...
  3. No Share tab for SMB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No Share tab for SMB drive: Hello guys,This is my first time here, and the subject I am asking is quite new so please bear with me.What I am basically want to do is for my Xiaomi CCTV camera to transfer the captured video to my external SSD which I have hooked up to the back of my router.This is the one...
  4. SMB shares accessible via IP but not by hostname works at reboot but shortly after it does not

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SMB shares accessible via IP but not by hostname works at reboot but shortly after it does not: I'm assuming one of the recent updates broke this but for some reason... SMB shares are only accessible via internal network IP...eg... \\192.168.1.50\<share name> when it should be... \\<server hostname>\<share name> I do not have this issue outside of this...
  5. Local network / smb shares and notifications

Local network / smb shares and notifications: Why is the issue with local share security warnings still a problem? I shouldnot have to click OK in this box every time I touch a file in thesame shared directory. Why, ten years later, is there stillno simple, straightforward way to turn this notification off? without...
  6. SMB share credentials

SMB share credentials: Hi, I have a synology unit that is added to the microsoft AD as are all the PCs that access that unit. all the users are members of an AD group that has read/write permissions on a particular folder. When a user tries to access that folder, they get a message "windows...
  7. Unable to access SMB file sharing

Unable to access SMB file sharing: Hi, While I'm administrator on 2 computers PC1 and PC2, both are joined to a Windows domain: From PC1, I cannot see shared folders on PC2. Once, I log on PC1 as a normal user, I can properly see the shared folder. Please advise Thanks...
  8. Entering a SMB share

Entering a SMB share: Hi everyone, in W10 i shared a folder and i want to enter them using "ES File Explorer" in Android. From that app i'm requested for user e psw. SMB protocol are active: Windows PowerShell Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>...
  9. OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work

OpenVPN is public network and access to SMB share doesn't work: Hello, i still didn't found solution for this. I have some Linux servers with latest versions of OpenVPN and some OpenVPN clients. OpenVPN works just fine, access from Linux or Windows 7 clients too. There is no problem. I am very sure Samba, firewall and OpenVPN server are...
  10. SMB to external storage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SMB to external storage: Does anyone know how to access shares on USB-connected drives via SMB/Samba from another network device? I can see them from another Windows PC, but not from anything else. Used to work under W7. 32241