Windows 10: Some basic questions

Discus and support Some basic questions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; At the moment I am using Win 7 (Dell OEM) and still considering Win 10. However, there are a few basic questions that I would be grateful for answers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Agrippa, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Agrippa Win User

Some basic questions

At the moment I am using Win 7 (Dell OEM) and still considering Win 10. However, there are a few basic questions that I would be grateful for answers to.

1) I have Windows updates set to 'ask before downloading'. The impression I get from the media and internet is that MS are pushing users to upgrade with all their might. However, I haven't had anything at all from MS. Is this just me? If I actually decided to download Win 10 I am presumably going to have to call MS - have you got a suitable link?

2) As noted above my Win 7 OS is the pre-installed Dell OEM version. Am I entitled to the free upgrade?

3) I understand that the free upgrade will end about July this year. Is it possible to download the upgrade now but only install it after the end of the free period?

4) Is there a site where I can check whether my current system - hardware and software - is compatible with Win 10?

5) I take it that the upgrade will not carry over any of my installed programs.

:)

Agrippa, Feb 6, 2016

2. Some basic questions, thanks!

1. How do i remove ' emoze ' from my phone?

2. On control panel,there is green light on right land conrner, how do i get rid of that? When I enter control panel, then there is another green thing on app manager, when I press that the ' emoze ' comes up undere instaliation, then when I cant press '
    options ' then ' remove ' . It freezes.

BTW i'm using nokia E52

DarkNight411, Feb 6, 2016
  3. Some Basic N900 questions

the batteries take approx 1:45 to charge while off, and about about 2:15 if on and not really using it.

(i use about 3-4 batteries/day, so i have a bit of experience Some basic questions ;) )

so long as your little led goes green, doesnt matter. this used to make a bigger difference with the ni-cd and ni-mh batteries, but not the batteries today.

the calibration is not really necessary, but doesnt hurt anything to do so.

ceroberts75, Feb 6, 2016
  4. Also this
    Windows 10 Tutorials

hTconeM9user, Feb 6, 2016
  5. Berton Win User
    1. Look at your keyboard and the Windows key, if you have been 'pushed' anything you will have a similar-looking icon on the Notification Area.

2. I've done several Dell Notebooks running either Win7 w/SP1 or Win8.1 without problems.

3. That is one choice I've seen, download and Upgrade or download and Upgrade later.

4. Go to Support | Dell Deutschland and put in your Service Tag [label on the computer case], it may say whether Dell has tested for Win10. Again, I've done some older Dells that weren't listed but since Dell used a lot of Intel motherboards I didn't have many problems, just had to download a few drivers but mostly LAN/Network so as to get connected and Update other drivers.

5. Most programs transferred just fine, a few wouldn't work with Win10 but as with any Upgrade there will be some that won't work.

Berton, Feb 6, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    I'm afraid above answers are not entirely accurate in all cases.

1. OP can just download iso from MS to upgrade. Windows 10

2. OP can upgrade for sure

3. OP has to download and upgrade by July 28th to get it free . However, OP could revert to old OS and reinstall Windows 10 at a later date free of charge. Downloading now and upgrading for first time after deadline will not be free.

4. Many have upgraded (allegedly) unsuitable systems (myself included) and had no problems. So, best option is to make an image backup of current install, upgrade, and then if the upgrade gives issues, you can easily revert back to current version.

5. In general, most programs work fine, but MS do remove some considered to have potential to cause issues.

cereberus, Feb 6, 2016
  7. Agrippa Win User

Some basic questions

Thanks for the replies.

Firstly, it's now clear to me that my cunning plan to download now and upgrade at my leisure would be a complete failure. So, I need to bite the bullet and make a decision by the end of July. I have reinstalled a system image before so I'll bear in mind the possibility of making a fresh one before any upgrade.

I'm still a little unclear about transfer of existing programs. Let me give two specific examples.

I use Audacity a lot and I did have problems in getting Windows to interact with it. If I upgrade to Win 10 will I find that I still have a working copy of Audacity as opposed to having to reinstall it and get all the tweaks right again.

