Windows 10: [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click

Discus and support [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Recently, an issue arised in which I can't open file folders with double click. The spinning wheel cursor shows up for a split second but nothing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ksio89, Dec 17, 2015.

1. ksio89 Win User

[SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click

Recently, an issue arised in which I can't open file folders with double click. The spinning wheel cursor shows up for a split second but nothing happens. I have to open context menu and choose Open to access the folder. I noticed I can't open folders within Chrome download tab either, by clicking the "Show in Folder" text below the file icon, nothing happens. However, "Open Download folder" on top right of the window works. Drives in This Computer open with double click.

If I I open the context menu of a desktop shortcut and then click Open File Location, nothing happens as well. Any ideas on how to solve this issue? Thanks in advance.

edit: I found the solution in Superuser foruns. Just search for the following registry keys:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\

And change boh "default" values to "explore". Now folders are opening with double click and open file location are working again.

:)

ksio89, Dec 17, 2015

2. Double click on folder - folder not opening !!!

windows version 1803

RobertMcDonald3, Dec 17, 2015
  3. Double click on folder - folder not opening !!!

Open Windows Defender Security Center

Click Virus & threat protection

Click Virus & threat protection settings

Scroll down to Controlled folder access

Toggle it off

Andre Da Costa, Dec 17, 2015
Thema:

[SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click

1. [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click - Similar Threads - SOLVED Folders opening

2. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".: When I open any folders, it opens "this PC". When I try win+r and type "control", it opens "this PC". Clicking folders on the "Navigation pane" works correctly. I tried anti-virus software, but it didn't find anything suspicious. I tried to log in with another local user...
  3. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".: When I open any folders, it opens "this PC". When I try win+r and type "control", it opens "this PC". Clicking folders on the "Navigation pane" works correctly. I tried anti-virus software, but it didn't find anything suspicious. I tried to log in with another local user...
  4. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window: It's an annoying and wired problem that I couldn't solve even with reinstalling the Windows, which when I click on a folder, the folders will be open in a new window sometimes...Note it doesn't happen always!I'm not sure if this happens with an update on Windows 10 or not. I...
  6. Double click is not opening Windows Defender\Scans folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Double click is not opening Windows Defender\Scans folder: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-is-not-opening-windows-defenderscans/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  7. Double click on the Windows Defender\Scans folder is not opening it

Double click on the Windows Defender\Scans folder is not opening it: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-on-the-windows-defenderscans-folder/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  8. Double click on the folder is not opening it

Double click on the folder is not opening it: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-on-the-folder-is-not-opening-it/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  9. Double-clicking opens folders but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking opens folders but not files: When I double-click on a folder, the folder opens. Good. But when I double-click on a file or document for the first time, it doesn't open (i.e., it doesn't launch the application to read that file). Instead, the filename is shaded and there's a box around the filename as if...
  10. Double click folder opens new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Double click folder opens new folder: I have a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro and for some reason when I double click a folder, it opens a new folder. Also the the folders that show in the left side pane, if I click on eg music, it opens a new folder. I have 2 drives and when I open a folder from each and...