Windows 10: Some apps dimmed on start menu

Discus and support Some apps dimmed on start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've just noticed that some of the tiles on the start menu are dimmed and the corresponding names in the list have a gray bar underneath them. What... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Peter Hull, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Some apps dimmed on start menu

I've just noticed that some of the tiles on the start menu are dimmed and the corresponding names in the list have a gray bar underneath them. What does this mean? The apps themselves seem to work correctly. See picture. Calendar, mail and calculator are affected.

Some apps dimmed on start menu 292ecaf4-1fb4-43b9-a1d5-feb7c5548d32?upload=true.jpg

:)

Peter Hull, Aug 21, 2018

2. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Aug 21, 2018
  3. Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Aug 21, 2018
  4. Some apps dimmed on start menu

START MENU,CORTANA,EDGE BROWSER AND IN-BUILT APPS NOT WORKING

Hi Aditya,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to follow below steps and check.

Step 1: I suggest you to install all the latest pending Windows updates as below and check if it helps.

• Go to “settings” and click on “update and security”.
    • Under tab “Windows update”, click on the icon “check for updates”.
    • Then once you find the pending updates install it and check.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the app troubleshooter from the below article and check if it helps.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Method 2: You may follow the steps from the below article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Aug 21, 2018
Thema:

Some apps dimmed on start menu

1. Some apps dimmed on start menu - Similar Threads - apps dimmed start

2. Apps are dimmed in my start menu

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Apps are dimmed in my start menu: Today I want to use application that I have in my start menu. Knowing that some of them are not useful it is dimmed and you cant click it at all. Tried to right click maybe I can run it as administrator but not. This application came from MS Store and I dont want to re...
  3. Apps are dimmed in my start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps are dimmed in my start menu: Today I want to use application that I have in my start menu. Knowing that some of them are not useful it is dimmed and you cant click it at all. Tried to right click maybe I can run it as administrator but not. This application came from MS Store and I dont want to re...
  4. Apps are dimmed in my start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Start Menu Windows 11 - WHY have some items dimmed???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu Windows 11 - WHY have some items dimmed???: Been "pinning" some items mostly Edge sites to Start Menu. The pinning works like Windows 10 though the Start Menu in general in 10 WAS FAR SUPERIOR!!anyway, this morning several of the items are now dimmed. they still work fine. WHAT HAPPENED???...
  6. Start Menu Windows 11 - WHY have some items dimmed???

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu Windows 11 - WHY have some items dimmed???: Been "pinning" some items mostly Edge sites to Start Menu. The pinning works like Windows 10 though the Start Menu in general in 10 WAS FAR SUPERIOR!!anyway, this morning several of the items are now dimmed. they still work fine. WHAT HAPPENED???...
  7. start menu apps disappeared and some apps don't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    start menu apps disappeared and some apps don't work: Hello, my system consist of three drives: - C: 128 GB SSD which is where windows installed - D and E: both sum is 3 TB and I keep all files and installations on them. my windows started to crash randomly and the C drive was getting low on spacelike 15 GB remaining. so I...
  8. Icons for some apps not showing on start menu [Image]

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons for some apps not showing on start menu [Image]: Hi some of the app icons that I have are not showing up on the start menu when I search for them. Please see attached image. This is not happening for all apps but a couple of them: Spotify, Skype, Microsoft Edge. The app appears on the taskbar, but its not showing up on the...
  9. Fixing the background color on some apps in the start menu

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Fixing the background color on some apps in the start menu: Any idea how I can change the background color of the FireFox and Origin icons in my start menu? I tried fiddling with Themes and deleting + re-adding the icons but it stays the same. https://imgur.com/a/HOElR6R submitted by /u/spunc1 [link] [comments]...
  10. All apps in Start menu missing some links/app

in Windows 10 Customization
    All apps in Start menu missing some links/app: To start some apps I put my personal links in a folder created in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". For example as administrator in DOS box md "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps" copy *.lnk...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why are some icons dimmed on Windows Phone

2. some apps dark some apps white start menu