Windows 10: So a white page overlay showed up on most of my desktop icons today...

Discus and support So a white page overlay showed up on most of my desktop icons today... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; [img] In that image you can see the problem, along with he nasty uac overlay which I also want to remove now there's an overlay of a page too almost... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sketch, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Sketch Win User

So a white page overlay showed up on most of my desktop icons today...

So a white page overlay showed up on most of my desktop icons today... [​IMG]
    In that image you can see the problem, along with he nasty uac overlay which I also want to remove now there's an overlay of a page too almost completely obscuring icons with overlays I wouldn't mind completely deleting the files for...

So yeah anyone found a way to remove either or both of the overlays?

:)

Sketch, Aug 19, 2015

2. How do I shrink the size of the blue arrow or blue/yellow checkered shield over the top of my desktop shortcut icons?

On my desktop shortcuts, the blue arrows on white squares are taking up almost the entire lower left quadrant of my icon. Also, some shortcuts have a blue and yellow checkered shield in the lower right quadrant. Combined, about half the icon is obscured.
    Is there any way to shrink the size of arrows and shields that overlay these icons, or conversely, increase the relative size of the icons so that the arrow or shield obscures less of them?

MrBrassman, Aug 19, 2015
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    icon overlayed by white page icon

In Windows File Explorer, on the View Tab, check the box marked 'Hidden Items' to be able to see the appdata folder . . .

DaveM121, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello sketch,

It looks like your shortcut arrow overlay got messed up. If you like, you can download and merge the .reg file for the listed lnk (LNK) option in the tutorial below to restore the default registry entries and associations for shortcuts. *Smile

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8...dows-10-a.html

Brink, Aug 19, 2015
  5. Sketch Win User
    That would explain the overlay... upgraded from 7 where I had removed the shortcut arrows with UWT among other changes I made using that.

A little confused that it took like 2 weeks for the overlay to try loading.

And that link didn't help, restarted after running that and the overlay is still a massive page icon...

Don't suppose there is anything that can be done to tell windows not to use overlays on icons (even if you have to specify the icons) right? :/

Sketch, Aug 19, 2015
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
    You might see if you may be able to use UWT to restore the shortcut arrows since there's no telling what method it may have used.

Brink, Aug 19, 2015
  7. Sketch Win User
    Found a way, went through a tutorial you posted for 7 here: Shortcut Arrow - Change, Remove, or Restore - Windows 7 Help Forums to find the registry key they used and deleted the keys then restarted explorer. exe and now it's just shortcut arrows.

Now to remove the shortcut arrows again and hope they stay gone (then wait for a way to remove the uac overlay haha.

Thanks brink, never woulda figured out where the keys were without that old post from win 7

Sketch, Aug 19, 2015
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Aug 19, 2015
  9. Sketch Win User
    Weird, that file should have fixed it outright then.. ah well, and yeah already had that windows 10 tutorial open haha, found that when I first go 10 loaded as I was looking into removing overlays relating to the uac shield one which afaik still hasn't had a removal method found.

Sketch, Aug 19, 2015
  10. JonF Win User
    I had the same problem, and used the info in this thread to fix my shortcut icons.
    Now shortcuts are fine but every non-shortcut has the big page overlay. Including large and small folder icons. Very obnoxious.

So a white page overlay showed up on most of my desktop icons today... [​IMG]

11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jon, *Smile

Which info did you use?

Brink, Mar 7, 2017
  12. Brink
    Brink New Member
    It appears that you have something else that is adding an overlay on these items.

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this started may sort it for you.

System Restore Windows 10

Brink, Mar 7, 2017
  13. JonF Win User

Restore for C: is and has been on. There are no restore points. I doubt a malware infection because I use Windows Defender and a paid Malwarebytes, but I'll try a few more scanners.

14. JonF Win User
    I managed to convince Veritas System Recovery (nee Norton Ghost) that it really should restore the system. It didn't want to because it thought the disk layout had changed. Problem solved.

15. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Great news Jon. *Party

Brink, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. So a white page overlay showed up on most of my desktop icons today... - Similar Threads - white page overlay

2. Desktop icons not showing up.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Desktop icons not showing up.: When I go to my desktop, all of the icons are gone and that white-ish box on the top left of the screen is then there, I don't know what it could be. Has anybody had this before/knows how to fix it?...
  3. Desktop Icons Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons Not Showing Up: Hey everyone, so this morning I turned on my PC and everything worked fine its just that none of the icons on either the desktop, taskbar or any folder icons show up. Its only the names that show up, I tried some methods on YouTube by deleting some icon cache and restarting...
  4. OneDrive overlay on desktop icons

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive overlay on desktop icons: I have some - not all - desktop icons that have what I think is the OneDrive overlay on them, a white circle with a tick. And, I'd like to remove the overlay. I know there are techniques for doing that, I'm just wondering why they're so hard to get rid of. The icons are all...
  5. All my desktop icons are not showing up

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All my desktop icons are not showing up: there is a white bar in the top left corner of the screen and when i right click on the desktop no menu shows up how can I fix this submitted by /u/Ro807Pan6a [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/izl8o8/all_my_desktop_icons_are_not_showing_up/
  6. My Images Are Showing Up As White "Pages"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Images Are Showing Up As White "Pages": [ATTACH]All of my Images on my computer have the same look, what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-images-are-showing-up-as-white-pages/72576be4-e86e-48f0-834c-22004194ab36
  7. most of my desktop icons are duplicated showing a red circle with a white x are smaller...

in Windows 10 Customization
    most of my desktop icons are duplicated showing a red circle with a white x are smaller...: most of my desktop icons are duplicated showing a red circle with a white x are smaller than the original and I cannot delete them please help...
  8. Blank page icons overlaying .lnk and .url files on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank page icons overlaying .lnk and .url files on desktop: As the title says I have blank pages overlaying only some file extension types. Here is a preview: [img] I have tried everything on forums so far but haven't managed to sort it out. That includes downloading and merging the .reg files for those file types. I'm not a...
  9. Icons not showing up on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons not showing up on desktop: Hello all, I've run into a problem on my laptop where icons are not showing up on the desktop. If I go to Personalization and add icons for My Computer, Recycle Bin, or whatever, they don't show up. Copy-pasting a file to the desktop, it doesn't show up. However, I can see...
  10. White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons

in Windows 10 Support
    White folder overlays on desktop folder shortcut icons: [img] It happened suddenly, today. I have 4 shortcuts on my desktop which I use to quickly save files to the various folders. I selected the Icons to make them look good and distinguish between them. After an upgrade they displayed white overlays which add nothing to their...