Windows 10: SOLUTION:BSOD w/ CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (effect startup/shutdown/sleep)

Discus and support SOLUTION:BSOD w/ CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (effect startup/shutdown/sleep) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi There, Previously a sevenforums member but recently made the transition to Windows 10. This isn't technically a tutorial but it is a bit of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by qwikpix, Feb 10, 2016.

1. qwikpix Win User

SOLUTION:BSOD w/ CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (effect startup/shutdown/sleep)

Hi There,

Previously a sevenforums member but recently made the transition to Windows 10.

This isn't technically a tutorial but it is a bit of information regarding the above issue which may well be of use to people so I thought this might be the most appropriate section to post it.

The summarised TL;DR version is: If you are noticing BSOD with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED and your shutdown, startups and sleep is effected this fix may work for you. This is based on an Intel platform (H170) with IRST drivers installed. You will notice in the IRST program that there is a setting called Link Power Management which is enabled by default. In my case this setting also exists in my motherboards BIOS settings (ASRock H170) under the storage settings as SATA Link Power Management, with the default setting as disabled. Setting this to enabled has solved my issues and may well solve yours. Hope it's of some assistance to someone else.

This is the full version for anyone who is interested:
    It all began after I made some fairly major upgrades to a certain PC which was running Windows 7. Despite a few hiccups with the sysprep process (I put this down to drivers issues for the new hardware) I managed to get everything switched over to the new components with the existing W7 installation. Then after much faffing to try to get the GWX tool to reappraise my system for compatibility I finally had access to the W10 upgrade and a couple of weekends back I took the plunge.

That's when things started to go downhill. The first thing I noticed were a few issues with drivers (bluetooth) and a couple of programs but nothing too problematic but after the first few restarts and shutdowns I started to notice some very odd behaviour. Starting up and shutting down would take several minutes and at shutdown the fans and HDD would spin for a great deal of time afterwards. I also began to notice issues with sleep - with resuming also taking minutes or failing and requiring a forced shutdown with the power button.

With the sysprep and then the upgrade on top I decided to try a clean installation of Windows 10 (and considering I had been on 32-bit I decided to make use of the extra new RAM and step up to a 64-bit version). Something I had done at the sysprep stage was to set the installation under RAID in the BIOS to try to make use of a small SSD I had for Intel SRT (this never worked and still gives an unknown error every time I try to implement it so my BSOD fix unfortunately hasn't solved this issue). Long story short the clean installation had no effect on the startup/shutdown/sleep issues and now I began to see BSOD with CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED when attempting to wake from sleep. The minidumps only pointed to ntdll.sys and ntkrnlmp.exe which just appeared to be standard system files and didn't appear to point to any specific drivers. Nonetheless I had my suspicions that it was something driver related and more specifically to do with the Intel RST drivers or Intel ME drivers.

I did some digging around and noticed a section under power and performance tab in the IRST program called Link Power Management. This reminded me of a section I noticed in my BIOS for SATA devices called Aggressive Link Power Management. I noticed that in IRST this was set to enabled by default whereas the default in the BIOS was disabled. Setting this to enabled in the BIOS has solved the BSODs, startup and shutdown are now mere seconds and resuming from sleep happens in an instant. This is quite an inconspicuous feature but it evidently causes issues telling the hard drives what to do during alternating between different power states. The IRST wants to use Link Power Management and if this isn't enabled in the BIOS (which is the default case for ASRock boards) this causes all kinds of issues whenever the OS changes the power state.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with this 50GB SSD that Intel RST doesn't want to use for SRT!

:)

qwikpix, Feb 10, 2016
  2. auggy Win User

Computer reboots with: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ef

The dmp file showed a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) stop error (BSOD).

The Release Notes for the Intel storage driver lists a resolved issue being a CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (ef) BSOD.

The S3/S4 would be related to sleep if you notice the error tends to occur more going into or out of sleep.

I believe the new driver would be very beneficial but as a general precaution you could create a System Restore Point beforehand.

auggy, Feb 10, 2016
  3. RUFTEC Win User
    Win 10 BSOD every morning...

I have been dealing with a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 that gets the BSOD on initial startup every morning. It only happens on first boot every day and the system logs are indicative of an unplanned shutdown the night before. I am certain that this machine
    is being shutdown correctly from the user standpoint. The error message that comes with the bsod every morning is rarely the same from day to day and I will list a few:
    Critical_Process_Died, System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled(FLTMGR.SYS), Kernel_Security_Check_Failure, "Bad_Pool_Header", "Faulty_Hardware_Corrupted_Page", IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I have scoured system logs for clues, updated drivers, reinstalled Windows, at this point I'm thinking I may have to do a clean install but would like to avoid that if at all possible. Please advise.

RUFTEC, Feb 10, 2016
Thema:

SOLUTION:BSOD w/ CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (effect startup/shutdown/sleep)

1. SOLUTION:BSOD w/ CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (effect startup/shutdown/sleep) - Similar Threads - SOLUTION BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

2. BSOD - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD - CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED: Hello Masters, Please help.. I have a problem with several users at work after installing Sophos anti-virus as follows: Dump File : 112620-10421-01.dmp Crash Time : 26/11/2020 08:42:26 Bug Check String : CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED Bug Check Code :...
  3. CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bsod

CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED bsod: Hi! I've been having bsod for quite some time now and decided to perform a clean Windows 10 install a few days ago as a last resort. Today it happened again.. I tried to get more information use windbg myself but couldn't find anything informative. Please help!...
  4. BSOD about 10-15 minutes from startup (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED)

BSOD about 10-15 minutes from startup (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED): My laptop randomly BSODs about 10-15 minutes from boot with the code "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED". I am running Windows 10 1909 build 18263. It BSODs even in safe mode, and on examining the dump file, it tells me that services.exe crashed due to an Nt!KeBugCheckEx() call. I have...
  5. Critical_Process_Died BSOD issue. Tried all the solutions out there but no luck in...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Critical_Process_Died BSOD issue. Tried all the solutions out there but no luck in...: Critical_Process_Died BSOD issue. Tried all the solutions out there but no luck in resolving the issue Tried almost every method but nothing worked...
  6. BSOD Critical_process_died at startup

BSOD Critical_process_died at startup: For several months now (update 1803?), I've experienced BSODs on a steady basis on my Alienware 17R3 running Windows10. At least 1 a day and up to 5 or 6, mostly during the first minutes after a restart or wake-up. Often even before I sign in. BSOD are of the...
  7. BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot

BSOD CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED w/error 0xc000000e on reboot: The BSOD happens whenever I disconnect a particular external HD from my SATA dock. On reboot, the error 0xc000000e accompanies a blue "Recovery" screen stating "The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors....
  8. BSOD Critical_Process_Died

BSOD Critical_Process_Died: Hello, I have various BSOD Crashes. They occur during normal Browsing. Firstly it was a "Unexpected Store Exception" in the help in another Forum at that time ( 2 weeks ago ) we managed to do a perfect SFC-Scan and a perfect DISM-Scan, which apparantly did not...
  9. Bsod: Critical_process_died

Bsod: Critical_process_died: The BSOD: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED occurred while playing Spider Solitaire, which is by itself not a critical process. A BSOD was previously posted for this system, but while the system was using an SSD drive. I've returned to the original HDD to avoid the SSD-related BSODs....
  10. Critical_process_died at startup

Critical_process_died at startup: Several times since Windows 10 has been updated (see attached file) I have received a "Critical_process_died" notification. Sometimes at startup & at least one time during normal browsing. Have talked with a local computer shop about various problems & he suggested a clean...