Windows 10: Software Installation - Error 2203?

Discus and support Software Installation - Error 2203? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I've been running Windows 10 Home on three systems since Nov. 2015. I have repeatedly run into this error when installing or even uninstalling... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by zaqxsw, Mar 12, 2016.

1. zaqxsw Win User

Software Installation - Error 2203?

I've been running Windows 10 Home on three systems since Nov. 2015. I have repeatedly run into this error when installing or even uninstalling software. I never received this error while running Windows 7.

I have spent hours researching this, and believe it is a permission issue. Even though I have an administrator account on all of the systems, and have the UAC setting to "Never Notify", I got numerous notifications when copying/renaming/etc. files. I also got this error.

I have gone into my "most used" folders and given myself full control permission. I did the same on my Windows "Installer" folder and user account "Temp" folder. This helped significantly!

I still run into the Error 2203. I now found if I set the following registry value to "0" and reboot, I workaround the error:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
    "EnableLUA"=dword:00000000

However, I have to re-enable this after doing the install/uninstall that gave the error. Windows won't let me run Edge, etc. if this is set to "0".

What's up with this error? I know have a workaround, but something isn't right. Thanks for any replies!

:)

zaqxsw, Mar 12, 2016

2. software installation error

you do not want windows 10 32bit

If you are using an older program this is what you have to do

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features

uninstall the program

restart pc

now the installer file or cd right click on it and select compatibility mode

now you need to know when this older program was created, if it was XP then select to install in XPsp2 or XPsp3 mode. after it installs check the program and see if it works, if it does, select in wizard to save settings and finish it out and restart pc

if it doe not work select it worked on a previous version and then try windows 7 mode

seahawks65, Mar 12, 2016
  3. Macsimon Win User
    software installation error

When I installed PATHFINDv6, that installed ok on Windows XP, I got error Stamin32.dll is missing. After updating my windows 10 32-bit with whatever updates you gave me I have a new error: "The code execution cannot proceed because Stamin32.DLL was not
    found..."

What do I do now?

By the way, I got the first error on my windows 10 64-bit so I am trying it on a windows 10 32-bit install

Macsimon, Mar 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, if it is a permissions issue - and of course you shouldn't have to do what you're doing- you could perhaps try Tweaking.com's free repair tool, work thru the cautious initial preparatory stages, and then try the various permissions repairs.

It might help if you quote the exact error msg.

But hopefully you've got this sorted out by now..

dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  5. zaqxsw Win User
    Thanks dalchina!

It's hard to believe that I would have a permission issue on three different systems where I have done a clean install of Windows 10...... I'm surprised there are not more people with this issue.

zaqxsw, Mar 17, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, I hadn't appreciated you were seeing this on all 3 - I'd assumed you meant on just 1 of 3 as this isn't a normal situation. You certainly shouldn't have to change permissions like this which might have long term unexpected consequences in the worst case.

Could you post the full message you get which I understand is generated if you move/copy/rename.

The registry mod you're doing is to do with UAC and behaviour of the elevated command prompt.

Thoughts:
    1. If these are networked, perhaps a virus.
    2. Sthg installed that is common to these.
    3. Sthg conflicting in some manner.

Diagnosis:

Ensure the symptom is present.
    (Which may mean reversing some changes you've made)
    1. Try a clean boot and see if this is observed then
    Clean Boot - Perform in Windows 10 to Troubleshoot Software Conflicts - Windows 10 Forums

If not resolved:
    2. Use Shellexview (free) to disable shell extensions which might be conflicting.
    Hide all MS extensions, disable all others. (No need to log off). See if symptom disappears.
    If any effect, enable groups of extensions until symptom recurs.

Finally you can also check in Safe Mode.

