Windows 10: Solved - W10 ugrade won't install because it wont go on a USB

Discus and support Solved - W10 ugrade won't install because it wont go on a USB in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I tried to install the W10 anniversary update. It downloads, verifies and all that, but then stops because "it can't be installed on a USB". I don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Toller, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Toller Win User

Solved - W10 ugrade won't install because it wont go on a USB

I tried to install the W10 anniversary update. It downloads, verifies and all that, but then stops because "it can't be installed on a USB". I don't have a USB, external drive, or anything on the computer.
    I called Microsoft. They spent an hour and assured me all would be fine. No change.
    I called them again. They tried another method (with an ISO?) but the results are the same.

My wife's computer and my laptop upgraded without incident and they are much old than my desktop.

What the heck is going on here? Any advice would be appreciated.
    (I am making a disk image before I call again; first two times were harmless, but my luck might not hold.)

:)

Toller, Oct 12, 2016
  2. robertpri Win User

windows 10 upgrade failed with 0x80073B92 - 0x20009 failed in the SAFE OS phase

I have now attempted the W10 upgrade eigtht times over three nights. Biggest gripes: #1-it runs for over an hour and then says fail. Couldn't it have run tests first to see if it would work?

#2-it never tells us how to fix the error or where to go.

In my case, finally found an Intel driver dated 9/2014 that won't install. After the fails above, tried that Intel drive another five times. It won't install so W10 wont install.

I officially give up and will stick to W8.1. Not worth the grief.

robertpri, Oct 12, 2016
  3. marmite Win User
    wmdc missing menu options

Hi - at the moment I don't have Outlook installed. It gave me problems after the 'ugrade' to vista and won't open! It was Outlook 2002 but when I try to open it I get a window which says that it needs outlook express 4.01 or later to run

but this isn't included in vista. I tried the free outlook express download (withIE6) but this wont load as I got IE7 with vista. BTW, I tried unistalling and re-installing Outlook and got the same prompt. Thanks

marmite, Oct 12, 2016
  4. Solved - W10 ugrade won't install because it wont go on a USB

100% fix

Windows 10 is improperly identified as a Windows To Go installation

To resolve this problem, change the PortableOperatingSystem registry by editing the Windows registry.

To change the PortableOperatingSystem registry, follow these steps:

• Open Registry editor (regedit.exe)
    • Locate and then select the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
    • From the right-side pane double-click on PortableOperatingSystem Dword value
    • Change the value data to 0 (The default value is 1)
    • Close the registry editor
    • Restart the computer.

You can also you the command line option to make the change. Run the below command from an elevated command prompt:

reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control /v PortableOperatingSystem /t REG_DWORD /d 0

After a restart your PC will be ready to make the update.

boombastik, Oct 12, 2016
  5. Toller Win User
    Being a skeptic, I chatted Microsoft again and showed them your solution. He said he might try that, but instead messed around for 45 minutes. Finally he tried your solution. He couldn't figure the first one out, but the second one worked fine.

I apologize for doubting you. Thanks.

I wonder what he would have done (bear in mind it was my third call) if you hadn't come with the answer.

Toller, Oct 13, 2016
  6. The fix is from Microsoft themshelves. It is not mine. They have an article about it.
    Ussually this bug triggered when u update from 8 to 8.1 and then to 10 without a clean install.

Please change your theme to solved.
    Thnx

boombastik, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Solved - W10 ugrade won't install because it wont go on a USB

1. Solved - W10 ugrade won't install because it wont go on a USB - Similar Threads - Solved W10 ugrade

2. Installing W10 from USB

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing W10 from USB: HiHP Pavillion 500 desktop, 10 years old and painfully slow.Was running Windows 8.1. I purchased W10 to upgrade. Could not install on HP after downloading, starts and fails every time. So ended up downloading on HP laptop, along with Rufus assistant. Transferred both onto...
  3. Installing W10 from USB

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing W10 from USB: HiHP Pavillion 500 desktop, 10 years old and painfully slow.Was running Windows 8.1. I purchased W10 to upgrade. Could not install on HP after downloading, starts and fails every time. So ended up downloading on HP laptop, along with Rufus assistant. Transferred both onto...
  4. Installing W10 from USB

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. USB Drives wont install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Drives wont install: I have a HP Laptop and I can not get any USB drive to work. USB ports work for Mouse or keyboards. But Drives just beep and fail to configure. They list under Other Devices in Device Manager with error code 28. They don't show up in Disk Management. I've tried multiple USB...
  6. USB Drives wont install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Drives wont install: I have a HP Laptop and I can not get any USB drive to work. USB ports work for Mouse or keyboards. But Drives just beep and fail to configure. They list under Other Devices in Device Manager with error code 28. They don't show up in Disk Management. I've tried multiple USB...
  7. USB Drives wont install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. W10 fails install on PC with 6 HDD's (solved)

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 fails install on PC with 6 HDD's (solved): Hi folks For some reason I kept getting Windows can't install at the "Copy Windows installation files" stage even though HDD (actually SSD) formatted and was assigned correctly. Computer is HP micro proliant Gen 10 Server where there's 4 quick release 4 HDD bays and I fitted...
  9. ugradation of architechture

ugradation of architechture: Hi, I am using a laptop of system type 32-bit operating system, x64-based processor. But now there are many softwares which runs only on 64-bit operating system. So, can I upgrade my laptop to 64-bit operating system? If yes, these please guide me. Thank you....
  10. W10 Won't Install Because of Domain

W10 Won't Install Because of Domain: Hi, Trying to upgrade a friends Windows 8.1 laptop, but the installer won't allow it because computer ''is part of a domain''.......how do I get around this ?..........it is just a home computer.........how do I leave a domain ?........any help...