Windows 10: Some apps dimmed on start menu

Discus and support Some apps dimmed on start menu in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've just noticed that some of the tiles on the start menu are dimmed and the corresponding names in the list have a gray bar underneath them. What... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Peter Hull, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Some apps dimmed on start menu

I've just noticed that some of the tiles on the start menu are dimmed and the corresponding names in the list have a gray bar underneath them. What does this mean? The apps themselves seem to work correctly. See picture. Calendar, mail and calculator are affected.

Some apps dimmed on start menu 292ecaf4-1fb4-43b9-a1d5-feb7c5548d32?upload=true.jpg

:)

Peter Hull, Aug 21, 2018

2. Windows 10 Start menu is empty

Hi. Steps 1 and 2 didn't do much but step 3 has restored what looks like the list of original Microsoft apps but no sign of any of the many apps I have installed. And there are no tiles in the start menu. Any suggestions please?

LesGrant42, Aug 21, 2018
  3. Add or Remove Items for All Apps in Start menu in Windows 10  

Hi, @Brink:

My caffeine titer is low, so I must be missing some blatant, basic step to add a shortcut to my account's All Apps list in the Start menu (Option1).
    The new process both for creating shortcuts and for adding/removing items to the Win10 start menu has me flummoxed.
    Your tutorials are always "topnotch", so this must be a cockpit error on my part.

>I would like to follow the suggestion on page 1 of the wushowhide.diagcab tutorial to add a shortcut in All Apps for my account.

I have d/l the wushowhide.diagcab and saved it to my downloads folder.
    I have done Step 1 on Page 1 of THIS tutorial to navigate to the Start Menu Programs folder.
    But HOW do I actually complete Step 3 to create a shortcut and then add it to the Start Menu "All Apps"??

I think I need to first somehow create a shortcut for the .cab file and then add it to All Apps in the start menu???

Please advise.

Thanks!
    MM

P.S. I have been postponing the probably inevitable installation of Class Shell.
    I would rather not have to install a 3rd-party program to be able to perform basic Windows tasks.
    But this new workflow in Win10 for a basic functionality might force me to do it.
    Sigh.

MoxieMomma, Aug 21, 2018
  4. Some apps dimmed on start menu

START MENU,CORTANA,EDGE BROWSER AND IN-BUILT APPS NOT WORKING

Hi Aditya,

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to follow below steps and check.

Step 1: I suggest you to install all the latest pending Windows updates as below and check if it helps.

• Go to “settings” and click on “update and security”.
    • Under tab “Windows update”, click on the icon “check for updates”.
    • Then once you find the pending updates install it and check.

Step 2: I suggest you to run the app troubleshooter from the below article and check if it helps.

Run the troubleshooter for Windows apps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Method 2: You may follow the steps from the below article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Aug 21, 2018
Thema:

Some apps dimmed on start menu

1. Some apps dimmed on start menu - Similar Threads - apps dimmed start

2. Start Menu Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu Apps: I am having problems with Start Menu apps. The display of some apps have this arrow down sign. It says it's maybe updating or installing it ain't. Please help me on how to fix this. Thank you...
  3. OneNote App is auto dimming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneNote App is auto dimming: I have a Lenovo Yoga 720 running Windows 10 1803 and OneNote for Windows 10 (UWP) Version 16001.11727.20076.0 Whenever I maximize OneNote (or make it full screen) the laptop screen dims to 50%. This only happens when I am charging. It does not dim external screens, only the...
  4. Rogue Start Menu App

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Rogue Start Menu App: I've recently noticed a start menu app entitled 'ms-resource:AppName/Text.' If you left click, nothing happens. If you right click, then click more, a setting app comes up. That will take you to apps and features section in the settings. I've tried to delete the app to no...
  5. Windows 10 start menu and some system apps are not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 start menu and some system apps are not opening: I am using a pc along with windows 10 latest built.. suddenly start menu and some system apps are not opening. It's loading for half a second then back to previous position. I have tried some solutions but not fixed....
  6. All apps in Start menu missing some links/app

All apps in Start menu missing some links/app: To start some apps I put my personal links in a folder created in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". For example as administrator in DOS box md "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps" copy *.lnk...
  7. Why is it that some apps cannot have a big start menu tile?

Why is it that some apps cannot have a big start menu tile?: Why is it that some programs (like Edge, which I don't use), can have a bigger tile, on the start menu, and others (like Firefox, which I use) don't? thnx 24887
  8. Cannot click on icons in start menu, or some windows apps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot click on icons in start menu, or some windows apps: I've been looking around for a solution for about an hour now - all I can find are problems relating to the mouse not working at all, or the start menu not opening at all. My issue is that my mouse works in every way except inside the start menu. I've also noticed that I...
  9. All Apps in Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    All Apps in Start Menu: Hi. My computer received what appears to be a large Windows 10 update (many of my settings seemed to have defaulted back). One setting that puzzles me is that when I launch the Start Menu, the "All Apps" menu is expanded instead of the one I had (see the picture below). I...
  10. "Open with" context menu not enabled or dimmed

in Windows 10 Support
    "Open with" context menu not enabled or dimmed: I can not access the "open with" menu..it's dimmed or not enabled in all the files.. even though i can open the files with any application if i tried the menu at the top in the ribbon i have tried removing it from the registry and add it back again but that didn't fix it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why are some icons dimmed on Windows Phone

2. some apps dark some apps white start menu