Windows 10: some questions about 'about:config'

Discus and support some questions about 'about:config' in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; I would like to increase the width of the scrollbar in Palemoon from 2.5mm to 5mm. I seem to be missing the bar quite often when I try to click it. So... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by mipak, Jan 12, 2018.

1. mipak Win User

some questions about 'about:config'

I would like to increase the width of the scrollbar in Palemoon from 2.5mm to 5mm. I seem to be missing the bar quite often when I try to click it. So annoying.
    I went into 'about:config' and discovered there were just over 60 lines with the word 'scroll' in each of them but which one to adjust, I have no idea.

also in 'about:config', I didn't count how many lines containing 'font' but there were loads in the list as well as a large number relating to different languages.
    All the words I'm looking at now at the top of the Palemoon screen are very tiny and I'd like to know what to look for in order to increase the font size.
    In tools > options > content, the font size appears to apply only to what's on the main screen and not to the two or three bars that run across the top of the screen.

If anyone is able to point me in the right direction, either in or out of 'about:config', I'd be really grateful.

:)

mipak, Jan 12, 2018

2. some questions about C5

somebody tell me plz!!can i install georgian language on my C5? And how can i do it?

sakartvelo---01, Jan 12, 2018
  3. some questions about C5

In the gallery, you can rotate by pressing the middle button of the navi keys. It changes from landscape to portrait.

kaych---01, Jan 12, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

spunk, Jan 12, 2018
  5. mipak Win User
    Thank you for your reply ...
    I went through all the items a number of times and although I couldn't find any that applied to the sizes of fonts or the scrollbar, the first five items contained in 'security tweaks' interested me enough to modify them with a view to stopping them being hijacked by other sites. All five now show as 'true'.
    Thank you again.
    In the meantime, I'm still hoping for a solution to my font & scrollbar problem.

mipak, Jan 12, 2018
  6. dalchina New Member
    Looking at this another way
    - scrolling works for me (with a scroll wheel) for whichever window my pointer is hovering over
    (you can opt to scroll inactive windows to)
    - if you middle click on a window, you get a mouse icon- move the pointer up or down from that and scrolling occurs. The speed varies with distance from that icon.

And of course with a touchpad you have two finger flick and scroll options, also chiral (circular) scrolling as well as one finger scroll. (Some of these are reported as not working with some later touchpad drivers in Win 10 - I had to use an older driver)

Note these reported PM issues:
    With several themes, can't grab scroll bar at far right edge in Pale Moon - Pale Moon forum
    With Greybird (and all other Shimmer themes), cant grab Pale Moon scrollbar at far right edge · Issue #190 · shimmerproject/Greybird · GitHub

dalchina, Jan 12, 2018
  7. Callender Win User
    You can make a system wide change in scroll bar width but it will affect all scroll bars.

See Palemoon wider scroll bar:

some questions about 'about:config' [​IMG]

Example of other scroll bar affected by the change:

To make the change press [WINKEY + R] then type regedit and press Enter.

Navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics

In the left pane lick to hightlight WindowsMetrics.

In the right pane click Scrollwidth and change value to whatever you need.

Make a note of the current value first so that you can undo the change.

EDIT: Reboot or sign out/ in to make the changes.

Callender, Jan 12, 2018
  8. Edwin New Member

@mipak

Scroll Bars:
    In previous versions of Firefox, it was possible to change the appearance of scrollbars with a user style sheet, however, in Firefox 57+, that will only apply to very few places in the UI:

... best to try @Callender 's suggestion for system-wide tweak.

Font/UI size:

For toolbars, headers sizes, etc. you could try changing the size of the entire Firefox UI by increasing layout.css.devPixelsPerPx setting to something larger.
    Try a few settings, you can always right click the entry and choose 'Reset':
    (Don't go too big cuz then things start to get blurry!) *Wink

Edwin, Jan 12, 2018
  9. Callender Win User
    Well for what it's worth here's how FF Quantum looks with the tweak.

