Windows 10: SMB2 error to access my router’s USB file server

Discus and support SMB2 error to access my router’s USB file server in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am getting the message that I need to use SMB1 to access my router’s USB file server. I am running SMB2. Can I safely downgrade and how do I do it?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Krane, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Krane Win User

SMB2 error to access my router’s USB file server

I am getting the message that I need to use SMB1 to access my router’s USB file server. I am running SMB2. Can I safely downgrade and how do I do it?

:)

Krane, Aug 20, 2019
  2. dch53 Win User

Unable to access server via remote desktop after router change

Hi,

I manage my home theatre and music servers via remote desktop. Both have wired connections to the router.

All has been well for many years.

Recently our old modem/router was replaced with a new one. There have been no other changes.

While I can still remote into the home theatre server I am no longer able to remote into the music server:

Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer....

What I can do is:

• ping the music server
    • bring up shares on the music server on another computer
    • access the music server using TeamViewer
    Does anyone have any suggestions how I can use remote desktop to manage my music server again please?

dch53, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Can't access network drive plugged into the router USB port.

Hi Lionel,

It seems that your USB drive is not mapped on your other laptop that's why it can't see it. For me to properly assist you with this concern, please provide me the following information:

• Is this the first time you're trying to access the USB drive from the second laptop?
    • Have you tried adding or mapping the USB drive as a network drive?
    • Do you know the IP address of your router?

If the USB drive is already shared, then you can start mapping it on the second laptop. Please check out the link Map a network
    drive
    and follow the steps for Windows 10.

In case the above steps won't work, then you may have to access the USB drive using the router's IP address. If you don't know the router's IP, then you can check it from the
    Command Prompt. Just type in cmd in the Cortana search, then press Enter. Once the command prompt window opens, type in
    ipconfig, and press Enter. Whatever Default Gateway appears on the result is your
    router's IP address.

SMB2 error to access my router’s USB file server 2adff3da-ebdb-4f0d-adc3-4a4dda5e9154?upload=true.png

To access the USB drive using the router's IP, follow these steps:

1. Open the File Explorer.
    2. Click the Network Folder, then clear the path in File Explorer, and replace it with
      \\192.168.2.1 (or whatever router IP you have), then press
      Enter.

SMB2 error to access my router’s USB file server 689e83b8-12c2-4ed2-a7f0-f834044f8cdf?upload=true.png

3. The USB drive should now show as a shared folder. At this point, you can either
    pin the shared folder to Start, create a shortcut to the desktop, or
    map it as a network drive. You may follow the same steps from the link I provided above.

Please let me know how it goes so I can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 28, 2019
  4. Ross211 Win User

Remote access to my (local) server's folders

But what if he tries to access this mapped drive when he is not on the same subnet of his server ?

Ross211, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

1. SMB2 error to access my router’s USB file server - Similar Threads - SMB2 error access

2. No access to a router acting as a file server from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No access to a router acting as a file server from Windows 11: I am using a laptop with Windows 11 Pro Edition version 21 H2 and trying to access a router, that is in the same network, using Explorer I receive the following error: "Impossible to access \\ROUTER_NAME. The user could not get the authorisation required to use the network...
  3. No access to a router acting as a file server from Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No access to a router acting as a file server from Windows 11: I am using a laptop with Windows 11 Pro Edition version 21 H2 and trying to access a router, that is in the same network, using Explorer I receive the following error: "Impossible to access \\ROUTER_NAME. The user could not get the authorisation required to use the network...
  4. NAS Samba SMB2 not accessible on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NAS Samba SMB2 not accessible on Windows 10: Hello, for some time now I have not been able to access the files on my NAS from my Windows 10 PC. This is a D-Link DNS-325 Sharecenter type NAS on which I use the opensource Alt-F firmware, SMB2 compatible. Windows version: Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 1909 18363.1256 When...
  5. Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router

Cannot Access USB Storage on ASUS Router: I have a router, serving as an access point. It is an ASUS RT-AC87U. Connected to it via USB 3.0 is a 5TB portable drive. My initial setup with this allowing anonymous logins worked just fine. I've so far disabled Anonymous Logins for both FTP and Media Share. The FTP side of...
  6. Access USB Plugged into Router

Access USB Plugged into Router: Hey Guys I am trying to access my router using file explorer [ATTACH] I then used the default gateway address and tried pasting it into file explorer as shown [ATTACH] But then receive the following error [ATTACH]...
  7. Smb1 to smb2

Smb1 to smb2: My computers can't see my network drive so I need to upgrade from smb1 to smb2 so does anyone know how to do this? 149566
  8. Connecting USB to Router to share file's

Connecting USB to Router to share file's: I would like to occasionally share file's like TV shows on my home network . I don't need a Nas as I do this very infrequently. My router does NOT have a USB port. Is it possible to connect a USB to my router using a USB to Ethernet adapter and then see those files on my...
  9. Router Server setting - USB options

Router Server setting - USB options: My router has USB ports and I can set it up as a file sharing server in settings. The decision tree that came up was whether to use the DLNA Media Server option, or the Samba Server option in the USB settings on the Router. I chose the Samba Server option because I could...
  10. usb on router

usb on router: hi need help - up to last version of windows 10 (14905) , windows recognized a hard drive (usb) attached to my router with the latest version , windows refuses to recognize the router , even though i am connected t the router. I have a netgear r7000 with a usb hard drive....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how can i upgrade my router sharing usb to smb2