I have the Windows XP mode that came with Win 7 Professional and in it I have a number of programs that need XP. If I upgrade will I still have a working XP mode with the programs in it still working? If I could do this I would be extremely impressed.

Agrippa, Feb 7, 2016
  8. caperjack Win User
    nope to winxp mode ,not in win10 ,,time to move on ,or stay with win7 .but in my opinion you could upgrade to win10 ,activate it ,then do a clean install of win10,skip the part when it ask for a key for win10 ,it will activate on its own once installed ,starting over loosing everything win7, it will run nicer ,my opinion ,, then you could create a partition on the harddrive and reinstall your win7 ,and xp mode,, some will say it wont work but I think it will ,you might just have to call Microsoft to activate win7 ,telling them its only on one computer ,,,

caperjack, Feb 7, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    About Windows XP mode from Microsoft:
    xp mode for Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Other programs such as your Audacity can still be reinstalled but in the process of reserving Win10 I've gotten a list of what didn't work, one being CCleaner. Not a problem getting the most current version. There's always a program or more that don't work when upgrading, especially when one skips a version or two of the OS.

Berton, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Some basic questions

1. Some basic questions - Similar Threads - basic questions

2. Is this forum a joke, no questions are answer. Even the basic ones.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this forum a joke, no questions are answer. Even the basic ones.: Hi, am looking for answers to how to use user accounts.Every question is answer by saying yes you can do that but i don't know how. This is a joke. Is this Microsofts answer to help or am i in the wrong place....
  3. Is this forum a joke, no questions are answer. Even the basic ones.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this forum a joke, no questions are answer. Even the basic ones.: Hi, am looking for answers to how to use user accounts.Every question is answer by saying yes you can do that but i don't know how. This is a joke. Is this Microsofts answer to help or am i in the wrong place....
  4. Not sure whether to remove OneDrive or somehow isolate it. Basic questions about OD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not sure whether to remove OneDrive or somehow isolate it. Basic questions about OD.: Recently had a hard crash of my laptop, so bought a new one. It came with OneDrive installed and active. I'm not sure if I want OD at all have backup software, and this is the only device I use to access my data, but haven't yet been able to figure out whether to remove the...
  5. Not sure whether to remove OneDrive or somehow isolate it. Basic questions about OD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not sure whether to remove OneDrive or somehow isolate it. Basic questions about OD.: Recently had a hard crash of my laptop, so bought a new one. It came with OneDrive installed and active. I'm not sure if I want OD at all have backup software, and this is the only device I use to access my data, but haven't yet been able to figure out whether to remove the...
  6. Not sure whether to remove OneDrive or somehow isolate it. Basic questions about OD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Basic Font question?

in Windows 10 Support
    Basic Font question?: Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1110 Never had the need to do this before, but how do you install new fonts into the Font folder? I go to the Font folder in C/Windows/Fonts, but I can find no way to install the new fonts I have? They are ttf type. I tried drag and drop, doesn't...
  8. MS MAIL Basic Questions, Please (COPY and PASTE Questions)

in Browsers and Email
    MS MAIL Basic Questions, Please (COPY and PASTE Questions): Hi folks. Thanks for previous help. Using W10 Trying to learn how to use MS Mail. Sure is a 'convoluted" program. a. I would like to select a line or two in an eMail I received, and paste it to another document, or save it on the desktop perhaps. I don't want to use the...
  9. Basic question - how the heck can I send meeting invitations to people using the Win10...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Basic question - how the heck can I send meeting invitations to people using the Win10...: As far as I can tell, the calendar "app" that comes with Win10 is worthless, in that while I can enter appointments, I cannot SEND INVITATIONS to others for that event. Can you all please confirm this basic feature is lacking? If it is there, please tell me in basic...
  10. BitLocker Basic Questions (Version 1909)

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker Basic Questions (Version 1909): I was wondering if BitLocker has been activated on the C drive and on the D drive (which is my data drive) is there any security reason for having an additional Windows operating system password? i.e. (1) For BitLocker boot entry (C drive) (2) For Windows operating system...