Windows 10: So many things don't work

Discus and support So many things don't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; He's using an OEM install and for some odd reason likes Internet Explorer. My advice to the original poster is don't use IE. Hell try edge before IE,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by little2late0, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Britton Win User

So many things don't work

He's using an OEM install and for some odd reason likes Internet Explorer. My advice to the original poster is don't use IE. Hell try edge before IE, Firefox (my choice) or even Chrome. That will solve some of your search provider problems, the developers over at the Mozilla foundation even added support in the options to redirect Cortana search query's to Firefox with Google as the default search engine. Provided you have changed you default browser in Windows settings as David has been trying to tell you to do.

As for your PDF viewer I can't recommend Adobe anymore, it is overwhelmingly bloated and slow on any PC. Try Foxit Reader, its free and faster. and integrates with the browser of your choice so you can read PDF's directly in the browser tabs. You can still launch saved PDF files using the local Foxit program, you have options when installing, something Adobe doesn't let you do. With Adobe its all or nothing.

As for removing the login password, that's pretty easy. Just use a local account and leave the password field blank when setting the user name. You can access that area by going to the start menu and clicking your account picture at the top left corner of the start menu, then choosing "Change account settings". From there you'll be placed on the "Your email and accounts" click the "Use Local Account" then follow the on screen instructions.

As for the control panel icon I can't help you, I have it pinned to the task bar for easy access so it stay the same size all the time.

As for the Nvidia control panel, I would suggest downloading the latest driver, uninstalling the current driver and reinstalling with the "perform a clean install" option ticked on when your moving through the setup programs information dialogs. Reboot and see if the control panel will launch, or just right click an empty spot on the desktop and verify that the Nvidia CP option shows up in the shell menu and try to go into it..

Good Luck!

Britton, Feb 15, 2016
  2. SonicBlue Win User

Just to ad Bing is owned by Microsoft.

SonicBlue, Feb 15, 2016
  3. OK. Finally got the problem resolved. Dell's install of Windows 10 was somehow corrupted. We restated Windows 10 and now everything is working like it should. Thanks for all your attempts to help me resolve the issue!

little2late0, Feb 17, 2016
  4. So many things don't work

Hi glad you got it working ok
    We do our best to try and help

hTconeM9user, Feb 18, 2016
  5. It's never a bad idea to do a clean install of the OS on an OEM system.

DeaconFrost, Feb 18, 2016
  6. You are probably right. BUT, the darn program I was using while on the phone with Dell Support not only wiped out my C: drive for the new install but also wiped out my 2nd internal hard drive I've been using for backups. Wiped out all my backup files. I had a flash drive I used occasionally but I stopped using it back in Nov, 2015. Soooooo, all my files saved since Nov are gone and must be rebuilt. Sucks!

little2late0, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

So many things don't work

1. So many things don't work - Similar Threads - many things don't

2. Many things not working upon windows 11 install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Many things not working upon windows 11 install: Just purchased a new lenovo legion 5 that has win 11, the taskbar/ start menu isnt working outside of opening edge and opera, settings will not open with the windows button+I command, clicking on the settings wheel in the bottom right corner tells me i need a new app to open...
  3. Many things not working upon windows 11 install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Many things not working upon windows 11 install: Just purchased a new lenovo legion 5 that has win 11, the taskbar/ start menu isnt working outside of opening edge and opera, settings will not open with the windows button+I command, clicking on the settings wheel in the bottom right corner tells me i need a new app to open...
  4. Certain things in taskbar among other things don't work.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Certain things in taskbar among other things don't work.: This happened after the new windows update on 4/14/21. Everything was working fine until then. I got the computer at the end of 2019. After the new update there are a number of bugs but the ones that really prevent me are the fact that pressing f4 does not open screen...
  5. Help so many things not working!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help so many things not working!: Ok so there’s many things where if I click them they don’t open or do anything, I’ll list them now: Settings won’t open Can’t use search bar in left corner When I click the windows icon on desktop in left corner nothing happens Can’t open display settings Sea of thieves...
  6. Many important things not opening!

Many important things not opening!: Hello! Today I was watching some YouTube videos on how to make my laptop faster and I tried many things to make it faster. After those steps I wanted to open the task manager but it wouldn't open. Then I tried opening it by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete and it still didn't...
  7. why so many things wrong

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    why so many things wrong: why is it things in the program list open but disappear without me being able to use them such as camera, calculator, feedback hub and others and why is it windows 10 freezes up after about 20 minutes and has to be restarted only to have webpages not load completely and why...
  8. I got little things I got so many I don't know where to start

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I got little things I got so many I don't know where to start: Okay like I had Wi-Fi network driver problems and I flipped through so many settings that now I've got a bunch of little details to smooth over like Windows can't find search my browser internet Explorer he don't work I've reset him try to fix him but he's in denial I have...
  9. So many things wrong

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    So many things wrong: I recently bought a HP Pavilion desktop and i'm starting to have problems after I updated it. I can't open the task manager even with shortcuts. I can only open Chrome by clicking it on the desktop There are no apps on the taskbar, and when I click anything on it nothing...
  10. Many things not working

Many things not working: I am using Windows 10 Pro . So earlier i was going across regedit and i was setting permissions to a group , nvm so later my screen just refreshed and actually i couldn't see half of my taskbar , it was like invisible . I could point the mouse to that and it would eventually...