Windows 10: [SOLVED] Uninstalled Cortana, Anyway to just get the search bar back?

Discus and support [SOLVED] Uninstalled Cortana, Anyway to just get the search bar back? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello tenforums, my name is Gunner. I need some help. I uninstalled cortana because I'm cleaning up my computer and Cortana uses alot of ram. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by gunnerrrrr, Mar 29, 2017.

1. [SOLVED] Uninstalled Cortana, Anyway to just get the search bar back?

Hello tenforums, my name is Gunner. I need some help.

I uninstalled cortana because I'm cleaning up my computer and Cortana uses alot of ram. I uninstalled it with software on Winaero. It worked, it's not running in the task manager anymore. However, I didn't know cortana was the search bar too. I thought it was similar to the xbox version with voice commands, which I never use.

I need to:

A: (Preferably) Install just the search bar without fully reinstalling cortana.
    B: Reinstall cortana.

:)

gunnerrrrr, Mar 29, 2017
  2. F r e e Win User

Windows 10 and TV tuner

If you had just WRITEN "MEDIA PLAYER" in the new search bar ("Cortana") it would have shown you that you DO HAVE Media Player (unless you uninstalled it on purpose)!

Anyway, its off topic here.

F r e e, Mar 29, 2017
  3. Windows 10 "Search Bar" is not working!!

From time to time I experience a similar problem where no search bar in Windows (whether start menu or control manager) seems to be receiving any keystroke at all but typing text in other programs like Word does work normally. The cursor in the search bar
    just stays at the beginning, just blinking. In my case terminating the "Cortana" process via Task Manager does the trick. The process gets automatically restarted. I disabled Cortana in the "Cortana and Search Settings" but the processes keep running in the
    background anyway.

flandersen, Mar 29, 2017
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

[SOLVED] Uninstalled Cortana, Anyway to just get the search bar back?

Hello gunnerrrr, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

You could do a system restore using a restore point dated before you uninstalled Cortana to undo it.

System Restore Windows 10 - Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

If you don't have an available restore point, then you could do a repair install of Windows to fix this.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Once you have everything fixed, you could use the method in the tutorial below to only disable Cortana without breaking Search.

Enable or Disable Cortana in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Apps Features Tutorials

Brink, Mar 29, 2017
  5. Heres how to disable Cortana with the ability to re-activate it:

Rename the "C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy" folder with Unlocker.

Unlocker will prompt you to REBOOT. Do so.

Indeed! It completely deactivates Cortana... BUT, you lose your search function. You'll have to download and use IObit Start menu 8, or Classic Shell, to get the basic, Win7 search function back.

If you disabled Cortana Via a third party software option, just go to the folder mentioned above, and see if it has been changed. Look in the folder first to make sure the files weren't removed/renamed.

To re-enable it, just use unlocker to rename it back to what it's supposed to be.

Hope this was helpful!

Here's the link for those:

Classic Shell

Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements

IOBit Start Menu 8

IObit Start Menu 8 for Windows 8 Free download, Bring Windows 8 Start Menu back - IObit

Here is the link to get "Unlocker":

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/unlocker.html

Khzyvfonhes, Mar 30, 2017
  6. What he said! *Ditto*Ditto*Ditto

With the added bonus of not breaking your system!

indianacarnie, Mar 30, 2017
  7. Thanks for the advice. I "refreshed" my pc, not erasing the files, just downloaded apps and reinstalling the OS, but cortana is still not here. It's not running in the task manager or anything.

gunnerrrrr, Mar 30, 2017
  8. Brink
    Brink New Member

Brink, Mar 30, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    Winaero gave a big warning in the article used to uninstall Cortana:

Caution: Uninstalling Cortana breaks the Windows 10 Start Menu and probably Search so don't use this if you use the native menu. You will not be able to get it working back easily. You will not be able to-reinstall it quickly without using the genuine install.wim file. For most users, this means that Cortana will be removed from Windows 10 permanently. Think twice before you will continue.

If you're concerned about the 3-70Mb or so Cortana may use, leave it uninstalled and instead use Classic Shell - better search bar, and a tiny amount of RAM, and a fully functional start menu.Interestingly I noted before I hit Win key + S to launch Cortana (no search bar in the taskbar, Cortana's RAM use was under 5Mb. I'm used to seeing it around 40Mb.

dalchina, Mar 30, 2017
  10. Running "sfc /scannow" restores Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy's folder.

But if you have un-installed it using wim tweaks, you need to use powershell to restore it.

TairikuOkami, Mar 31, 2017
  11. Edwin New Member
    If you uninstalled Cortana the 'WinaeroWay', you're looking at re-installing Windows

Edwin, Mar 31, 2017
  12. Good old days, when I used nlite to optimize, I used to reinstall Windows like 2-3 times a week.
    I have learnt, that disabling is the way to go, removing anything permanently is a way to reinstall.
    I love to cripple Windows, but only the way, it is restorable without too much effort, like sfc scanning.
    Like removing Cortana cripples Start, but sfc scan restores Cortana, so upon restart, it is all like new.

TairikuOkami, Mar 31, 2017
  13. Edwin New Member

The Winaero uninstaller is brutal! The Packages/Dependencies list it dumps is endless!

[SOLVED] Uninstalled Cortana, Anyway to just get the search bar back? [​IMG]

My machine, however, remains functional. If you use 'search-ms:' with proper indexing, it works great!

Edwin, Mar 31, 2017
  14. Edwin New Member
    Furthermore:
    SFC, for me, always returns: "found corruption but unable to repair..."
    and PowerShell always fails.

