Windows 10: Some USB port does not recognise drive

Discus and support Some USB port does not recognise drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a WD Passport 1TB drive, on two my pc's USB 3 ports, it just won't get recognised. Once the cable is plugged in, the power light on the drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ffrree, Oct 18, 2017.

1. ffrree Win User

Some USB port does not recognise drive

I have a WD Passport 1TB drive, on two my pc's USB 3 ports, it just won't get recognised. Once the cable is plugged in, the power light on the drive lights ON , not blinking, and nothing else happens.

Any idea to fix or diagnose this. The USB ports otherwise seems to work with other drives.

Is that something to do with the USB ports have its power turned off, as this drive requires power from the pc.

:)

ffrree, Oct 18, 2017
  2. KevinC64 Win User

USB 3.1 Type C not working on ASUS X556UQ Win10

This port does not appear to be working. Plugged in a WD My Passport Ultra USB 3.0 external drive using a USB 3.1 Type C adapter on the computer's port. It does not seem to recognise it all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

KevinC64, Oct 18, 2017
  3. Windows 10 doesn't recognise my camera

Windows 10 does not recognise cameras, but it does recognise the SD card in the camera. Remove the chip and place it in the port (or use a usb) card reader in your computer. Voila! the drive will recognise and upload your new photos, or all your photos,
    or your selected photos.

BruceDemmery, Oct 18, 2017
  4. simrick Win User

Can you get the WD drive to work on anything? Is the WD drive failing (or the PCB inside is failing)?

simrick, Oct 18, 2017
  5. ffrree Win User
    It seems that I have to shut the system down totally and re-power it to get the USB ports going ( only this pair at the rear of the PC ), not the front ones. Even just a Re-Start did not work, seems to need total power down and reboot.

Wonder if there is a setting that turns these USB ports off, perhaps after certain period of non-use ? Any idea.

Thanks.

ffrree, Oct 18, 2017
  6. Jimmyb Win User
    I have similar intermittent issue with a Seagate 1TB Expansion Drive. I bought a USB 3 panel for the front of my PC, and the rear ports are not easily acceptable, and used thumb drives in these without issue, I bought the USB 3 drive for backup, and on a number of occasions, the light on the drive stays on, no activity, and the USB eject shows nothing connected, sometimes it then continues as if nothing had happened, others I get an error message saying there is a fault. Error check inform the drive is OK. The rear port does not get the problem (yet!!)

Jimmyb, Oct 18, 2017
  7. Quexos Win User
    Not sure, but some ideas....

On WIN10 LTSB: Search > Edit Power Plan > Change Advanced Power Settings > USB Settings > USB Selective Suspend Setting = Disabled

Are they all USB 3 ports or some USB 2? Same controller or more than one?

My Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P Rev 2 (AMD CPU) main board has a setting called IOMMU in the BIOS/UEFI. In Windows it can be left disabled. In Linux, if disabled, no USB 2 or onboard network adapter will work. If enabled, USB 2 and onboard network work but USB 3 ports will not, and a Linux boot command is required in GRUB: IOMMU=SOFT. Then everything works. Check for something similar?

Some USB port does not recognise drive [​IMG]

Quexos, Oct 19, 2017
  8. Jimmyb Win User

I have been through all my USB device controllers and switched them off?

Jimmyb, Oct 19, 2017
  9. ffrree Win User
    That sorted the problem. Thanks.

ffrree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Some USB port does not recognise drive - Similar Threads - USB port does

2. My system recognises some devices plugged into a USB port but does not assign a drive...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My system recognises some devices plugged into a USB port but does not assign a drive...: Other devices it does. Tested this on another system same problem. These devices used to work fine on both computers. What could be causing this to happen?Tried looking for new drivers. Nothing worked....
  3. My system recognises some devices plugged into a USB port but does not assign a drive...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My system recognises some devices plugged into a USB port but does not assign a drive...: Other devices it does. Tested this on another system same problem. These devices used to work fine on both computers. What could be causing this to happen?Tried looking for new drivers. Nothing worked....
  4. My system recognises some devices plugged into a USB port but does not assign a drive...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. USB ports not recognising anything but work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB ports not recognising anything but work: My double usb port on my HP Pavillion 15 isn't recognising any device i plug in but i am able to charge ok from them, i have removed all the serial bus drivers etc and disabled/enabled but nothing seems to be workingHelp me please anyone Kevin...
  6. USB ports not recognising anything but work

USB ports not recognising anything but work: My double usb port on my HP Pavillion 15 isn't recognising any device i plug in but i am able to charge ok from them, i have removed all the serial bus drivers etc and disabled/enabled but nothing seems to be workingHelp me please anyone Kevin...
  7. USB ports not recognising anything but work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. USB port not recognising devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port not recognising devices: Hi, I've tried to use my single USB-3 port on my laptop ASUS Zenbook and noticed that the laptop isn't recognising anything being in the port. No sounds or notifications and nothing comes up in file explorer. I've tried multiple USBs in it, including a mouse, and none work so...
  9. USB port not recognising devices

USB port not recognising devices: Hi, I've tried to use my single USB-3 port on my laptop ASUS Zenbook and noticed that the laptop isn't recognising anything being in the port. No sounds or notifications and nothing comes up in file explorer. I've tried multiple USBs in it, including a mouse, and none work so...
  10. USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3.: USB does not recognise external drives in USB 2 & 3. In a partitioned drive it only shows one partition. With thumb drives it works okay. I posted this last week but I was hit by scammers, that`s why I`m posting again. Thanks in advance....