Windows 10: Some Folder Icons have a Black Background

Discus and support Some Folder Icons have a Black Background in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I think since the latest Windows 10 update some of my icons have a black background to them, sometimes they don't *update*. [img] What could be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JayK, Jan 29, 2016.

1. JayK Win User

Some Folder Icons have a Black Background

I think since the latest Windows 10 update some of my icons have a black background to them, sometimes they don't *update*.

Some Folder Icons have a Black Background [​IMG]

What could be causing this? I've tried deleting the thumbnail cache using CCleaner and Disk Cleaner but that didn't seem to help.

Any advice much appreciated!

:)

2. joodie101 Win User

File Explorer: Black background on Windows 10 folders

When I display folders in "medium icons" or "large icons" or "extra large icons" view, some of them have black backgrounds; others have white backgrounds. Why is this? And how can I make them all white?

Original Title: windows 10 folders

joodie101, Jan 29, 2016
  3. adg82439 Win User
    Anne Update

I too miss the clear contrast of black midnight.

Black, energy saving, background, white clear Types, colored icons on all Levels.

It would be very fine if a user could have influence

on Type, Size and contrast as well as the use of Icons and folders.

all folders are gone with the update.

adg82439, Jan 29, 2016
  4. SoxmisUK Win User

You do have a desktop background yes? haha probably. *Smile Ok you could try running a DISM check. It can fix a lot of broken stuff.

You can find the tutorial here.

SoxmisUK, Jan 29, 2016
  5. JayK Win User
    Yes, that image was inside a folder.

6. dencal Win User
    Click on three dots just under x top right...then Settings.....Choose a Theme.....Dark or Light.

dencal, Jan 29, 2016
  7. SoxmisUK Win User
    Oh I think you nailed it better than I *Smile

SoxmisUK, Jan 29, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

IF the OP is using Edge. Yes, that would be the answer. What if the OP is using IE11 ?

davidhk, Jan 29, 2016
  9. JayK Win User
    I'm using neither, I'm not sure what Edge has to do with it but this folder icon problem is happening with File Explorer. *Confused

I can reproduce the issue. If I clear the icon cache using Disk Cleanup, restart, browse to a text file and open it, close it, go back to the root folder, change icon view to medium (previously detailed) the root folder and subfolders to that text file will have a black background around it. So it seems to happen to recently accessed files.

I've ran sfc /scannow and got no errors.

I think around the same time I noticed this problem I altered the registry to change the window title bar to black, that would make sense why the background color is black. But re-imaging back to an older state didn't fix it. I use a Microsoft account to login, do you think those registry settings could be saved in OneDrive sync? If I re-image WAY back to November, let the settings sync (this is before I change title bar color) then the window accent border color changes to black instead of blue.

If that's the case, how could I make OneDrive sync forget this PC? Unlike Windows 8.1 I don't think Windows 10 shows up as a device.

10. Cliff S New Member
    Does this folder have any icons you might be using as custom icons, instead of the default ones?
    Another words have you used this technique to change any icons?

Cliff S, Jan 30, 2016
  11. JayK Win User
    Yes and no. It happens no matter if it is a custom icon or default icon. If I make a new folder in D:\New Folder\document.txt it will still happen, it only happens when File Explorer is in detail view then switches to medium icon view. If I create a folder in medium icon view it doesn't happen.

12. Cliff S New Member
    It's nothing to worry about, it's either a visual glitch in 10(I customize my icons and have seen this since the beginning of the Insider program) or wanted, for users to know that a file has a modified shortcut/.exe icon path, in case they want to move the file or folder, which would turn your custom icon into a default "paper sheet" blank icon.

Cliff S, Jan 30, 2016
  13. Some Folder Icons have a Black Background

Iv got same issue with windows 10 pro, but its not the folders its the png icons that i make

iv got images on medium view
    issue happens if i go to large or extra large view then if i go back to medium il get black backgrounds again

Only fix is to copy (not cut) images then delete folder and make new folder and paste images back in, then everything works fine

Also the photo app has bug, when i open any image when i first start my Pc with Photo's app they look correct but when i close image/app and reopen they end up lower resolution, when i open with any other app/program they always look perfect so something is wrong with windows 10 photo app too

Fix for low res images in photo app, use reg fix from here Unable to replace Photos app with Photo Viewer as default (10240).

the old windows photo viewer might not have edit features etc but it keeps my icons proper quality all the time and its faster at switching images

Gotta say, im new here but love this site, i made topic on microsoft windows 10 forum and all the help you get is copy and paste help saying download troubleshooter tool...which does feck all then they ignored me lol

JOHN30011887, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Some Folder Icons have a Black Background - Similar Threads - Folder Icons Black

2. Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?: Hello, I am currently running Windows 11 on my system the new version 23H2 For about two weeks or so now I have began to notice that when I go into my Download Folder - my Folders have a black box background only on some of them. As you can see by the image below. A few steps...
  3. Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black Background of Folder Icons in Explorer?: Hello, I am currently running Windows 11 on my system the new version 23H2 For about two weeks or so now I have began to notice that when I go into my Download Folder - my Folders have a black box background only on some of them. As you can see by the image below. A few steps...
  4. Black background of folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black background of folders: Hello!Can anybody help me, please?As you can see from the below image, Some of my folder's backgrounds are black:How can I fix it? I restarted many times but it didn't do anything......
  5. Black background of folders

Black background of folders: Hello!Can anybody help me, please?As you can see from the below image, Some of my folder's backgrounds are black:How can I fix it? I restarted many times but it didn't do anything......
  6. Black background of folders

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. some icons have their colors changed to black

some icons have their colors changed to black: for example my youtube icon is black my netflix icon is black if someone can please tell me how to fix this it would be very helpful. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-icons-have-their-colors-changed-to-black/b3b40f0c-7bde-4368-bbb2-e8e74a1fb0fd
  8. Some programs have black background

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some programs have black background: About a month ago, after i had to change a failing HDD, and reinstalled windows, i started having this problem.https://imgur.com/a/sarOXN1 In some programs (mostly windows explorer and instalation wizards) the whole background is black, and in some cases so is the text....
  9. Some folders have black fonts

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some folders have black fonts: After that screwy update just some of my folders have black fonts but not all pf them, some on my desktop and the C Drive folder. I've tried most everything on search engines but still no joy. I attached a pic of the problem. Thanks for any help! [ATTACH]...
  10. Black background behind Folder icons in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Black background behind Folder icons in Windows 10: [ATTACH] Windows 10 File Explorer provides a variety of ways to organize the contents of files and folders of the system. The Window users can use some efficient styles to view the contents of the file system as per the user’s [...] This post Black background behind Folder...