Edwin, Mar 31, 2017
  15. First off, thank you to everyone helping me out, il be sticking around this forum to give back, very good community. *chuckle

No luck with that, the batch files killed my windows explorer and I had ctrl+alt+delete to restart. Also, I should mention the cortana bar is there, and I am able to change the display on it, but clicking on it simply does nothing. I can press the windows key to open up the menu, but cant type. (which is all I want)

Yea, should have read a little more. Learn from your mistakes huh? Now what exactly do you mean by the "Classic Shell?" I know what it is, but it is already installed or Windows 10 or is it 3rd party software? I found this. The only other way I know of searching (not counting 3rd party software) is with win key + r or searching in file explorer, which don't work to well at all compared to the regular search.

Ran the script.
    Code: Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.[/quote] I searched the log for "cortana" and copied everything into another file, here it is:
    Code: 2017-04-01 01:58:08, Info CSI 000013c5@2017/4/1:06:58:08.455 Primitive installers committed for repair 2017-04-01 01:58:08, Info CSI 000013c6 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [l:57 ml:58]'\??\C:\WINDOWS\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Cortana.Persona' is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-Cortana-Persona-Resources, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} 2017-04-01 02:44:10, Info CSI 000043b0@2017/4/1:07:44:10.722 Primitive installers committed for repair 2017-04-01 02:44:10, Info CSI 000043b1@2017/4/1:07:44:10.734 Primitive installers committed for repair 2017-04-01 02:44:10, Info CSI 000043b2@2017/4/1:07:44:10.751 Primitive installers committed for repair 2017-04-01 02:44:10, Info CSI 000043b3@2017/4/1:07:44:10.762 Primitive installers committed for repair 2017-04-01 02:44:10, Info CSI 000043b4@2017/4/1:07:44:10.773 Primitive installers committed for repair 2017-04-01 02:44:10, Info CSI 000043b5@2017/4/1:07:44:10.793 Primitive installers committed for repair 2017-04-01 02:44:10, Info CSI 000043b6@2017/4/1:07:44:10.804 Primitive installers committed for repair 2017-04-01 02:44:10, Info CSI 000043b7 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [l:57 ml:58]'\??\C:\WINDOWS\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Cortana.Persona' is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-Cortana-Persona-Resources, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} 2017-04-01 02:44:10, Info CSI 000043b8 Error - Overlap: Duplicate ownership for directory \??\C:\WINDOWS\SystemResources\Windows.UI.Cortana.Persona in component Microsoft-Windows-Cortana-Persona-Resources, version 10.0.14393.0, arch Host= amd64 Guest= x86, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}[/quote]

I have hope! *chuckle

gunnerrrrr, Mar 31, 2017
Thema:

1. [SOLVED] Uninstalled Cortana, Anyway to just get the search bar back? - Similar Threads - SOLVED Uninstalled Cortana

2. Game seemingly uninstalled itself. Is there anyway to get it back?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game seemingly uninstalled itself. Is there anyway to get it back?: So today when I tried to open I game I had recently just played, it said that it was installed, but wouldn't open. I looked through my files and found that the entire game had been moved from where I installed it into the WindowsApps folder. The entire game is still here, but...
  3. Game seemingly uninstalled itself. Is there anyway to get it back?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game seemingly uninstalled itself. Is there anyway to get it back?: So today when I tried to open I game I had recently just played, it said that it was installed, but wouldn't open. I looked through my files and found that the entire game had been moved from where I installed it into the WindowsApps folder. The entire game is still here, but...
  4. anyway to get this old search gui back (not my image)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    anyway to get this old search gui back (not my image): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/WindowsXPSince2001 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/q6gf0z/anyway_to_get_this_old_search_gui_back_not_my/
  5. Anyway to get the old Cortana back?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyway to get the old Cortana back?: I just upgraded to version 2004 and got the new Cortana, basally it's sucks and dump and worse than the old one. Playing music was the most important feature to me, the new Cortana doesn't support that sadly :/ Anyway to downgrade Cortana? submitted by /u/Mr_DJA [link]...
  6. How to change search bar back to Cortana

in Cortana
    How to change search bar back to Cortana: Hi, I have a question regarding the search bar. I just restored my computer back from a system image I created a couple weeks ago. When I booted up, the bar next to the start button is just the search bar now. Can I change this back to Cortana's "Ask Me Anything" bar. I...
  7. cortana and search bar

in Cortana
    cortana and search bar: why is my task bar like this . How can i combine cortana and search bar . Please tell me i am ready to change registory too.[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-and-search-bar/41bb3ef4-95f0-46e7-80b0-d84c18b0f469
  8. Windows Search bar and Cortana

in Cortana
    Windows Search bar and Cortana: I have somehow split my Cortana and Windows search into two different things. I think this was a side effect of disabling and re enabling cortana. Can someone please help me streamline both/get rid of Windows search...
  9. Cortana/Search Bar

in Cortana
    Cortana/Search Bar: I turned Off "Hey Cortana" in the Voice in Setting and it goes back to On all by itself. This intelligence is too "artificial. Let's get this fixed, As a Windows Insider I'm deeply disappointed Microsoft has not resolved this issue....
  10. Cortana Search Bar

in Cortana
    Cortana Search Bar: Hi there! I need help figuring out how to be able to use the type here to search section again on my task bar. Since last night I have not been able to. When I click on it to type, it goes straight to highlighting the mic picture in blue and is not allowing me to type at...