Windows 10: SOLVED: Windows 10 start-up hanging @ desktop screen load after login

Discus and support SOLVED: Windows 10 start-up hanging @ desktop screen load after login in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to remotely troubleshoot a problem that an elderly family member is having with her laptop. After going through airport security on her... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by cytherian, Apr 1, 2018.

1. cytherian Win User

SOLVED: Windows 10 start-up hanging @ desktop screen load after login

I'm trying to remotely troubleshoot a problem that an elderly family member is having with her laptop. After going through airport security on her current trip and the usual x-ray screening, she flew to her destination without incident. But when she arrived at her destination and went to start up her computer, she gets this after logging in:

SOLVED: Windows 10 start-up hanging @ desktop screen load after login [​IMG]

I've never seen this before. A green progress bar at the bottom of the screen. But it's stuck. It doesn't seem to make any movement and there's no intensive hard drive access, as far as she can tell.

I had her press F8 repeatedly upon cold booting and got her to successfully put the computer into safe mode. That was fine. But when I attempted to have her connect to WiFi (Settings-->Network&Internet-->WiFi), she got a Visual C++ level crash. She tried this twice, with the same problem. So I figured OK, time to have her run the start-up repair. The laptop went through that, but when it finished and rebooted, she was presented with the same screen above once again.

Her system: It's a 5 year old HP Pavillion 17" laptop. Don't know the precise model number. She has been running Windows 10 just fine and it has been getting the latest updates.

I'm wondering if I'll need to walk her through an SFC clean-up, or something else to fix this problem. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I discovered that HP has it's own recovery control program that you can access when selecting "recovery" from the initial boot-up menu accessed from "ESC" at cold boot. I'll see if I can have her run that and then roll back to an earlier restore point. I don't know if that covers all system files... I'm hoping it does!

:)

cytherian, Apr 1, 2018
  2. TameikaXX Win User

Windows 10 hangs in boot up

Hello I have a HP Envy Laptop and I have noticed an issue when the laptop boots up.

My laptop will load the Pre-Login screen, then will hang for ages, then it will flash the login screen, then will hang some more and then finally will load into the main desktop.

Any ideas on how to solve this and to stop my laptop taking (literally) five minutes to load.

Cheers

TameikaXX, Apr 1, 2018
  3. TameikaXX Win User
    Windows 10 hangs in boot up

Ok so I have restarted in Safe Mode. The start up was so much faster!!! I couldn't believe it.

But now as mentioned above, when I boot up the laptop it now goes to the pre-login in screen, hangs for ages (longer than before) then I get the white icon that looks like the old Messenger icon, then it hangs, then the login screen pops up, hangs, then
    finally loads into the desktop.

Please help me!!

TameikaXX, Apr 1, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Can you get to a cmd prompt then try system restore from there and also check disk?

Samuria, Apr 2, 2018
  5. cytherian Win User
    I will be working with her again this evening and my thought is to have her try a system restore. She would be able to access it by clicking "ESC" during initial bootup, then select the Recover option. That will bring up an HP shell that provides access to the Windows system restore (this way she doesn't have to resort to using the command prompt).

She has traveled with her laptop before and never had problems. I wonder if there was some issue with how the laptop was handled in transit. She claims that she did a complete shutdown, instead of leaving it in standby.

cytherian, Apr 2, 2018
  6. mrgeek Win User
    "I discovered that HP has it's own recovery control program that you can access when selecting "recovery"

I have have a 17" Pavilion that's 4 yrs old. If she is up to date, the recovery drive that came with the computer has long been disabled in Creators. Being able to get to safe mode is a good sign though.
    I have never seen the progress bar at the bottom of the Lock screen either but I have it disabled so, upon startup, it goes straight to log-in screen (don't need to know date/time). Assuming Alt/Ctrl/Del did not get you to sign-in screen-
    I would try a hard reset first. Have her hold down the power button until everything completely turns off. Take out power cord and battery, press power on for 2 sec, then off a few times (discharging memory). Wait 30 sec, plug power cord back in (no battery yet). Try to start up.
    If still stuck, press power off, as SOON as the HP logo lights up. Repeat two more times and then blue Windows Recovery options will open.
    I would try the easy out first - System Restore, presuming there is a decent point. Choose Troubleshoot/Advanced options/System Restore. If that fails, repeat and do a 'Refresh your PC' from Troubleshoot screen (reinstall w/o losing files). Good Luck

mrgeek, Apr 2, 2018
  7. cytherian Win User
    Thanks for your reply, Mr. Geek. I had her attempt a system restore, but it failed due to disk errors. I then had her run the CMOS level tests on the HDD and it passed. Next is to have her run chkdsk. Unfortunately, Windows has made it quite cumbersome to accomplish this task for some systems. With hers, in the Advanced Settings, there was no "Startup Settings" option. I had to have her go to command prompt and enter the "bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network" command. After that, upon reboot, the system began to start with the usual looping circle of dots... but after 1 full hour it didn't make any progress. So we shut it down. I'm going to attempt having her restart again today.

