Windows 10: Some programs not loading from Start screen

Discus and support Some programs not loading from Start screen in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; About half of my tiles on the Start screen are not functioning. If I find the *.exe they will load from that file. I have tried a Restore but it would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by ADKR, Oct 7, 2017.

1. ADKR Win User

Some programs not loading from Start screen

About half of my tiles on the Start screen are not functioning. If I find the *.exe they will load from that file. I have tried a Restore but it would not complete even in Safe Mode. I have run a fix on the Power Shell and reinstalled Metro/Modern apps. The screen shot shows which programs load. It seems more like settings only. None of my added programs load. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling one to no avail. Frustrated? Yep. Thanks for any suggestions.

:)

ADKR, Oct 7, 2017
  2. Lucas_124 Win User

Programs not loading

It won't even let me open the troubleshooter, this is crazy.

Lucas_124, Oct 7, 2017
  3. Jessen P Win User
    Programs not loading

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community.

To perform common maintenance tasks in Windows, such as cleaning up unused files and shortcuts, try using the System Maintenance troubleshooter to automatically find and fix problems. For example, the System Maintenance troubleshooter looks for unused files
    and shortcuts that you can clean up or remove so that your computer can run faster.

Run the System Maintenance troubleshooter

Please follow the steps to run System Maintenance troubleshooter on the computer:

• Type “Control Panel” on the search box.

• Click on Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.

• Click on System Maintenance option.

• Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.

• Check if it has improved the performance.
    Please revert if you face any issues with Windows in future.

Jessen P, Oct 7, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, As I understand it tiles relating to desktop programs you have installed do not work, but if you navigate to the installation folders, they do launch correctly.

However you then say
    That seems to contradict
    Do you mean that you can't launch any programs you install from either the start menu (left hand side) or their tile?

What error message was reported by your attempt to use System Restore?

What is your Windows build?
    Windows key + R, winver
    Thanks.

dalchina, Oct 7, 2017
  5. ADKR Win User
    Version 1703
    Build 15063.632
    I mean that clicking on any tile or icon does not load a program. If I locate the file on my hard drive I can open from there. So nothing except the ones bordered in red will load from the Start screen.

The error message from Restore I would have to do it again to find it. But it suggested I stop my antivirus program and try again. I did and even loaded Windows in Safe mode, but nothing. Same error. I have always had trouble with restore and pretty much have given up on it as an option. But I am certainly willing to revisit it if you think it would help.

ADKR, Oct 7, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    You can try this:
    Microsofts Start menu troubleshooter could fix your Windows 10 problems | Trusted Reviews
    but it may not solve these problems.

To check if this is a Windows problem or a user profile related problem, and so determine the next step, please create a new user for test purposes and see if you have the same problem with that.

If you do, the next step would be an in-place upgrade repair install which keeps all programs and data and most settings.

As you know, System Restore may not work when you need it, so we repeatedly recommend the routine use of disk imaging (e.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk images). This allows Windows and any disk or partition to be recovered to a previous working state without technical assistance, and in under an hour.

dalchina, Oct 8, 2017
  7. ADKR Win User
    Ran the troubleshooter, no problems found.

Tried doing the reset and got a blue screen error "Something went wrong and no changes were made". There seemed to be no more information to look at.

I'll keep trying things. Not finding any other solutions in other forums or by googling the problem. Thanks for the ideas.

ADKR, Oct 8, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

That was the first step.. please continue..

To check if this is a Windows problem or a user profile related problem, and so determine the next step, please create a new user for test purposes and see if you have the same problem with that.

dalchina, Oct 8, 2017
  9. ADKR Win User
    I made a Guest account and it was no different that my account. Start menu icons would only work with native programs.

The issue seems to only happen with software I have added. Native programs like Edge, Calculator, Paint3D open from the icon on the Start menu. I found the application file for RevoUninstaller and CCleaner. I made a short cut onto the desktop. Clicking on the desktop icon opens the program. I tried putting those two programs on the taskbar. The icons are there but they will not open from the taskbar. The saga continues.

ADKR, Oct 8, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, so I would suggest
    a. Create a disk image of what you have (always act defensively and use disk imaging routinely anyway)
    b. Do an in-place upgrade repair install

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Some programs not loading from Start screen - Similar Threads - programs loading Start

2. Program icons are missing from the Start screen panel.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program icons are missing from the Start screen panel.: After reconnecting the drive, the icons disappeared. It’s possible to run applications, but it doesn’t look aesthetically pleasing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-icons-are-missing-from-the-start-screen/5088cf9f-1fec-4053-a129-fd9b1ccf857a
  3. Program icons are missing from the Start screen panel.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program icons are missing from the Start screen panel.: After reconnecting the drive, the icons disappeared. It’s possible to run applications, but it doesn’t look aesthetically pleasing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-icons-are-missing-from-the-start-screen/5088cf9f-1fec-4053-a129-fd9b1ccf857a
  4. Program icons are missing from the Start screen panel.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Desktop computer takes hours to load and start some programs Win 10 64

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop computer takes hours to load and start some programs Win 10 64: Until recently I could load Autocad, progecad and 3D games normally. Now I click to load and they load very slowly. Autocad takes 1.5 to 2 hours to load. It used to load in about 20 seconds. Other programs like firefox still load normally. Boot up seems normal. I am up to...
  6. Some programs not starting

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some programs not starting: I just recently built a new PC. Everything was working fine 3 weeks until today when I started my computer. I got an error message about OneDrive not being able to start over a qt plugin. Then I noticed some other programs were not starting. When double clicking discord off...
  7. Stopping Programs and Services from Loading

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stopping Programs and Services from Loading: I would like to create a User on my Windows 10 PC, so when that user logs on that only certain Processes/Services/Programs load or Start. I know many of you will REPLY with things like "why would you want to do that?" or "you should just get a different PC" Any help on...
  8. Some programs crash during the loading screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some programs crash during the loading screen: Hey, i have ran into a problem today that i have never seen before and i cant find anything similar when googling. So i was just playing some FiveM today (fivem is sort of a extension to grand theft auto 5 that enables you to create servers and add mods to said servers),...
  9. Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open some programs/shortcuts from start menu: Hello, So I've been noticing a common issue with upgrading some of my work place's PCs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I am using the windows media creation tool and for the most part everything goes well during the upgrade, however when I log back into the machine using out...
  10. Cortana starts some programs, not others?

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana starts some programs, not others?: Not a huge issue, but I was wondering if there was a way to get Cortana to be more consistent at starting programs? At present she will start some with no problem, but others will either display a Web search page or do nothing? As an example, I use "Cool Reader" to read...