More possibilities:
    In an elevated command prompt type
    chkdsk C: /F
    (Or whichever disk/partition is relevant).

when renaming folders in Windows 10 - Super User

[Fix] Cannot Rename Or Move Folders In Windows 10, Due To Missing FolderDescriptions Registry Entries - The Winhelponline Blog

dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  7. zaqxsw Win User
    Thanks again. I regularly run chkdsk C: /f

I'm not willing to undo all of the things I've done to troubleshoot this. I have a work around.

zaqxsw, Mar 17, 2016
  8. dalchina New Member

Fine I understand you do not want any more assistance. Good luck.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  9. zaqxsw Win User
    I do thank you.

One thing I can show is the 2203 error during an installation:

Software Installation - Error 2203? [​IMG]

This was attempting to install the Fed Government's SS calculator that I have used for many years. If I disable LUA in the registry, it will install fine.

Thanks again

zaqxsw, Mar 17, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Thanks, much easier to look up now.

I believe that's what you have addressed as regards permissions
    Fix for During Office 2010 Setup
    is a nicely presented article FYI.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  11. zaqxsw Win User
    Thanks for the link. While I had given my user name full control of %Temp%, I now added "Everyone" with full control. I'll see how this goes.

zaqxsw, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Software Installation - Error 2203? - Similar Threads - Software Installation Error

2. Error 2203 During Installation of Custom MSI on Multiple Machines: Troubleshooting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 2203 During Installation of Custom MSI on Multiple Machines: Troubleshooting: We encountered an issue while installing the MSI using the following command: msiexec /i localMSI.msi /qn /L*V localMSI.log The installation process displayed an error message stating: "The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may...
  3. Error 2203 when attempting uninstall/install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 2203 when attempting uninstall/install: Hello,No matter which tutorial/forum I follow I cant seem to get rid of error 2203 in which I cant install or uninstall certain files. The latest guide I followed along with is the link below but it didnt seem to work. Maybe I'm overlooking something simple but I'm at my wits...
  4. Error 2203 when attempting uninstall/install

Error 2203 when attempting uninstall/install: Hello,No matter which tutorial/forum I follow I cant seem to get rid of error 2203 in which I cant install or uninstall certain files. The latest guide I followed along with is the link below but it didnt seem to work. Maybe I'm overlooking something simple but I'm at my wits...
  5. Error 2203

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error 2203: I have a big problem. I have error 2203. I try a lot of thing by internet (change name on regedit, temp1, add everyoane, stop Windows installer and modify it) but nothing work. What can I do? I cant install or unistall any app. submitted by /u/Barbie-sexy_2008 [link]...
  6. Error 2203

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Error 2203: Hello! I have a big problem. When I try to install any app Im getting error 2203. I try a lot of thing but nothing. I try to give me acces on security on Temp folder but I cant change it (no permision). submitted by /u/Barbie-sexy_2008 [link] [comments]...
  7. Windows 10 Installer Error 2203

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Installer Error 2203: Hey Microsoft - looking for help please with Windows 10. SInce an update a few months back on my work Vaio laptop I have been having issues installing/uninstalling software. There is a software I see that is listed in Programs and Features yet when I attempt to use that...
  8. Insallation problems with 2203 error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Insallation problems with 2203 error: Hi to all, I am new to this forum and I would ask a question to the Microsoft Community Forum. As far as I read, lot of people have crashed with the internal error 2203. Before writing, I have tried the methods suggested by all of you but I did not succeed. I am trying to...
  9. Error code "2203" Windows 10 installer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error code "2203" Windows 10 installer: Hi, when I try to install Oracle VirtualBox or VMware workspace I take this error: "the installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. The error code is 2203." [ATTACH] I tried to give full control to both of Temp files to Administrator, System,...
  10. Install / Uninstall MSI Error 2203

Install / Uninstall MSI Error 2203: Hello, I am having trouble, I first noticed it when an iTunes update came out and the auto update failed, I thought nothing of it. Next Adobe said it had an update, but it failed too. Then Plex media server did the same. I finally gave in and manually downloaded the...