Windows 10: So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...

Discus and support So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am transferring files from my old Windows 7 computer to my new Windows 10 computer, but I am kind of new at this whole transferring thing. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RussLogic64, Sep 3, 2015.

1. So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...

I am transferring files from my old Windows 7 computer to my new Windows 10 computer, but I am kind of new at this whole transferring thing. I have some questions: What cable do I need? What software do I use to do the transfer? Do both computers have to be on at the same time?

:)

RussLogic64, Sep 3, 2015

2. disk error canot continue write retry or data wil be lost

Thank you so much...... Forgive my ignorance I did some light reading and it seems the latest version is belle refresh

or something like that.... i also read you have to download it from a computer then transfer it to ur phone which i am planning on doing

kiizakihembo, Sep 3, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Mail and creating new folders

Yes, I learned to do the same thing. But I am tired of the hassle of Windows taking one step forward and two steps backward. I am making plans to transfer to a MacBook.

SpikeHostetler, Sep 3, 2015
  4. So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...

Depends what it is you are wanting to transfer. Just files, or files and settings? You might be able to use windows easy transfer from 7 to 10, though not sure if 10 supports it or not. The upgrade will tell you if it will be able to keep your files if you are looking to upgrade. here is easy transfer: Transfer files and settings from another computer - Windows Help
    No, this method not supported in 10. v

If just files, you could gather them together and use this (which transfer method should i use): Transferring files and settings: frequently asked questions - Windows Help

Another potential method: Share files using the Public folders

DustSailor, Sep 3, 2015
  5. Files and Settings, actually. And I do doubt that Windows 10 will support the Easy Transfer thing. Do I even need a cable for this, or is it wireless?

RussLogic64, Sep 3, 2015
  6. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Sep 3, 2015
  7. Ringel05 Win User
    Buy a thumb drive, plug it into a USB on the 7 machine, copy the files you want to the thumb drive then plug the drive into a USB on the 10 machine and copy the files to the 10 machine.

Ringel05, Sep 3, 2015
  8. So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...

I'll check it out. Still, do I need a cable, and if so, what kind?

RussLogic64, Sep 3, 2015
  9. Don't NEED a cable, it is just one option. But there are numerous ways to transfer files, USB being fairly common. You could also upload to a cloud service like OneDrive or other and then simply download when the computer is ready. It helps too if you have very high speed internet for this method. Your choice, but you need to locate all your files manually to transfer.

If you are trying to upgrade your computer to 10, then the files from 7 are automatically moved to the new install. See this for more info to that end, including moving settings over: Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

DustSailor, Sep 3, 2015
  10. AddRAM Win User
    As suggested just go buy a flash drive, easiest method on the planet, other then using your network.

Just go buy a 16, 32, or 64 GB flash drive, whatever size you need.

AddRAM, Sep 3, 2015
  11. Teddy Win User
    If you are looking to transfer your files only (like pictures/documents), then I'd get a USB drive and be done with it. Tip: an external drive is faster than a USB thumb drive, and higher capacity, although of course slightly more expensive.

If you are looking for full transfer, of settings and programs as well, you would need a 3rd party tool.

There are several out there, the one I personally use is Zinstall. They have an Windows 10 Easy Transfer alternative, which will copy files, settings etc., and they also have a tool that can actually transfer programs to a new PC, i.e. full migration.

Teddy, Sep 6, 2015
  12. Bringing this topic back up, I have a 128 GB USB. Now, I'd like to ask: how do I move my programs and their settings onto the USB drive? I ask because I am new at this.

RussLogic64, Sep 16, 2015
  13. WhyMe Win User

So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...

I am going to assume you used the link in the post by essenbe and that you are therefore using "laplink PCMover" (free version via Microsoft).

This link is for the pdf of the user manual.

WhyMe, Sep 17, 2015
  14. Haven't even downloaded it yet. Will I need my USB?

RussLogic64, Sep 17, 2015
  15. WhyMe Win User
    @RussLogic64

I've never used the program and haven't read the guide. If I was you, I'd probably have a look at what the guide says first. I'd be looking for instructions within to guide me through the whole process.

WhyMe, Sep 17, 2015
Thema:

So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers...

1. So, I am planning on doing some transferring between two computers... - Similar Threads - planning doing transferring

2. Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Corrupted transfer of an app between two drives: I had Sea of Thieves on drive D, a HDD, and wanted to move it to C, a SSD via the program manager option.Midtransfer, I have accidentaly closed the program manager, and now I am stuck in this state: C has already allocated all the space needed for the game, but program...
  3. Transfer progress between two xbox accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer progress between two xbox accounts: Hello,So a couple of months ago I decided to get Game Pass for PC. So I opened an xbox account with my existing Microsoft profile outlook adress. When opening my first game after subscribing, a message appeared saying that I need to create an account to play... Okay, done,...
  4. Office transfer between computers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Office transfer between computers: I want to transfer Office 2013 from one laptop to another. The other laptop has Office 2007. Then I want to buy Office home and student 2019 for the second laptop. How is this done?...
  5. Cant transfer folders between two computers?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant transfer folders between two computers?: Hello, Does anyone have experience transfer data between two computers ? I connected rj45 between them didnt work connected them both to a router doesnt work Sometimes i can see each computer name but when i click on it , it says network credentials but neither computer...
  6. Transferring two licences between three computers

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring two licences between three computers: I have two windows 10 licences, one used on computer that doesn't work anymore and another on lap top in use. I'm buying a new computer and I would like to move licence I have on lap top, as it's pro version, to new computer and put licence from not working computer to lap...
  7. Transferring OS between two SSDs

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transferring OS between two SSDs: Hello all I built a small home server a year or so ago. As i had a spare key lying around, I have used Windows 10 as my OS and simply connected all my other devices to it. It’s obviously not a bespoke server solution but it works well enough for my purposes. I used a...
  8. Transferring data between two computers.

in Windows 10 Support
    Transferring data between two computers.: Hello, I have recently bought a new laptop and I want to transfer all the data from my Personal Computer to laptop. Which option should I use, disk image or clone creator? Is transferring all the data in order to make my laptop the same as my computer even possible? Both...
  9. How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen?

How do I transfer files between two laptops, one with no screen?: I have two laptops and one has no working screen and I need to connect them together so I can download a lot of files to my new laptop. I do have a cross-over ethernet cable and am running windows 10 on both laptops. 69633
  10. Slow transfer speed between two builds

Slow transfer speed between two builds: Hey, y'all I just finished a new build and turned my old setup into a server/data host for my network. Both computers have a fresh install of windows and are connected together through a router with a Cat6 and Cat5 cable with a average connection of 200Down/30Up. Issue im...