Windows 10: Software Protection Service causing stutter

Discus and support Software Protection Service causing stutter in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Once or twice a day I get a half second of stutter where my video and audio will stutter for half a second. The only thing I've found in the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LightReflection, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Software Protection Service causing stutter

Once or twice a day I get a half second of stutter where my video and audio will stutter for half a second. The only thing I've found in the Windows Logs seems to be the Software Protection Service starts when the stutter happens. Any ideas? I've done a full format with no luck, stuttering still occurs.

:)

LightReflection, Dec 6, 2015
  2. Chrysler Win User

Recurrent stutters in games caused by Diagnostics Policy Service

Hi,

I'd like to report an issue I have been experiencing since early Windows 10 Insider builds (if I remember correctly). At the start of every minute, games stutter for about half a second. The stuttering is literally happening exactly every minute. Sometimes
    the stutters are barely noticeably and sometimes they are lasting for more than half a second which is extremely distracting.

I found out that the System Resource Usage Monitor (SRUM) of Diagnostics Policy Service is the cause, more specifically the Energy Estimation Provider (eeprov.dll). It seems to collect stats about energy consumption in the background. Stopping the DPS service
    or just deleting the entry for eeprov.dll at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SRUM\Extensions\{97C2CE28-A37B-4920-B1E9-8B76CD341EC5} fixes the stuttering.

My system:

Windows 10 Pro x64 1511

Packard Bell EasyNote TK 85

Intel Core i5-460M

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, using latest display driver 359.00

6 GB DDR3 memory

SSD system drive

I discovered that the stuttering only happens when games are running with the dedicated NVIDIA graphics adapter. The stutters disappear if I switch to the Intel graphics driver. I am not sure who's to blame, SRUM or the NVIDIA driver, but thought I'll report the
    issue here in any case.

Chrysler, Dec 6, 2015
  3. Jelu Cal Win User
    windows software protection service

Hi Liam,

Concerns related to high CPU usage can be due to the system configuration of your device. To better understand your concern, we'd like to know the following:

• If you've already performed a scan on your device using an antivirus software.
    • The last activities performed on your device prior to your concern.
    • The version and build of Windows 10 that you're using on your device. To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this

link

In the meantime, we'd recommend performing a clean boot in Windows to isolate software conflicts on your device. To do this, you can perform the steps posted on this

link
    . Once you're in the clean boot environment, check if you'll still experience your concern about high CPU usage. The link will also provide steps on how to isolate the cause and how to revert your device back to normal boot after troubleshooting.

We look forward to your response.

Jelu Cal, Dec 6, 2015
  4. Software Protection Service causing stutter

Just an update on this, it seem with the PC in "High Performance" mode these stutters don't occur. My processor is overclocked, perhaps that has something to do with it. I know I never had any issues with the same setup on Windows 8.

LightReflection, Dec 23, 2015
Thema:

Software Protection Service causing stutter

1. Software Protection Service causing stutter - Similar Threads - Software Protection Service

2. Cannot start Software Protection Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot start Software Protection Service: have taken ownership of sppsvc, have changed ownership on regedit, process still won't start, telling me access is denied, I have also reset windows, and still the process will not start, it is not allowing me to update because of this...
  3. Cannot start Software Protection Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot start Software Protection Service: have taken ownership of sppsvc, have changed ownership on regedit, process still won't start, telling me access is denied, I have also reset windows, and still the process will not start, it is not allowing me to update because of this...
  4. Software Protection Service

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Software Protection Service: Hi,I'm sorry my English is so bad. But I need your help.I wanted to check emails and send emails then My computer was restarted this afternoon and it went to BIOS, I checked the logs in Event Viewer and it was because of the Software Protection Service. I don't know why and I...
  5. Software Protection services

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Software Protection services: I want to activate windows 10 but can't since software protection services is disabled. I get error 5 when I try to start it. I saw online that I need to give myself permission in the sppsvc folder in order to start software protection but when I go to the "Permissions for...
  6. Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service: Hello everyone. First post Microsoft Software Protection Platform Service launches only when gaming... My PC is suitable for old games or modern games with low settings to get the maximum performance. When launching games from Steam, Uplay the Microsoft Software Protection...
  7. Software Protection Service Wont Start

in Windows 10 Support
    Software Protection Service Wont Start: The software protection service (sppsvc) will not start. When I try to run this command: "net start sppsvc" in an administrator command prompt I get this error: "The Software Protection service could not be started. A system error has occurred. System error 5 has occurred....
  8. How to disable software protection service

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to disable software protection service: As discussed in the topic. because i was play online game but suddenly my computer have restart automatic and take so many time to reboot i'm wait until there finished to start and see 1 log i think this is a problem "Successfully scheduled Software Protection service for...
  9. Software Protection Platform Service Sppsvc.exe causing High CPU usage

in Windows 10 News
    Software Protection Platform Service Sppsvc.exe causing High CPU usage: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Microsoft Software Protection Platform allows the company to validate Microsoft services, and make sure nobody tampers with Windows or any Microsoft software including Office, OneDrive and so on. The process which does this job on Windows 10 is Sppsvc.exe. It...
  10. Can't enable Software Protection Service

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can't enable Software Protection Service: Hello, I can't enable the service "Software Protection" becuase of that error: Der Dienst "Software Protection" auf "Lokaler Computer" konnte nicht gestartet werden. Fehler 1058: Der angegebene Dienst kann nicht gestartet werden. Er ist deaktiviert oder nicht mit...