By the way, as a side problem, her video driver appears to be whacked. The visual effect she is seeing is the display is grainy/fuzzy, almost like a mesh of absent pixels. So everything is somewhat diffused. It's worse with command prompt, as she's basically seeing white lettering overlaying a light green background... instead of black. Which puzzles the heck out of me. I'll have to see about putting her into the CMOS screens and see if everything is clear. My guess is that if it isn't, that there's some kind of hardware problem versus video driver.

The grainy "screen door" effect is visible in the original photo. I've magnified it a bit so you can see it more clearly:

cytherian, Apr 2, 2018
  8. cytherian Win User

OK, a little more of the mystery unfolds...

When I spoke to her again, I asked a few more questions. And I learned that when she was heading to her rental car from the main terminal, the luggage piece containing her laptop fell off the cart. Maybe up from 3' high, onto hard pavement. Now, I've dropped my laptop bag from that height and not had problems. BUT... my laptop is always in a padded case. She'd taken her laptop along without a case, and tucked in her luggage. It sounds like it was vertically inserted and the bottom edge was resting on the luggage bottom. The casing doesn't show any damage, but it could have suffered a shock.

She said the "screen door" effect happens right at the start... when she first turns on the laptop. That doesn't bode well, as far as I'm concerned... because at that point, it's the BIOS part of the boot where the most basic low resolution driver is in effect. If that was fine and the "screen door" effect appears once resolution shifts in the Windows Login phase, then it could be easily declared that the driver is corrupted.

Anyway, the good thing is that the low level HDD test passed, which means it's likely there's no physical damage to the hard drive. So I'm hoping all that's going on is a bad sector or two that can be resolved with running chkdsk. And then she'd be able to roll back to an earlier restore point and boot up normally.

cytherian, Apr 2, 2018
  9. mrgeek Win User
    If you can get into safe mode OK, I don't think there's a hardware issue. You could try subbing the basic display driver to see if that resolves the display problem. In Device Manager, expand Display adapters/r-click the driver/'Update driver/'Browse my computer***/Let me pick***. At bottom of list, select MS Basic Display Adapter. This may resolve until next WU searches for better one.
    If System Restore failed, you might just do the Refresh option, retain files & apps rather than trying to debug. Though this may be better waiting for her to come home, if she's nearby. Fingers crossed for you two.

mrgeek, Apr 2, 2018
  10. cytherian Win User
    Thanks, Mr. Geek.
    She was able to finally start-up her computer. It was in a very strange "basic" kind of mode. A tips bar to the left side of the screen and the very first thing it prompted for was to connect to the Internet. I had her message me a screenshot... just to be sure it wasn't some kind of strange malware. Looks like some kind of initial Windows setup screen. Anyway, I was able to get her to navigate to the Restore System page and select an earlier restore point. So it's chugging away on that right now. I'm hopeful when she restarts, she'll at least have her system back to mostly normal.

The next thing will be to have her update the video driver. Maybe that will correct the display issue... but if not, she'll have to get a new laptop (old enough that service costs would exceed laptop value, probably enough for the price of a new one). But the hope is that for the time being, she'll be able to use the laptop to accomplish the basics, like making on-line purchases and doing her bill paying/banking.

cytherian, Apr 2, 2018
  11. mrgeek Win User
    Sounds like progress. I just did a System Restore this past week that failed from within Windows but the very same one ran fine from the Troubleshoot menu, as below, in case that's not how the restore was selected.

Before this screen is a last resort 'Refresh' option I would try before giving up and doing a clean install or buying a new one. Keep us updated on your progress.

mrgeek, Apr 2, 2018
  12. cytherian Win User
    ^ Ah... well, the restore did fail. And that was doing it from within Windows. So, I'm going to have her try it again and this time doing it from the Windows Recovery screen as you suggest. Must be some file that's in use when the desktop mode is active.

