Windows 10: Solved: Black Bars on the left and right of Display Screen in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Discus and support Solved: Black Bars on the left and right of Display Screen in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I looked through all the comments available here as of 11 August 2018 and googled these issues also and could not find these simple fixes which I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by gritpype, Aug 11, 2018.

1. gritpype Win User

Solved: Black Bars on the left and right of Display Screen in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

I looked through all the comments available here as of 11 August 2018 and googled these issues also and could not find these simple fixes which I stumbled upon by trial and error:

To get rid of the two black borders on the left and right sides of your Desktop display:

Go to Control Panel - Appearance and Personalisation - Taskbar & Navigation - Background - Choose a Fit - Change 'FIT' to 'STRETCH.'

If you find that your Desktop Icons are still half-visible only at the edges of the screen (left side) and at the task bar (bottom) this can be corrected by Accessing your Monitor's Menu (use the remote or one of the buttons at the side of the monitor) - Choose Picture - change Aspect Ratio from 16:9 to Just Scan (my monitor is an LG 22" HD PC/TV LCD with native resolution of 1980 x 1080 (1080p) and a refresh rate of 60Hz. My Graphics Card is GeForce GTX 650 Ti.

The problem with my Desktop display occurred after exiting my DRM-free disc version of the game "Monochroma" in Steam, after I had been prompted to change to 'Big Picture' mode to facilitate better controller use (This did not have a positive effect on my X-Box 360 controller at all. I do not have a Steam controller which the prompt seemed aimed at when I looked at it again - so I will avoid doing this next time).

Changing the resolution back and forth had no effect on resolving these problems. One suggestion I read here was to rename the WindowsApp folder to Windows App.old. Fortunately, my computer would not let me do this even though, when I checked, I still had Administrator privileges (as I am the sole user of my PC). Going into to safe mode, and updating drivers, and all the other complicated stuff was too off-putting for me to try so my advice is please try the above first. Saying this, it still took me a couple of hours of messing around before I found these solutions (I am not a techie by any means).

:)

gritpype, Aug 11, 2018
  2. damtachoa Win User

4870x2 won't display at 1680x1050 at all!

OK. Now I know what ur problem is. Step by step:
    1. Go to Catalyst Control Center
    2. Click on the word "Graphic" right on top left corner. It will display drop down menu
    3. Click on Display monitor and will see the list of monitor at near bottom
    4. Right Click the monitor and select "Configure". It will show up the window
    5. There will be 3 option to select. Select the middle one and then click on the tab which show the bar with 15%.
    6. Drag the bar to max, and the screen will stretch to the native resolution 1680x1050.
    7. Also click the tab with showing RGB drop down list and select the last one (it will change to image quality for pc).
    That's it. Good Luck.

damtachoa, Aug 11, 2018
  3. MrQueely Win User
    Screen brightness different on left and right sides of display

I just updated my display driver to the latest from Nvidia. Now the left half of the display is darker than the right half.
    I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, but the problem remains.

The driver is Nvidia 355.60 WHQL , and yes my display card in on the list of supported cards. This is the driver for Windows 10 64 bit and my Nvidia GTS 450.

I have never seen this issue before and I don't know if it is Windows 10 or the Nvidia driver causing the problem.

Please help a tired old man!

MrQueely, Aug 11, 2018
  4. Solved: Black Bars on the left and right of Display Screen in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

Black bars around screen.

Hi,

Thank you for choosing Windows 10 Technical Preview.

I understand the inconvenience caused. Let me help you with the issue.

The issue could be, due to outdated graphics card or if the Windows is not up to date.

I suggest you to first check for updates and install them.

• Press Windows key + letter 'R.'
    • Type 'Wuapp' and hit OK.
    • Towards the left pane, choose Check for Updates.
    • Install all the available updates.
    • Restart the computer and check if it helps.
    If the above steps did not fix the issue, I suggest you to uninstall the display drivers and restart the computer to check if the issue is caused by Display drivers.

• Right click on the Windows Start icon.
    • Choose Device Manager.
    • Expand Display adaptors.
    • Right click on the Display driver and select Uninstall.
    • Restart the computer and check.
    Hope the above steps is helpful to you. Please feel free to reply for any further help/queries.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Aug 11, 2018
Thema:

Solved: Black Bars on the left and right of Display Screen in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

1. Solved: Black Bars on the left and right of Display Screen in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) - Similar Threads - Solved Black Bars

2. Black bar on the right side of the screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Black bar on the right side of the screen: I just loaded up my new PC yesterday and I have a 1600 x 900 monitor and I have the setting on 1600 x 900 to fit it yet it's still going off to the side. I've done everything I can think off and it still hasn't worked at all....
  3. Black screen while installation of Window 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Black screen while installation of Window 10 64 bit: Hy So thing is i tried to install my window through usb ! But whenever i select the usb usb tgh boot menu I straight blank scrren occurs and its justt stuck i csn't do anythin about it but to close the laptop and do same thing again! I tried changing the boot mode...
  4. Windows PRO 10 32 bit to 64 Bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows PRO 10 32 bit to 64 Bit: How do I update 32bit Windows 10 Pro on a 64bit system to 64bit OP Sys x 64bit Processor System? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-pro-10-32-bit-to-64-bit/e10c32dc-cebb-4569-b469-8dd000e1935b
  5. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit: I have been using Clonezilla-live for years. It no longer works as both my computers are UEFI. What suggestions do you have that will not cost me a fortune to back up my computers. Thank for any help. 143195
  6. Logitech Mouse Right-Click not working on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Logitech Mouse Right-Click not working on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit: Hello: After a couple of tries and visiting the Community's helpful and answered questions none worked for me. Problem was Logitech's Set-Point Mouse software. Looks Like it does not work with Windows 10 although I had the latest update. I uninstalled from Control Panel...
  7. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Black Screen with Mouse Cursor will not wake, Power on, Settings...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Black Screen with Mouse Cursor will not wake, Power on, Settings...: I have windows 10 Pro that the power settings for display and computer set for Never sleep, Restart evenings, boot okay. Next morning , power on, Black screen with mouse cursor, will not wake with cursor movement or keyboard prompts. Assistance requested....
  8. Intermittent black screen Windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Intermittent black screen Windows 10 64 bit: My Dell XPS computer screen intermittently black out. It seems to happen mostly when I run Windows apps. I have run SFC and DISM and nothing has been found. In Device Manager I have two Display Adaptors - Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 and NVIDIA GeForce GT 75M. I disabled the...
  9. Display shifted to the right so right part of display is on the left of the screen,...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Display shifted to the right so right part of display is on the left of the screen,...: Hello everyone, I know my subject is listing many separate issues but I think they might be connected because they all started one after the other, so listing everything that's been going on might give people a clue as to what's wrong. Last night I turned on my laptop and...
  10. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - sleep and display problems

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - sleep and display problems: After clean installing Windows 10 I came across two irritations. Irritation 1:- When my desktop awakes from sleep, it doesn't see my Seagate External drive but does see my Iomega and WD external drives! If I restart or reboot it sees them all! No exclamation marks in Device...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. right side screen is black in win10 64 bit