Windows 10: Snag with Repair Install

Discus and support Snag with Repair Install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I thought that I would try to do a repair install as I am having a few problems with my computer, but when I get to the page where I am asked what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vivski, Dec 6, 2015.

1. vivski Win User

Snag with Repair Install

I thought that I would try to do a repair install as I am having a few problems with my computer, but when I get to the page where I am asked what I choose to keep the 1st 2 options are greyed out and my only choice is 'Nothing'. The reason appears to be due to a message at the bottom of the screen which says 'You can't keep Windows settings, personal files and apps because your current version of Windows might be installed in an unsupported directory.'

This may be because I chose to install my Documents and Pictures directories on different hard drives to the operating system. I am wondering if I set up dummy directories on the C:/drive, whether this will allow me to choose what I wish to keep. It will be a couple of days before I am again in a position to try this so I would be interested to receive any advice from people who know more about this than I do.

:)

vivski, Dec 6, 2015

2. Creaking Case

@6307

Suppose it is all down to tolerances as screen has to spring out of case for repair. See that your camera shutter button is even more prominent than mine, which always snags threads on trouser pocket!

aspergerguy, Dec 6, 2015
  3. TJ311 Win User
    Windows 10 Update KB4056892 fails to install

No. I did a clean install of windows 10 pro about 4 months ago. It hit a snag when the January 3rd update rolled out. So then I used the media creation tool and had windows reinstall itself without removing any programs or data. The install went fine but
    it still shows me on the old build 16299.125

TJ311, Dec 6, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User
  5. vivski Win User
    Thanks Ztruker,

I will try that when I have time in a day or two.

Viv

PS, now that I have taken the time to read the instructions I see that it will not help. I am supposed to make 2 edits to the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE> SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion >ProfileList, but I see that my registry already contains the data which I am supposed to enter, so I have no changes to make.

vivski, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Snag with Repair Install

1. Snag with Repair Install - Similar Threads - Snag Repair Install

2. If hit a snag with Definition Update in WU on 27/4

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    If hit a snag with Definition Update in WU on 27/4: If you hit an error when updating Defender definition April 27th, do this:> PowerShell OR Windows Terminal.type cd.. hit entertype cd.. hit entertype Update-MpSignatureWhen complete it will not be listed with Definition Updates in Update History. The next one via WU tomorrow...
  3. If hit a snag with Definition Update in WU

If hit a snag with Definition Update in WU: If you hit an error when update Defender definition April 27th, do this:> PowerShell OR Windows Terminal.type cd.. hit entertype cd.. hit entertype Update-MpSignatureWhen complete it will not be listed with Definition Updates in Update History. The next one via WU tomorrow...
  4. Repair Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Repair Install: Hey all, I want to repair install windows 10. So I download the .iso file and mounted it up in a USB Flash Drive. I had chosen a windows 10 20H2 version. So if i repair install Windows 10 through that USB Flash drive, will it delete any personal files in the partitions...
  5. Bandlab Install Snag: Windows Firewall Blockage

Bandlab Install Snag: Windows Firewall Blockage: At the very first step in the Install Windows threw this warning. Am I assuming correctly that if I check "Private Network..." all features will be available and that I not be facing any security risks? Thanks for your help. [img] 168285
  6. HDMI: Two Independent Rotations Snag

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI: Two Independent Rotations Snag: I purchased a second monitor so that I could have one in Landscape frame and one in Portrait frame. The HDMI splitter that I purchased replicates only one orientation. It does not provide for independent rotation of a second other monitor. With the splitter in- line Windows...
  7. HDMI: Two Independent Rotations Snag

in Windows 10 Support
    HDMI: Two Independent Rotations Snag: I purchased a second monitor so that I could have one in Landscape frame and one in Portrait frame. The HDMI splitter that I purchased replicates only one orientation. It does not provide for independent rotation of a second other monitor. With the splitter in- line Windows...
  8. Repair Install

Repair Install: If you do a repair install of Windows 10 Pro will it keep your FireFox or do you have to reinstall FireFox? I'm using Windows 10 Pro version 1909 OS Build 18363.900 158395
  9. Install/Repair ?

Install/Repair ?: If I'm going to do a Rep/Inst on a fairly new W-10 Home, with 1909 on it, what iso, and where, can I use. Seems to me I need the same Version??? 151355
  10. Ridding of Windows.old: a snag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Ridding of Windows.old: a snag: As per one of the tutorials, I used used the cleaning facility to remove Windows.old, but can find no evidence of a Previous Windows installation(s)FiFile, when I open the Clean System Files option. Can anyone help me, please! 47552