Windows 10: Some questions about updating an Acer laptop to Win 10

Discus and support Some questions about updating an Acer laptop to Win 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My neighbour has a late model Acer 17" with Windows 8.1 64bit and wants to update to Windows 10. What "precautions" should one take? Is there a web... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ineuw, Jun 1, 2016.

1. ineuw Win User

Some questions about updating an Acer laptop to Win 10

My neighbour has a late model Acer 17" with Windows 8.1 64bit and wants to update to Windows 10.

What "precautions" should one take? Is there a web link to some cautionary info?

If this will not work out, is it still possible to roll back?

Thanks in advance

:)

ineuw, Jun 1, 2016
  2. NA_500 Win User

Do I need to uninstall Windows 7 SP1 plus some updates before upgrading to Win 10 Home?

Original Title: Upgrade to Win 10 Home

Windows 7 SP1 plus some updates is installed on my Acer laptop. Do I need to uninstall it before upgrading to Win 10 Home? If not, how should I proceed to effectively download and install Win 10 Home edition?

NA_500, Jun 1, 2016
  3. AnilSood Win User
    Black screen while charging my Laptop Acer E5 511 after Windows Update install Intel Graphic Drivers V 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3

Dear Greg

I am using ACER laptop and have installed Intel VGA Driver v 10.18.10.4242 newly released by Acer for their machines upgrading to win 10. or having OS win 10. However, windows update installs versions other than this which it seems is not compatible with
    graphic card on my acer E5 511 laptop and hence this problem. every now and then when this problem crops up I have to roll back VGA driver installed by updates or reinstall prescribed by Acer.

Thanks any way for your suggestions.

AnilSood, Jun 1, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jun 1, 2016
  5. ineuw Win User
    Thanks for your very detailed reply. In this case, there is only one laptop, with OEM software, and I must assume that there is a recovery sector as well.

ineuw, Jun 2, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    The recovery "sector" probably won't help you much after upgrading to Windows 10 because most recovery partitions used by computer manufacturers require their proprietary recovery software to be used to restore the computer to factory software.

NavyLCDR, Jun 2, 2016
  7. ineuw Win User
    Thanks again, so it's best if I make a system backup beforehand.

ineuw, Jun 2, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

I doubt very seriously that a single member here would disagree with that.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Some questions about updating an Acer laptop to Win 10 - Similar Threads - questions updating Acer

2. Some questions about Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some questions about Windows: Okay, as the title shows, I have 2 problems that I don't know how to fix and I need everybody help.The first one is background slideshow problem. I'm using Windows 11, install all of cumulative updates. When I use background slideshow mode, it works well at Desktop 1 I have 2...
  3. Some questions about BSoD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Some questions about BSoD: Hello , I'm new here and i'm not sure if i sent this thread in right place .. I have Some question and cant find answer ,I would be grateful if anyone could help me to find answers . _________________________________________________ As i Have win7 i'm not sure i can ask about...
  4. Question about win updates on a non frequently used laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about win updates on a non frequently used laptop.: So, I have a laptop that is pretty much used for writing and other things when I'm in bed, outside or otherwise cannot be on my desktop. Due to various reasons, I cannot use it as often as I'd like, so it's sometimes weeks to months between uses. Whenever I try using it after...
  5. a new question about win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    a new question about win 10: The Dell laptop that I have doesn't have a LED that blinks when the internal HD is working. So I found a small program that sites on the desktop and runs in the background and blinks when the HD is working. But the prog didn't come with an installer. I have a copy of the prog...
  6. A question about Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about Win 10: I keep running into this thing called "Group Policy" when I am looking up a "how to do something" online. What is this "Group Policy" bit all about? Steve 131919
  7. some questions about 'about:config'

in Browsers and Email
    some questions about 'about:config': I would like to increase the width of the scrollbar in Palemoon from 2.5mm to 5mm. I seem to be missing the bar quite often when I try to click it. So annoying. I went into 'about:config' and discovered there were just over 60 lines with the word 'scroll' in each of them but...
  8. Questions about Win 10 License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Questions about Win 10 License: I got 2 questions about Win 10 license.... 1) Is it cheaper to buy a Win 10 product key now or after July 29th? 2) I'm not able to find a Win 10 retail version. Does anyone know where to find one? 57528
  9. Some questions about Win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Some questions about Win 10: I have Win 10 Home Single Language installed. There's a new Insider Preview build v 10565 available and Treshold 2 is coming out in November. Is there ever going to be a final version of Win 10. I've also read that MS will be coming out with "Redstone" next year. Will that...
  10. Questions about win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Questions about win 10: Hello I am very old win 7 user, so after upgrade i make this steps and i wonder if i make it right I download windows 10 using the tool from Microsoft, and get ISO file, put it on USB using Microsoft USB, DVD tool and i start format my laptop and system partition...