EDIT: Just noticed that I didn't put the green arrow in the correct place in the screenshot. It was supposed to be pointing at the scroll bar.

Callender, Jan 12, 2018
  10. Edwin New Member
    Well, I'll be d...
    How come it won't work for me!?

Edwin, Jan 12, 2018
  11. Callender Win User
    Don't know. It looks like you use the nightly build with some other tweaks applied.

Callender, Jan 12, 2018
  12. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, from the screenshots, I'm running Windows Blinds and all kinds of other crap but I tried it on laptop with W10 vanilla and Quantum, won't work there either! *Confused

Edwin, Jan 12, 2018
  13. Callender Win User

Callender, Jan 12, 2018
  14. Callender Win User
    Or maybe you use some custom windows theme that over-rides the setting?

Callender, Jan 12, 2018
  15. Edwin New Member
    Aw crap! I forgot, I have Aero-Lite theme on laptop!!! *Doh
    I'll make some adjustments in a bit.

All the yappin, the last 8 or 9 months about .css code not working in FF any more, then you try some and many do work! Left scratchin your head! *Confused

Some times it's userContent though and not userChrome.

Edwin, Jan 12, 2018
Thema:

1. some questions about 'about:config' - Similar Threads - questions 'about config'

2. Some questions about Windows Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Some questions about Windows Key: Hello, I bought a custom built PC on ebay about a year ago. There weren't any red flags until I received my PC and turned it on, to which I was welcomed with pirated Microsoft Word and the sorts. I did not like any of that and I took that as a warning so I reinstalled Windows...
  3. Some questions about Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some questions about Windows: Okay, as the title shows, I have 2 problems that I don't know how to fix and I need everybody help.The first one is background slideshow problem. I'm using Windows 11, install all of cumulative updates. When I use background slideshow mode, it works well at Desktop 1 I have 2...
  4. Some questions about Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Some questions about Windows: Okay, as the title shows, I have 2 problems that I don't know how to fix and I need everybody help.The first one is background slideshow problem. I'm using Windows 11, install all of cumulative updates. When I use background slideshow mode, it works well at Desktop 1 I have 2...
  5. quick question about some things

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    quick question about some things: So I'm a little worried to why Microsoft Store is running in task manager and why Mail and Microsoft Store are using GPU I know its not using any since it says zero % but just a little curious...
  6. Some questions about BSoD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some questions about BSoD: Hello , I'm new here and i'm not sure if i sent this thread in right place .. I have Some question and cant find answer ,I would be grateful if anyone could help me to find answers . _________________________________________________ As i Have win7 i'm not sure i can ask about...
  7. Questions about some Windows settings

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about some Windows settings: I always create a local account with admin rights and I want UAC disabled and the files and programs which need to be run with admin rights to automatically do it (so I don't have to do it myself) so could someone tell me what Enable UAC - Filter all administrators...
  8. Some questions about reinstalling

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Some questions about reinstalling: I want to reinstall Windows 10. I am using now 1803, but had a lot of problems when I upgraded to 1809 (2 times), so and I restored it to 1803. My question is if 1809 is stable as a fresh install? I have the 1809 and the 1803 live USBs. Should I install 1809 fresh, or 1803?...
  9. Some questions about reinstalling

in Windows 10 Support
    Some questions about reinstalling: I want to reinstall Windows 10. I am using now 1803, but had a lot of problems when I upgraded to 1809 (2 times), so and I restored it to 1803. My question is if 1809 is stable as a fresh install? I have the 1809 and the 1803 live USBs. Should I install 1809 fresh, or 1803?...
  10. Some questions about Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Some questions about Win 10: I have Win 10 Home Single Language installed. There's a new Insider Preview build v 10565 available and Treshold 2 is coming out in November. Is there ever going to be a final version of Win 10. I've also read that MS will be coming out with "Redstone" next year. Will that...