Windows 10: .smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad

Discus and support .smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Well...… from what the subject says, I am stuck with a notepad being stuck to the .smod file association. The problem is I have no way to set it back... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DeathstrokeG, Aug 21, 2018.

1. .smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad

Well...… from what the subject says, I am stuck with a notepad being stuck to the .smod file association. The problem is I have no way to set it back to default, even when going into the registry.

.smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad a58a1527-8b14-4f8a-92c9-7eb752655066?upload=true.png

.smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad ab7ce489-3c86-466c-9188-503f31ec7bf5?upload=true.png

There are no guides I could find, no File association manager tool (that I could find) to allow me to manually reset it to default, no videos with this specific problem, nor a way to download any kind of mod development tools to attempt to reset it that way....

:)

DeathstrokeG, Aug 21, 2018

2. ALL my files and folders opens with notepad

Hi Sabrina,

Files may open in notepad or other applications if the file associations is not configured correctly. File association is a setting where you choose a program that can open a certain file. For example, for .docx files, you can set it to be opened through
    Microsoft Word and once you open a file with that extension, it should open with the app that you set.

To better isolate the issue, please provide us more information by answering the questions below:

• What are the specific files affected?
    • What is the extension of the files? You may check this by right-clicking on the file itself then click
      Properties. The information should be in the Type of File
      field.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We're looking forward to your response.

Katrina Men, Aug 21, 2018
  3. Notepad automatically opening when ABA file downloaded

Hi Fiona,

We suggest that you follow these steps to uncheck the Always open this type of file:

• Right click on an ABA file.
    • Hover your mouse cursor on Open with and select Choose another app.
    • Uncheck the Always open this type of file and click on
      OK
    Let us know how it goes.

Nathaniel Mon, Aug 21, 2018
  4. .smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad

Notepad accidently deleted from my app list

I accidently deleted Notepad from my app list (on the far left of the windows 10 start menu) when creating a shortcut onto my start menu. How do I place it back into that app list? When I went into Notepad's file location it does not give an option to place
    it into the App List; it only gave me the option of adding it to my start bar. I did place a shortcut onto my start bar, but I really would like it to also be in the app list. Is it possible to send it back to the App List?

Thank you very much for any advice on this.

GermanShepherd_CDX, Aug 21, 2018
Thema:

.smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad

1. .smod file type accidently set to "open with" Notepad - Similar Threads - smod file type

2. Wierd .lua files opening in notepad accident

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wierd .lua files opening in notepad accident: I was downloading Davinci Resolve because my PC reset recently then while trying to download Reactor 3 from We Suck Less, I accidentally opened it with notepad and checked the box that says "always open .lua files with this app" with notepad. I have tried multiple things and...
  3. Files opening with Notepad

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files opening with Notepad: i have a issue where all my .rpf files are opening with notepad. how would i get them back to normal? the icon was a white piece of paper before if its any help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-opening-with-notepad/97a85f6f-c2f4-43a6-9c92-1e4e69ddaf28
  4. Converted .wad files to notepad by accident

Converted .wad files to notepad by accident: I downloaded a video game from steam and while I was browsing its contents I accidentally chose the option to always open up .wad files with notepad and now the game won't work. I chose to reset all default apps associated with files and then restarted my PC and that did...
  5. debug-file-opens-in-notepad

in Windows 10 Customization
    debug-file-opens-in-notepad: A notepad file text below opens up whenever I boot up my desktop computer. What does it mean? How do I deal with this? [0312/211005.586:ERROR:process_info.cc329] VirtualQueryEx: Access is denied. 0x5 [0312/211005.587:ERROR:process_info.cc556] ReadMemoryInfo failed...
  6. I opened a jar file with notepad accidently how do I revert that

I opened a jar file with notepad accidently how do I revert that: So I was trying to play with me friend and I needed to get a mod downloader for the game we were gonna play together so blah blah blah I downloaded the zip file extracted all and then tried to open the jar file but a window popped up and asked me how I wanted to open this...
  7. Rar files opening in Notepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Rar files opening in Notepad: I play games such as Sims 4 and I download custom content. A good portion of the stuff I download are RAR files. I accidentally clicked "Always open with notepad" and I can no longer get it to be just a normal file. I would like to know how to make it not open as a notepad...
  8. Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't set notepad to open .srt files by default: Hi ! Strange problem I have... I used to always open .srt files (mainly movie subtitles) with the notepad, but I installed a new application (a media player called PotPlayer). It became the default application for .srt files, but I just can't make the notepad to be the...
  9. accidently deleted notepad document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    accidently deleted notepad document: I accidently deleted a notepad document. Can i get it back? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_tools/accidently-deleted-notepad-document/a9ab6603-e143-489d-92d6-4bf64ea53e12
  10. Set ".manifest" file to open with Notepad. Will it cause problem ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Set ".manifest" file to open with Notepad. Will it cause problem ?: I have associated ".manifest" file to open with Notepad. Will this cause a problem ? I have been playing around with some manifest files and have accidentally associated to open with Notepad by default. Prior to this it had no default programme associated with it, at...