Windows 10: Some wires aren't plugged in and gpu fans arent spinning

Discus and support Some wires aren't plugged in and gpu fans arent spinning in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Okay so I recently took a look at my gaming PC (I didn't build it) and i noticed there were a couple cables that just weren't hooked up to something.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gtighe, May 21, 2017.

1. gtighe Win User

Some wires aren't plugged in and gpu fans arent spinning

Okay so I recently took a look at my gaming PC (I didn't build it) and i noticed there were a couple cables that just weren't hooked up to something. I'm not sure if that normal or not, but also I took a look at my GPU and the fans weren't spinning. I never really noticed that they didn't spin because I never see them. Everything works okay and I can play very big games with no sweat but I just want to know if there could be something wrong with my PC.

:)

gtighe, May 21, 2017
  2. AnD4D Win User

GPU Problems since WIN10 update

Yes I did, but I'm afraid I wasn't even sure what I was meant to be looking at in it. My CPU fans aren't the issue, it's my Graphics card that goes crazy. Well, one of the fans does when the GPU temp hits 30 degrees.

My concern is tracking down the software that's causing this. However, for all I know it's the Graphics card itself that's doing the overriding, as it'll spin fast even when in bios or booting up.

AnD4D, May 21, 2017
  3. Why is Windows Turning My GPU Fans Off?

I noticed a whine in my new computer the other day and thought maybe my PSU was going out. But it turns out that my GPU fans were not spinning (I think maybe the other system fans were running faster to try and cool it down?)

Regardless of the whine, when I boot the PC the fans spin up no problem, but once Windows starts to load, the fans quit and do not restart even when a game is launched. This seems like some sort of driver issue because I installed MSI Afterburner and used it
    to turn the fans on, and they run no problem.

Seems like either Nvidia set the fans to not spin on the card when it's not under load, or Windows is turning it off. Is there a power setting for this or something?

I had been having a few strange crashes which could easily be explained by the GPU over heating. I don't really want to have to run Afterburner all the time just to get my fans to spin. Any ideas?

I'm on Windows 10 64-bit (updated)

GTX 960

Ryzen 1600x

Gigabyte Ab350m-hd3

32GB of DDR4 RAM

A Corsair SSD

Luke Cypert, May 21, 2017
  4. spunk Win User

What is the make and model# of your video card (GPU)
    Many GPU's require a separate 6 pin power cable from the PSU plugged in on the far inside part of the card. This is required to power the fan and give the best resolution.
    Every PSU comes with extra power cables in case you add other devices, this is normal

spunk, May 21, 2017
  5. kimkl Win User
    Well if the fans are not spinning and you have some wires prob red and black then check the socket just under the cooler could be a 2 or 3 pin if the plug (prob white) is inserted but no wires well *Biggrin that would explain the no fan activity just lift out the plug MAKE SURE YOU check where the red wire goes or it will smell bad *Biggrin but seems to be what your ref to no fan spin and loose wires if the "legs" are still intact you can put them back in, ONCE you check where the wires go. or as the pirate said its the power for your GPU but not to sure about that not many GPU will work without power

kimkl, May 21, 2017
  6. clam1952 Win User
    Depending on the GPU they probably don't spin until they need to, as in when it starts heating up, mine don't unless I'm gaming. Most PSU's have extra plugs and cables unless it's a modular one.

clam1952, May 21, 2017
  7. gtighe Win User
    Not sure about everything, I have a GTX 960, maybe it is because it is one that doesn't start until it's hot but I'm not totally sure

gtighe, May 21, 2017
  8. gtighe Win User

Also here is a picture of something that might be important you can see something plugging into the gpu but going no where else
    Some wires aren't plugged in and gpu fans arent spinning [​IMG]

gtighe, May 21, 2017
  9. CountMike New Member
    That's just a power connector for second GPU if you install it or if that particular GPU needs two 6/8 pin connectors.

CountMike, May 21, 2017
  10. gtighe Win User
    so does the gtx 960 have fans that only turn on when hot because i haven't seen them on ever

gtighe, May 21, 2017
  11. CountMike New Member
    Depends on actual make but some do and they are not only ones, my AMD does that too.

