Windows 10: SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

Discus and support SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey All, After the recent Wanncry attacks I disabled SMB1 protocol as per the cautionary suggestions from Msft et al. Now I can no longer access my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Major Bystander, May 21, 2017.

1. SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

Hey All,

After the recent Wanncry attacks I disabled SMB1 protocol as per the cautionary suggestions from Msft et al. Now I can no longer access my network shares via File Explorer. I am still able to access the network device using IP address via browser. However, the unifying and familiar Explorer remains stubbornly broken. When I turn SMB1 back on everything works ok. Any ideas how to fix File Explorer access while remaining somewhat protected. Mucho thanks in advance.

M.B.

:)

Major Bystander, May 21, 2017

2. SMB1 disabled; No longer have access to mapped network shares via File Explorer

As per Microsoft suggestion I disabled the SMB1 protocol to stave off Wcry type attacks. At the same time I made sure SMB2 protocol was enabled. Now, i can no longer access mapped network shares using File Explorer. To verify the situation I turned SMB1
    back on and was again able to use File Explorer successfully. The network drive is operating properly; I checked using the browser admin features over IP. At present SMB1 is still off and SMB2 is on.

What must I do short of re-enabling SMB1 to allow File Explorer to access the network drive?

M.B.

Config; Windows 10 Pro - latest, Synology DSM - latest

Major Bystander, May 21, 2017
  3. Mar00ned Win User
    Windows 10 and 16 do NOT prompt on network share.

I've spent weeks reading various solutions which work to no avail. Mine seems to be a tad unique so I'm trying to understand what's going on and how to fix it.

In short...

I am testing access to a network share that's running on an EMC Centera. I don't think that's relevant but wanted to make sure it was known.

I have a Windows 7, Windows 10, Windows 12 and Windows 16. The Windows 7 & 12 can access the shares using Start>Run> \\hostname\path. I get prompted for user credentials no problem and can properly access the share. On Windows 10 & 16 if I go the same
    route, I get The specified network name is no longer available. I'm not prompted for credentials.

Another interesting part is if I open cmd in Windows 10 & 16 and execute net use \\hostname\path I'm prompted for credentials and have access. And if I Map Network Drive and enter \\hostname\path I get prompted for credentials and have access. If I then
    execute net use * /delete to remove all paths, and try to access the shares via Start> Run or Windows Explorer I receive the original error message and am no longer prompted for credentials.

I can even net use to \\hostname\IPC$ and provide credentials, then I have access to all shares, which makes sense because the current/active credentials are stored.

I've run Wireshark to compare the successful/unsuccessful and one thing I've noticed is that Windows 7 & 12 negotiate SMB2, Sessions Setup is NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE. It eventually errors out while trying to use the current user account but what's even more interesting
    is it re-attempts the session 9 times, then it has an SMB2 Tree Disconnect Request & Session Logoff Request, then it prompts for user credentials. I then run the same test on Windows 10 & 16 (the failing ones) and they negotiate SMB2, Sessions Setup is NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE,
    it also eventually errors out BUT the host sends SMB2 Negotiate Protocol Requests many more times but never gets an SMB2 Negotiate Protocol Response. This eventually errors out thus providing the "The specified network name is no longer available".

Things I have done/tested:

Disabled IPv6

Reinstalled Client for Microsoft Networks

Turned Off Network Discovery

Turned On Network Discovery

Checked Computer Management Local Policies > Security and compared/matched to the Windows 7/12 machines.

Disabled SMB1

Enabled SMB1

Disabled SMB2/3

Enabled SMB2/3

Checked for Cached Credentials in Users>Manage Credentials - it's always empty

I apologize for the length but I wanted to be thorough. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mar00ned, May 21, 2017
  4. Ru33 Win User

SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

If you're system is up to date, there's no need to be concerned about Wannacry - as such there's no problem using SMB1 (despite all the comments about SMB1)

I had the same problem - no shares visible on File Explorer - researched the issues related to disabling SMB1 - and quite frankly, it's only SMB1 on XP machines that will be (would have been before MS released a patch for XP) susceptible to a Wannacry attach. I suggest you reinstate SMB1 and enjoy accessing your network shares as before

R

5. I've heard the same from several sources and have reverted to smb1. Even so, I wonder why smb2/smb3 isn't enough to provide access to the networked resources. Thanks for the reply.

m.b.

Major Bystander, May 31, 2017
  6. clam1952 Win User
    Been through this and enabled SMB1 again.
    Why it doesn't work? My findings were in this thread WannaCry - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums
    When you disable SMB1 it uninstalls stuff needed by Workstation service, as said the exploit was patched back in March.

clam1952, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares

1. SMB1 disabled, SMB2 enabled; Can no longer access network shares - Similar Threads - SMB1 disabled SMB2

2. smb1 disabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  3. smb1 disabled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    smb1 disabled?: My NAS uses SMB1. The last time I restarted, Windows no longer allows connections to my NAS because they have decided that SMB1 is not safe enough for use in my local network. Is there a way around this?...
  4. The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Mapped Network Drive could not be Created because:..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2?: :..obsolete SMB1 Protocol.. Needs SMB2? What do I need to do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-mapped-network-drive-could-not-be-created/a73634ee-8c44-4111-857c-b06038aadf17
  5. Can no longer access a network share used to work fine.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can no longer access a network share used to work fine.: Hello.Trying to access another computer files share, with\\192.168.x.xasks me for credentials, which I provided, but then says,"\\192.168.x.x is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource...."Yet it was working fine yesterday and years before...
  6. Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled

Enabling network sharing with smbv1 disabled and smbv2 enabled: We all know about how people at microsoft make smbv1 mandatory to share folder across a local network, which exposes us to ransomwares. people at Microsoft have no concerns for security, despite being in IT business for the last 30 years.... in windows 10 , like 1809, the...
  7. Smb1 to smb2

Smb1 to smb2: My computers can't see my network drive so I need to upgrade from smb1 to smb2 so does anyone know how to do this? 149566
  8. aktivate SMB1 and disable SMB2 bei Win10

aktivate SMB1 and disable SMB2 bei Win10: Hallo Community, aktivate SMB1 and disable SMB2 bei Win10 ? ( Ich will mit Win10 auf einem Windows NT Prof. SP3 Druckerserver im Intranet mit SMB1 drucken: entweder muß ich bei Win10 SMB1 aktivate oder bei Win NT SMB2 aktivate ) Antwort:...
  9. Status of support for SMB1 and SMB2

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Status of support for SMB1 and SMB2: I have an external hard file connected to a WiFi network. When i try and access the file I now get a message from MS that SMB1 is no longer supported due to security problems. Use SMB2 instead. Where in MS land can I find more info?...
  10. Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows How to Enable or Disable SMB1 File Sharing Protocol in Windows The Server Message Block (SMB) Protocol is a network file sharing protocol, and as implemented in Microsoft Windows is known as Microsoft SMB...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. airport extreme disk windows 10 smb1 smb2 error

2. smb2 enabled but still not allowed to access

3. cannot access usb drive on airport extreme obsolete smb1

4. smb1 enabled still cant access drive,
  5. make other network computers visible without SMB1 File Sharing Protocol,
  6. smb2 disabled on windows 10 but still being used,
  7. smb1 disabled - no workgroup available,
  8. smb1 cant access acces drives after enabling,
  9. smb1 is enabled still can not access shares wannacry,
  10. airport extreme SMB1,
  11. airport extreme usb drive on windows smb2 smb1,