Windows 10: [SOLVED]Inexplicable Ethernet Speed Difference Betweeen 2 Devices?

Discus and support [SOLVED]Inexplicable Ethernet Speed Difference Betweeen 2 Devices? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've got a gigabit Ethernet switch with a few different gigabit-capable devices attached, one of which is a 64-bit Win 10 Pro (1511) and the other that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thenin, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Thenin Win User

[SOLVED]Inexplicable Ethernet Speed Difference Betweeen 2 Devices?

I've got a gigabit Ethernet switch with a few different gigabit-capable devices attached, one of which is a 64-bit Win 10 Pro (1511) and the other that matters is an Amazon Fire TV 2. Running a couple of different internet speed tests on the Fire TV consistently shows about 90 Mb/s speeds (never lower than 80), while the Win 10 box shows a max of only 14 Mb/s, and usually less! I used TestMy.Net & speedof.me under Windows.

The two devices are only 4 feet apart. I've not only tried several different Cat 6 Ethernet cables, but I've tried the most relevant test of all: I've connected the very same cable serving the Fire TV to the Win 10 box. But no matter what, I never get more than 14 Mb/s under Windows!!

I've disabled all firewalls and AVs, but this makes no difference. The Windows 10 box is based on an ASUS Z-87A mobo that definitely's using a gigabit Ethernet port.

What could reasonably explain this utterly ludicrous difference and what can I do about it?

:)

Thenin, Mar 31, 2017

2. Additional twitter account for N9?

It would be great is the N9 twitter would get the same possibility to "switch user" betweeen different twitter accounts...does anyone know if the other N9 twitter apps does that (like the iphone)?

minimy---01, Mar 31, 2017
  3. Something is limiting my Internet Speed

I am using an Ethernet cable, and sorry if it's a rookie question, but I don't get the difference between a local network speed and the internet line speed. Can you please explain that to me? So that I can test them?

NiladriDas, Mar 31, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Make sure that you have up to date drivers for the ASUS for network and no issues with that connection with Ethernet. If wireless, you can see issues.

bro67, Mar 31, 2017
  5. Thenin Win User
    Thanks for your reply! I used the device manager to try to update the Ethernet driver, but it stated that the "best driver" was already installed. And there are no reported issues at all.

Here is the Win 10 results of ipconfig /all; it might be helpful...

Code: Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Beta Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : E4-33-47-4A-9B-FF DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.110(Preferred) Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100 DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222 208.67.220.220 NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled Ethernet adapter MyTAP: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : TAP-Windows Adapter V9 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-FF-36-F7-8C-99 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 3: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Tunnel adapter isatap.{291120B0-7654-463F-86E8-0F0A97FA2B65}: Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2 Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0 DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes [/quote]

Thenin, Mar 31, 2017
  6. Check out your settings for your network adapter in your device manager. Open your device manager, expand the network adapters, right click on the Ethernet adapter and click properties. As you have a different ethernet controller than I do (im running an Intel) your settings may look a bit different than mine. You should have an Advanced tab. Open that tab and look for a setting that says something along the lines of Speed & Duplex. See what the setting is at the moment. It should be something like Auto Negotiate. Try setting this value to 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex and see if that makes a difference. If its set as auto, it may not be negotiating as a gigabit capable card.

ArazelEternal, Apr 1, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    Really need netsh wlan show all, not ipconfig.

bro67, Apr 1, 2017
  8. Thenin Win User

I solved the problem last night, when after making the changes I'm about to describe, I got 90-95 Mbps several times in a row, and I'm still getting that now!

I feel pretty damn stupid for not thinking of this much earlier, but I fortuitously noticed the icon on my crowded desktop for TCPOptimizer v4.0, ran it, chose the optimized settings and over-rode a few of them, applied the changes, then rebooted, then ran TestMy.net again, and got 95 Mb/sec!!

