Windows 10: Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update

Discus and support Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi all Regarding "Failed" Driver Update: Intel - net - 10/31/2017 12:00:00 AM - 18.33.11.2 This thread seeks info about (and extending from) a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ausgumbie, Jan 19, 2018.

1. ausgumbie Win User

Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update

Hi all

Regarding "Failed" Driver Update: Intel - net - 10/31/2017 12:00:00 AM - 18.33.11.2

This thread seeks info about (and extending from) a driver update shown* (*Windows Settings > Update & Security > Installed Update History > Driver Updates) as "Failed to install on ‎17/‎01/‎2018 - 0x800705b4". (A timeout error).

This issue was touched-on in another, more general, thread (What to do about Failed Updates? - Windows 10 Forums), and I thank Ix07 yet again for the information there.

Following Ix07's link, I looked at the Microsoft Update Catalogue pages. Having two pages of places to download drivers from threw me a bit, but I noted they essentially had the same significant info in the title links, except for the driver models - either Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160, or Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265.

My laptop has (Settings > Network & Internet > WiFi > Hardware Properties) an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, Driver version: 18.33.11.2.

So, now to my questions. Warning! My technology knowledge and skills are - I'm not kidding - really basic. Please assume I know next-to-nothing about the hardware and software I'm asking about here.

Questions:
    (1) When I check Device Manager > Network adapters > Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 > Properties > General tab, I see "Location: PCI bus 3, device 0, function 0". Also "Device status: This device is working properly." This confuses me a bit. What does the "device 0" indicate? Which "device" is working properly?

(2) In Driver tab view, I see this (image):

Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update [​IMG]

So, do I have the driver that "didn't" update on 17/01/2018, or .......?)

(3) In Events tab view, I see this (image):

Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update [​IMG]

and in the Information panes, "Driver Management has concluded the process to add Service ("vwifibus" OR "NETwNb64") for Device Instance ID PCI\(...alphabet soup...) with the following status: 0."
    What does the "status 0" mean?

(4) Last question, taking the failed update alert with the above info, do I have an updated driver OR does the "failed" alert mean some parts of the update succeeded and others timed out? In other words, do I have a driver version 18.33.11.2 or not?

Any and all help welcome!

Many thanks

:)

ausgumbie, Jan 19, 2018
  2. musum Win User

" SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

SO HERE'S THE LINK TO THAT PIC

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ihbdco.jpg

CAN U PLZ CHECK IT ACTUALLY I HAVE USED THE NOKIA SOFTWARE UPDATER B4 ... BUT I DONT KNW WHY I M GETTING THIS ERROR NOW

musum, Jan 19, 2018
  3. musum Win User
    " SOFTWARE UPDATE FAILED "

i have installed windows xp sp2

previously i was using windows media center i thought i might b facing this probs due to that but then i changed it to windows xp ! n moreover i have also shown to nokia service center executives but they were not having the latest updates available ......
    my pc suite is showing that new update version of firmware is available but i cudnt download it Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update :(

oh gawd wat to do ? Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update :(

i tried in another pc then again i got an error u need to have minimum 256 ram Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update :(

please cant it b rectified ? there must b any solution to this probs please help me guyz

god bless all of u thanx Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update :)

musum, Jan 19, 2018
  4. Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update

Device 0 identifies the 1st device on PCI bus 3. Function 0 identifies the 1st "function" of that device. A full explanation of these terms would fill a book (called the PCI specification).

For your 7260, it is the only device connected to bus 3, so it is device 0. And there is only one function (the network controller), which is function 0.

A single hardware device can have multiple functions. For instance, my nVidia graphics card has two: function 0 is the graphics controller, function 1 is the audio controller. As far as Windows is concerned, these are 2 different "devices" and therefore require 2 different drivers, even though they are on the same physical device.

It looks like it did get installed.

0 is generally used to indicate success (i.e. no error occurred).

The actual driver was installed. However, the "driver" package can contain other software, such as configuration utilities or support services. If everything is working then I wouldn't really worry about it. Otherwise you can manually go install the full driver package.

PolarNettles, Jan 19, 2018
  5. ausgumbie Win User
    Hi PolarNettles,

A very good explanation indeed for my level of understanding. Many thanks.

I'm accessing the internet ok, no dropouts worth mentioning and no angry popups yelling about this, that or something else not functioning. So, I'm assuming all is working ok.

I found an Intel page with downloads for drivers and packages (didn't bookmark the url - typical, but I'm sure I can google my way back to it if I ever need to).

My thanks again

ausgumbie, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update

1. Some Questions re a "Failed" Driver Update - Similar Threads - Questions Failed Driver

2. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Some general driver inf file questions: I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the .inf file contain a NTamd64 but doesn't require a NTia64 section. Isn't NTia64 what I want, considering that it is for...
  3. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some general driver inf file questions: I'm trying to update a driver from windows 7 to windows 10. The drier will only be installed on systems with intel chips.1. Microsoft requires that the .inf file contain a NTamd64 but doesn't require a NTia64 section. Isn't NTia64 what I want, considering that it is for...
  4. Some general driver inf file questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Updating drivers question

Updating drivers question: So can i use device manager to update all my drivers? Like my chipset drivers does it automatically search for the latest chipset drivers for my rog strix b550 motherboard and my rtx 2070 super does device manager download the latest drivers for that too? Or do i need to get...
  6. RE: Failed windows 10 update?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    RE: Failed windows 10 update?: My Hp laptop running Windows 10 will not boot up. When I turn it on it looks OK with the hp logo. But instead of starting up, firstly a box, like an options box flashes up very briefly. Then an Attempting Installation recovery message flashes on before another message,...
  7. RE Slimare driver updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RE Slimare driver updates: Is Slimware driver update a real thing or a scam? It's telling me I need 6 new updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-slimare-driver-updates/626b8343-e260-463f-bb7d-f5bbc1d66902
  8. Question re update to win10 1607

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Question re update to win10 1607: Yesterday my laptop was updated to Windows 10 1607. I'm having problems since that update. I now have no folder that simply says pictures...only "saved pictures". Also my virtual keyboard doesn't appear like it did before on start...a small problem, but the picture folder...
  9. Driver Update Question ?!

Driver Update Question ?!: Hi guys im about to install win 10 on my lenovo laptop, and i need some info about drivers. Lenovo in its own manufactured site has all the drivers but some of them are old, so should i use them or leave windows update install them for me ?! 78779
  10. Some questions:

in Windows 10 Support
    Some questions:: Win10Pro-x64, i5 2500, 16GB RAM 1) TrustedInstalleiter: When will you finally make this system easily overridable? I'm not even master in my own system then? 2) UAC: Often I'm prevented from installing programs by UAC, same question: when will you make this finally...