Windows 10: Some drives showing as removable

Discus and support Some drives showing as removable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Yesterday I went from Windows 7 to windows 10 with a clean install. My system based on an ASUS P9x79Pro motherboard has 4 internal disk drives.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Camera, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Camera Win User

Some drives showing as removable

Yesterday I went from Windows 7 to windows 10 with a clean install.

My system based on an ASUS P9x79Pro motherboard has 4 internal disk drives.

The first two, a 500GB SSD for the system and a 2TB spinning disk, are connected to Intel SATA 6G ports and are fine.

I also have two further 2TB data drives attached to the Marvell SATA 6G ports. It is these that are looking unusual.
    After installing windows I installed the Marvell driver from the ASUS website for windows 10. However Device manager does not show Marvell under Storage controllers

Both data drives connected to the Marvel controller appear under eject media as removable drives along with something called "Eject Marvell 91xx config"
    One of the data drives (but not the other) appears in File Explorer as a removable drive.

The data drives are working but the appearance in eject media and in File Explorer is a bit irritating. Any ideas?

Thanks - Dave

:)

Camera, Nov 20, 2015

2. My hard drives are showing up as removable.

Sorry Mike! Some times I don't get it right the first time. Glad you got your issue solved!

Glad you know how to use search. Some of our members don't!

garybear

Thanks for your reply!

garybear89, Nov 20, 2015
  3. garybear89, Nov 20, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Have a look in Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, it may appear there. It could also have a generic driver, rather than Marvel's and hence it doesn't work properly. Extract the official Marvel drivers in a folder. If it is an executable file, open it with WinRAR to extract the contents. Then right-click on the controller in Device Manager and select Update Driver. Do not allow Windows to search for a driver! Instead click the last option, then the last option and you should see a Have disk button. Click this and browse to the folder where you extracted the Marvel driver. Select the first model on the list and proceed to install it. Windows may warn you it cannot verify compatibility, just ignore it and continue. Restart your computer and your drives should now be detected properly.

spapakons, Nov 20, 2015
  5. Camera Win User
    Thanks for response. I found the Marvell device - it was listed under "System Devices" rather than storage controller or IDE ATA/ATAPI
    The Marvell driver version that I downloaded from the ASUS website 1.2.0.1047 is shown against that controller.

Dave

Camera, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Some drives showing as removable - Similar Threads - drives showing removable

2. HDD light always on and some drives are not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD light always on and some drives are not showing: Hello.I have recently update to Windows 10 from Windows 7. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-hard-drive-light-permanently-on-no-hard/19ded7e8-5ef5-418b-b468-e918341999d4 My problem is quite similar to the linked post above. Pretty much all the...
  3. HDD light always on and some drives are not showing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD light always on and some drives are not showing: Hello.I have recently update to Windows 10 from Windows 7. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-hard-drive-light-permanently-on-no-hard/19ded7e8-5ef5-418b-b468-e918341999d4 My problem is quite similar to the linked post above. Pretty much all the...
  4. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello,Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system image. I think...
  5. Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives

Internal Hard Drives are Showing As Removable Drives: Hello, Thank you in advance for any assistance. I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. My issue is I have an internal hard drive that is showing as a removable storage device. I am using this drive for Backup. Windows 10 File Backup and trying to use it for a system...
  6. Internal SATA drives show as removable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Internal SATA drives show as removable: My motherboard has two SATA controllers. C: and D: are connected to a separate controller from the other two hard drives and one DVD burner. C: and D: show on the remove/eject menu. How do I get them off that? The last, and only other, time I encountered such a problem...
  7. Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable

Need Non-Removable Drive to Show as Removable: Windows 10 is showing one of my drives as non-removable/fixed. I need it to show as a removable drive. I don't mind making registry changes or whatever needs to be done. I've found information on going the other way (have removable drive show as non-removable/fixed),...
  8. Printer shows as removable drive

Printer shows as removable drive: I have an Epsom A810 printer, connected to desktop PC by USB. The printer has a USB port for loading pictures to the printer from a thumb drive. Thing is, this port makes the printer show up in Disk Management and My PC as a removable drive. But it is not a drive at...
  9. Explorer showing removable drives twice

Explorer showing removable drives twice: Hi guys, This is another minor annoyance. When I insert any removable drive (USB, SD cards, etc) the device shows up twice in Explorer. Once under "This PC" tree and the other as a device. See attached pic (USB Drive H): I remember hearing about this being the way it's...
  10. Some folders not showing on shared drives on network

Some folders not showing on shared drives on network: It may be buried in here somewhere but thought I'd throw this out there just in case or to help folks that haven't found a solution here. I was having trouble suddenly with several folders shared between my win 7 and 10 boxes. As far as I know they had worked before and...