Here are the latest TCP Optimizer 4.0 settings I'm now using:

AutoTuningLevelLocal=normal
    ScalingHeuristics=disabled
    CongestionProvider=ctcp
    MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server=20
    MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server=20
    MaxConnectionsPerServer=20
    MaxConnectionsPerServer=20
    LocalPriority=4
    HostsPriority=5
    DnsPriority=6
    NetbtPriority=7
    NonBestEffortLimit=0
    Do not use NLA=1
    NetworkThrottlingIndex=-1
    SystemResponsiveness=10
    Size=3
    LargeSystemCache=1
    MaxUserPort=65534
    TcpTimedWaitDelay=30
    TCPNoDelay=1
    DefaultTTL=64
    EcnCapability=enabled
    Chimney=disabled
    Timestamps=disabled
    EnableDCA=disabled
    MaxSynRetransmissions=4
    NonSackRttResiliency=enabled
    InitialRto(ms)=
    MinRto(ms)=
    [Local Area Connection]
    MTU=1500
    MTU=1500
    TcpAckFrequency=1
    TcpDelAckTicks=-1
    TCPNoDelay=1
    Receive-Side Scaling State=1
    NetAdapterRsc=2
    Large Send Offload=2
    Checksum Offload=-5

Now, I'm no expert on these settings, so if anyone sees any setting that's a poor choice, please let me know, but I'm delighted with the high speeds I'm getting now!

Thanks to all who responded!

Thenin, Apr 1, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    Since Windows 7, the OS automatically adapts to the speeds. Now to say that does not always happen, since every adapter driver is different. Keep a backup of your current state and remember also that everyone's setup is different that some may not need to make the changes that you did.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. [SOLVED]Inexplicable Ethernet Speed Difference Betweeen 2 Devices? - Similar Threads - SOLVED Inexplicable Ethernet

2. USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter stuck in USB 2 speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter stuck in USB 2 speed: I bought this USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter, connected it to a usb 3 port, and as you can see from USB Device Tree Viewer it’s only working in usb 2.0 mode.But, if i use the “restart port” feature it’s then recognised correctly as USB 3, as you can see here.This only happens...
  3. USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter stuck in USB 2 speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter stuck in USB 2 speed: I bought this USB-A 3.0 to ethernet adapter, connected it to a usb 3 port, and as you can see from USB Device Tree Viewer it’s only working in usb 2.0 mode.But, if i use the “restart port” feature it’s then recognised correctly as USB 3, as you can see here.This only happens...
  4. ETHERNET SPEED LIMITED

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ETHERNET SPEED LIMITED: Why is the speed of my ethernet limited to 10 mbps? The speed that I'm getting on my laptop and phone when connected wirelessly is ranging from 90-200mbps depending on the distance from the router.I have already updated the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller Network Driver a...
  5. Is it possible to have 2 different audio sources played on 2 different devices?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to have 2 different audio sources played on 2 different devices?: For example i have a song on youtube playing, firefox, and i want to watch a twitch livestream on chrome with headphones. But at the same time i want the music to be played on my stereo system. Is that possible? If so, how? submitted by /u/Xalova [link] [comments]...
  6. Ethernet Speed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet Speed: PROBLEM: I Updated internet speed from Spectrum to 5 gigs The Driver can only process 1000 mbps/ or 1 GIg but I would like to process 5 Gig. It’s over my head and I need help. Adjustment to settings, new driver, new system board, are some guesses. Thank you in advance...
  7. Emails are different on 2 devices

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Emails are different on 2 devices: My MAIN device still has the old deleted email address on My Acct on my Windows 10 PC. The 2nd device has the updated email address on My Acct on Windows 10 PC. How do I delete the email on the MAIN device and add the new email? When I log into Microsoft acct it only has the...
  8. My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"?

My ethernet adapter is named "Ethernet 2" and there's already a device named "Ethernet"?: Hi! In Control Panel, under Network Connections type Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections into the "address bar" in Control Panel, I have three devices listed. One is my WiFi, one is my Ethernet, and the other is a VPN I use. Only Ethernet matters for...
  9. Ethernet speed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ethernet speed: Have a Dell Inspiron with an Intel Core 13 7th Gen processor running Windows 10. I just wired Cat6 cable from my modem to this computer as I wasn't getting good download speed via WIFI. It appears my ethernet speed is set at a max of 100Mbps, can I up the speed to 300Mbps?...
  10. 2 Different ethernet connections.

2 Different ethernet connections.: My ethernet connection(s) are very flaky, software frequently complaining that it is not connected. I think it is because I have 2 Different ethernet connections, Ethernet and Ethernet2; my "Home" workgroup appears to exist only on the Ethernet2 connection. How can I...