The next fallback would be the "Reset PC". I saw this other option, where I think it restores the system back to original Windows 10 prior to all the updates, but leaves (supposedly) all user files intact. Probably not browser shortcuts, so I'll have to have her back those up separately.

cytherian, Apr 2, 2018
  13. mrgeek Win User

""Reset PC". I saw this other option, where I think it restores the system back to original Windows 10 prior to all the updates, but leaves (supposedly) all user files intact. Probably not browser shortcuts"

Again, I would run the option from the blue screen vs signed in to Windows and make sure the option to 'Keep files' is present. A true re-install before all Updates would be an In-place Upgrade/Repair which would take you to Day 1 of the version currently installed, say 1709, an even cleaner option but requires working internet. In any of these cases, the Keep files option would not affect browser bookmarks, if that's what worries you, only the OS files are affected and System Restore will be turned off so needs to be re-enabled afterward, if satisfactory.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

mrgeek, Apr 2, 2018
  14. cytherian Win User
    Yeah, the pain of it all will be her supplementary & 3rd party programs installed. She has an older version of Microsoft Office and Adobe Photoshop. Not even sure where she has all the original disks. She has had this laptop for over 5 years, bought brand new back then.

Thanks for the tip on the in-place upgrade. I hadn't thought of that. I'm thinking it might be a better option than "Reset PC", as I'd rather have her not have to go through major software updates twice. This way the Media Creation Tool creates the ISO with the latest build.

cytherian, Apr 2, 2018
  15. mrgeek Win User
    Yes, the In-place Repair would take subsequent WU's out of the equation. The ISO can be run right from the desktop by mounting and running setup.exe (my preferred method), IF you can sign-in and get to it. Otherwise, you have to use the MCT to make a usb and change boot options.

mrgeek, Apr 2, 2018
Thema:

1. SOLVED: Windows 10 start-up hanging @ desktop screen load after login - Similar Threads - SOLVED start hanging

2. Windows 10 on PC start up hangs on Blue Screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 on PC start up hangs on Blue Screen: Every time I start Windows 10 it just opens in the blue screen and goes no further only solution is to switch PC off and retart which starts normally. What can I do to resolve the problem...
  3. Starting up Windows 10; No login screen

Starting up Windows 10; No login screen: I've just installed Windows 10 on my desktop. My husband's desktop which is not within range of the Wifi he doesn't use the internet came with Windows 10 so no upgrades since 2 years or so ago. I also had W10 at work but I retired over a year ago. So it is strange to me to...
  4. Hangs at login screen!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hangs at login screen!: I have more than 30 computers on various sites that are stuck at the login screen. this happened after the last batch of updates. There is no way to recover them without a full reinstallation. roll backs, uninstalling updates, system recovery all fail any help would be...
  5. Windows 10 hangs after login

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 hangs after login: On firend's 3-y old laptop happened today something I saw for the first time: There is set autologin and after boot and this autologin desktop shows as usual and I have only few seconds to do something - open menu or settings, get titles of icons in tray but then it stops...
  6. Pc does not start, hangs in the loading screen?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Pc does not start, hangs in the loading screen?: Hello, my PC won't start anymore, it hangs permanently only in this screen and the circle is turning quite laggy, so jerks. My keyboard and mouse are not lit and do not work. What can I do? Changed my mainboard and CPU today, but it can't be because I have turned it...
  7. Hangs on start up

Hangs on start up: Windows 10 freezes or hangs on the motherboard screen where you can choose boot options etc... and does not respond to keystrokes. I have to manually restart to progress to the spinning circles and then the computer boots normally. Its been going on for months and is only a...
  8. Windows 10 taskbar and desktop icons not loads after start up.

Windows 10 taskbar and desktop icons not loads after start up.: Hello, I have a Sony Vaio PC running with Windows 10 OS. I am unable to use or do anything on my PC at the moment. After start up, non of the desktop or taskbar icons loads up on the screen. I have tried almost everything but nothing seems to be working. I am unable to...
  9. Windows 10 desktop hangs after login

Windows 10 desktop hangs after login: Hi, Everytime i log in to Windows 10, it is not possible to do anything. The taskbar loads up but i can't click on it, it only shows the spinning circle. The desktop icons don't show up and ctrl alt del work's but if i press on task manager it won't load up. Suddenly after a...
  10. Windows 10 hanging, showing black screen after login on Start-up

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 hanging, showing black screen after login on Start-up: Hi, Please can anyone help, not long purchased a new HP laptop with Windows 10 Home Edition pre-installed. Going well until recently has started to hang, on the e-mail log-in and password page - got another Outlook user to try too; basically the same. I, get the black...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 hangs on welcome screen start menu failes to load