CountMike, May 21, 2017
  12. clam1952 Win User
    So run a game or a benchmark and watch the fans or use GPUz which will tell you if the fans are running and what the temperature is etc.
    My GTX980TI and GTX970 only use the fans when gaming.

clam1952, May 21, 2017
  13. Berton Win User

The plug shown in the image may be an extra, have seen such when the power supply can be used with different motherboard/CPU combinations. The Intel and AMD CPUs use different motherboards and Custom computers or aftermarket power supplies are built to work with either type, use different combinations of the wires provided. The OEMs have their power supplies built to order, as they want them, seldom have extras that only add to the cost.

Berton, May 21, 2017
  14. CountMike New Member
    That particular plug is on same cable as other one going to GPU so it's for PCIe only. As far as I know, there's no particular PSU for Intel or AMD.

CountMike, May 21, 2017
  15. As far as I know power supplies are universal and support AMD and Intel CPU's. The power plugs/headers on the motherboard are the same regardless of which CPU it supports. Generally the more expensive a power supply is (the higher the wattage) the more plugs and cables it will have. It's not uncommon to have unused plugs/cables on your power supply.

alphanumeric, May 21, 2017
Thema:

1. Some wires aren't plugged in and gpu fans arent spinning - Similar Threads - wires aren't plugged

2. Blackscreen with high GPU fan spin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blackscreen with high GPU fan spin: Hello guys,I'm having a problem where my PC will have a blackscreen with the GPU fans at 100%. I still have sound and can communicate through Discord but nothing else. I have to hard reset the PC afterwards. It happens with a lot of games especially on start up. For example...
  3. Blackscreen with high GPU fan spin

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blackscreen with high GPU fan spin: Hello guys,I'm having a problem where my PC will have a blackscreen with the GPU fans at 100%. I still have sound and can communicate through Discord but nothing else. I have to hard reset the PC afterwards. It happens with a lot of games especially on start up. For example...
  4. Laptop fan spins terribly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop fan spins terribly: Hi Team WindowsI have an issue with different laptop brands loaded windows 10 and windows 11.The fan spins terribly for a longer time while working on a spreadsheet or outlook, basically list resources consumed.This has nothing to do with low ram or low hard drive space.The...
  5. Fans not spinning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fans not spinning: I have some Rgb fans and they are not spinning it came with a fan hub and after a day it didn't work anymore. I am powering the fan hub using a sata connector but it doesn't work for some reason....
  6. My laptop fan is spinning SO fast in some intervals

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop fan is spinning SO fast in some intervals: Hello!I have Lenovo Ideapad 520 15-IKB 81BF. On 5th of June I removed my hard disk and installed a brand new Samsung 870 EVO Sata III SSD 2,5". I Installed Windows 10 Pro on it and all the drivers I'm supposed to have. On the first reboot I noticed one error when signing in...
  7. windows crashing + all fans spin @ 100%(even gpu fans)

in Windows 10 Support
    windows crashing + all fans spin @ 100%(even gpu fans): hey. a new year and new windows 10 problems. lately iv been have an issue where win 10 crashes and all fans in the whole computer spins at 100%,and i have to do a hard reset. win ver. 20H2 (build 19042.685) im sure there r more stuff for me to post,just let me know. thanks...
  8. Red Screen and GPU fans not spinning while playing shadow of mordor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Red Screen and GPU fans not spinning while playing shadow of mordor: I recently built a PC with Asus Radeon 380 Strix 4gb graphics card. But 5 minutes into playing the game the screen went red and i had to manually restart. Any help would be appreciated! also GPU fans dont seen to be running either. 47684
  9. GPU keeps working (fans spinning) for a few seconds after shutdown

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU keeps working (fans spinning) for a few seconds after shutdown: Hello, my PC has been having weird shutdown lately. When the screen goes black at the end of the shutdown, I hear my fans and components stop working, the PSU relay clicks, but the GPU keeps working and its fans keeping spinning (maybe some other components too, but the GPU...
  10. Laptop fan not spinning.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop fan not spinning.: I have an Asus Rog G771JW laptop, I had it for almost 6 months now. Lately I have been noticing that when turned on it would make a loud scraping noise that would last ~10 seconds. But yesterday the fan completly stopped (from what I can hear) only the CPU fan is spinning...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. red and blue gpu wires on laptop not plugged in