Windows 10: SoftwareDistribution Folder

Discus and support SoftwareDistribution Folder in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; ]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files. Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Shiron, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Shiron Win User

SoftwareDistribution Folder

]I just found where all my updates were located. However there are lots of folders and files.
    Can I safely delete them as they take up lots of space?
    The figure below shows how much is in the folder.
    Thanks for any help.

SoftwareDistribution Folder [​IMG]

:)

Shiron, Aug 11, 2015

2. Windows update folder SoftwareDistribution corrupted

Use the Following tutorial to Reset Windows updates completely and check if it helps:

Reset Windows updates

Make sure to run the script as an administrator.

Sumit Dhiman2, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Windows update folder SoftwareDistribution corrupted

I was facing high RAM usage issue. I browsed a lot online. I read about deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder inside C:\Windows. I hurriedly selected all inside the folder and pressed delete. Some files could not delete as they were said to be in use.
    However, i went back to the website i was looking and it had clearly told to first stop the windows update service before attempting to recreate the SoftwareDistributionfolder. I did not do that in the first time. So i decided to repeat this process. I first
    went to Services app in windows 10. Then chose Windows Update service and i tried to stop it but got an
    Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

I then decided to see check for updates in windows in hope that this will recover the corrupted update services. But the update seems stuck at 9 % forever. I am afraid that my Windows Update service has been corrupted. Can someone please help me to
    stop and start the Windows update service and rebuild the SoftwareDistributionfolder
    folder correctly?

shaukishrishri, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

You didn't get the image uploaded. Use the Go Advanced button just below the text box when you Edit your post.

Berton, Aug 11, 2015
  5. Shiron Win User
    Could not see "use advanced button
    Thanks for help

Shiron, Aug 11, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    Sorry, the Go Advanced is when you create the message. For the Edit scroll on down and choose Manage Attachments. Takes a bit of looking around on a page to find all the information.

Berton, Aug 11, 2015
  7. Shiron Win User
    Finally got the attachment into my message. Hopefully someone cant have an answer for me.
    Thanls

Shiron, Aug 12, 2015
  8. jds63 Win User

You mean exactly C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads contents inside download folder ? Can safely delete these, always do so number of days after installing updates. Also Use Disk Cleanup.

jds63, Aug 12, 2015
  9. Shiron Win User
    Yes that's exactly what I mean. Is it safe to delete all the folders and files inside the
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Downloads folder.

Shiron, Aug 12, 2015
  10. jds63 Win User
    Yes, it is ! Do a Disk Cleanup also.

jds63, Aug 12, 2015
  11. Just wondering if it is necessary to stop the "Windows Update Service and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service" before deleting the contents in the "Download" folder as I have seen this in another article, where the writer stops these services before deletion, then starts them up again all via command prompt.

Hawks in 17, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. SoftwareDistribution Folder - Similar Threads - SoftwareDistribution Folder

2. SoftwareDistribution folder has nothing in it, so I can't update Windows 10. What should I do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SoftwareDistribution folder has nothing in it, so I can't update Windows 10. What should I do?: What should I do? I'm also concerned I have a Virus, or something malicious in my computer because I also can't use Disk Cleanup and a few other important things....
  3. Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting SoftwareDistribution Folder: Dear Support,I accidentally deleted the SoftwareDistribution folder instead of the downloads forler inside of there while clearing caches.I did press skip on everything that popped up.I just wanna make sure if all it okay by asking this here.Or is it better to delete the...
  4. Delete SoftwareDistribution folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Delete SoftwareDistribution folder: If I delete the SoftwareDistribution folder can I still uninstall updates? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-softwaredistribution-folder/990eb5dc-1966-4e82-9bb3-ee8da3a39e54
  5. Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.

Updates 4.04 GB but SoftwareDistribution folder is empty.: [ATTACH] Hello, I'm having an issue in which according to settings, the updates are taking 4.04 GB of space. Is there any way to clean it? I already checked SoftwareDistrubition/Download and it's empty there. Can someone please help me with this issue? Thank you....
  6. Windows Update fails after messing with SoftwareDistribution folder

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update fails after messing with SoftwareDistribution folder: Having a bit of trouble with updates for Windows 10 Home OEM. First try (today) 2020-03 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1909 for x64-based Systems (KB4551762) status: Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later....
  7. SoftwareDistribution folder w/ MS genuine content ?

SoftwareDistribution folder w/ MS genuine content ?: Hi, How can I be sure that c:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder receives only certified MS content ( Windows Updates and alike )? Or can this folder's content be tampered somehow ( even theoretically ) ? Just a thought *Think Thank you for taking your time to read this....
  8. Can I delete the contents of the SoftwareDistribution download folder without it harming my...

Can I delete the contents of the SoftwareDistribution download folder without it harming my...: I really need some storage space. I've watched some videos saying that it is safe, but i'm still unsure. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-the-contents-of-the/52011df0-dc66-4caf-bf74-43ce2e490d41"
  9. Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update - SoftwareDistribution folder location change error: I have been using Windows 10 and I need to install a cumulative update (with standalone installer) to the system. However, as the memory of hard drive is only 32gb, more space is needed and it is not possible for me to free up the drive. Therefore, I changed the...
  10. Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how?

Safe to delete SoftwareDistribution folder(s)? And how?: Hello. Ive had a lot of problems installing the 1803 and 1809 updates, when they try to update they always gets reverted back to previous versions of windows. I think this, coupling with the fact that ive tried to do a lot of fixes to make windows update work, have made my...