Windows 10: Some programs on my desktop will not open

Discus and support Some programs on my desktop will not open in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a HP Pavillion Elite HPE desktop computer that has had Windows 10 on it since the roll out. In the last few weeks some of the programs will not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tae111, Feb 20, 2017.

1. tae111 Win User

Some programs on my desktop will not open

I have a HP Pavillion Elite HPE desktop computer that has had Windows 10 on it since the roll out. In the last few weeks some of the programs will not open from the desktop. Edge being one of them. You can right click on the icon and select open but nothing happens. If I restart the computer things will begin working again but if you leave the computer and come back an hour later they stop working again. I have run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware scans as well as Norton 360 virus scan. I also ran a sfc scan and all is well. Any suggestions??

:)

tae111, Feb 20, 2017

2. Some programs will not open

Hi! I never argue with success. If it works for you, that's the main thing. MBAB has been my friend for years. As I stated I'm not a Norton fan. I suppose there could have been a conflict between them.

I run Windows Defender and MBAM in real time.

Here's some free advise. Learn how to use a 3rd party image program. It will make your PC experience a lot less stressful!

Thanks for your reply!

PS Computers will drive you to drink! LOL!

garybear89, Feb 20, 2017
  3. Some programs will not open

One of the things that was happening was Malwarebytes kept asking me to turn on real time protection. Since I have another program doing that task I always declined. The issues started right around the time I was getting those pop ups so on the off chance
    that was causing things I uninstalled the program. It's been 2 days since I did that and every thing is running smooth with no issues. This surprises me since so many people sing the praises of that program. I guess I will find out in the next few days if
    that solved the issue but as of now it sure looks like it.

ThomasEarly, Feb 20, 2017
  4. tae111 Win User

I have 642GB of free space on my hard drive and 8GB of RAM. Diagnostics on the drive show no problems so I'm thinking it is a Windows problem.

tae111, Feb 20, 2017
  5. tae111 Win User
    Well I guess no one had any ideas on this. One of the things that was happening was Malwarebytes kept asking me to turn on real time protection. Since I have another program doing that task I always declined. The issues started right around the time I was getting those pop ups so on the off chance that was causing things I uninstalled the program. It's been 2 days since I did that and every thing is running smooth with no issues. This surprises me since so many people sing the praises of that program. I guess I will find out in the next few days if that solved the issue but as of now it sure looks like it.

tae111, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Some programs on my desktop will not open - Similar Threads - programs desktop open

2. Program crashed and now some programs close immediately on opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Program crashed and now some programs close immediately on opening: Hi AllBit of a strange one.My Adobe Indesign crashed, and then refused to open every time I have tried afterwards. The splash window appears, and after a few seconds, disappears.This isn't the only program it affects, with Terminal, Thunderbird, Slack, and Aeomi Backupper...
  3. Some programs not opening/crashing

Some programs not opening/crashing: I recently got a new laptop and it has been working great. However, sometimes asus's armoury crate and realtek audio console would open but crash a second later. I have tried updating both but the problem persists...
  4. Remote desktop does not open some programs.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop does not open some programs.: when I'm using remote desktop on my android cell phone and i try to run some programs they don't work, how i can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-does-not-open-some-programs/64900cf4-c0bf-4c39-87b8-3782377321c7
  5. "Open with" not showing up for some programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Open with" not showing up for some programs: Hey everybody Title really says everything basically theres a program where the option to "open with" isn't there. Though its still there on almost every other program. Can anyone help? submitted by /u/Flexion16 [link] [comments]...
  6. Some programs are not opening

Some programs are not opening: Some programs such as the task manager or Google Chrome refuse to open under any circumstance. Task manager can be opened but i have to press the windows key then type task manager and run it as admin from there. Google chrome stopped working completely and i uninstalled it...
  7. Some programs won't open!?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some programs won't open!?: So, I just updated my Windows 7 to Windows 10, aaand, some games/programs open normally, and others just won't show up on my screen, i tried updating drivers/Nvidia drivers/Visual C++, turn windows protection off, but nothing. After I installed Visual C++ 2015/2017/2019, one...
  8. Some desktop icons will not open

Some desktop icons will not open: Some of my desktop icons will not open, browsers included. Can anyone give me some advice. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-desktop-icons-will-not-open/b26cecd9-9163-4ad6-94d3-d85c87328040
  9. Side by Side Configuration error and some of my programs will not open

Side by Side Configuration error and some of my programs will not open: I am getting a Side by Side Configuration error and some of my programs will not open. Any suggestions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help/2154189f-68c3-446c-a47b-b43ce06e2f09
  10. Stuttering when opening some programs

Stuttering when opening some programs: Hello! First of all sorry for my bad english. I have heavy stuttering for a couple of seconds when i open some programs and i noticed that this could be related to hardware accelleration. I think this because I had this problem on almost every program but i magically solved...