Windows 10: Somehow Win10 Didn't Install, I Guess.

Discus and support Somehow Win10 Didn't Install, I Guess. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just now I went through the Win8.1 to Win10 upgrade dance. It took about 40 minutes. I was watching when it reached about 98% complete and went into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamjim, Jul 2, 2016.

1. iamjim Win User

Somehow Win10 Didn't Install, I Guess.

Just now I went through the Win8.1 to Win10 upgrade dance. It took about 40 minutes. I was watching when it reached about 98% complete and went into another reboot. When it finished and returned to my desktop I checked Windows properties and it still says 8.1 -- no messages, no errors, nothing, from this extended adventure. What the hell is going on?

:)

iamjim, Jul 2, 2016

2. Microsoft Virtual wifi miniport adapter driver is missing??

Didn't do anything.

I guess somehow it can't be fixed...

Krishna Chaitanya G, Jul 2, 2016
  3. IE11 Lagging

I didn't do a clean install, as ms upgraded me to Win10 V1703 before I got a chance. Everything is fine now so I guess that did it. Thanks for all the help.

BradRichard, Jul 2, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

This will take a bit of reading, but will show you all the needed steps.
    https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/upgrade-to-windows-10.8852/?filterSetu[2]

OldMike65, Jul 2, 2016
  5. iamjim Win User
    Well, I scrolled through the entire page in your link. It mostly seemed to be explaining the upgrade process. As I explained in my post, I went through the entire upgrade/installation process.

I had disabled antivirus, and closed many background programs. It checked three things CPU, RAM memory and Disk space and said everything was okay. It downloaded the necessary files, then installed them, then configured settings. During this the big circle was progressing. I finished with something like 98% complete in the middle of the circle then rebooted back into Windows 8.1 best I can tell.

There were many blue screens in the page you linked to saying tenforums.com that were nothing like any screens I saw during the installation, but my installation screens were all logical. As I said it gave no error messages or messages of any type other then normal progress messages.

iamjim, Jul 2, 2016
  6. OldMike65 Win User
    Their even was a video that shows you every step.....But in some case you might need to REMOVE any 3rd party AV and firewall before doing your upgrade. I've upgraded 3 of my computers, 2 were Windows 7 Pro, and 1 was Windows 8.1 Home. Had no problems. You do need to download the Windows ISO 1st. And make sure you choose the Correct version for your system. Also you should get the iso from tech bench. Use Option #1
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/9...-download.html

OldMike65, Jul 2, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    I'm just trying to make it easy for you, that's why I mentioned the video too.

OldMike65, Jul 2, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Whole process can take up to 40 mins, depending on the speed of your Hard drives and other factors.
    At your search prompt, you can type in "winver" without the quotes and that should tell you your Windows version also.

OldMike65, Jul 2, 2016
  9. OldMike65 Win User
    One thing you also might want to do BEFORE upgrading to Windows 10, is to make a complete image backup, and store it in a safe place not on your C-Drive. Lots of us use Macrium Reflect Free for this, as it works better then the one in Windows. Your choice of course.
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

OldMike65, Jul 2, 2016
  10. iamjim Win User
    I downloaded this file Windows10Upgrade9194.exe from here How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft

This kicked off the download and started the upgrade/installation process. I just did it again with the same results. It takes too long to watch it again but I came by occasionally and got these screens:

Somehow Win10 Didn't Install, I Guess. [​IMG]

iamjim, Jul 3, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Well the way I did 3 of my computers was using ONLY the Windows ISO file that I downloaded and put on a USB stick, then just went to the USB drive, and clicked on SETUP.EXE and Windows updated nicely. Never did it any other way. You keep trying other ways, instead of what works for most folks. But that IS your choice. *Smile
    Also....did NOT Boot the USB Stick.....just went from Drive C to the usb drive.
    2nd Option would be to download the ISO and then Mount it ...if your Windows 8 has that option.

OldMike65, Jul 3, 2016
  12. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jul 3, 2016
  13. iamjim Win User

I'm using it because when you google how to upgrade to windows 10 that's the thing that comes up and it's on the Microsoft website. Did you follow the link I gave?

Also, if you google "windows 10 iso download" it takes you here:
    Windows 10

Where you also download Windows10Upgrade9194.exe

iamjim, Jul 3, 2016
  14. iamjim Win User
    Also, I don't want a clean install. I want and upgrade.

iamjim, Jul 3, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    If you would have followed my post on msg #4 and choose option #1 you would have been on the RIGHT Page!!! but you keep going on the wrong page. lol Here is the link for the correct page from MS. Once their just choose the correct ISO and download it.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench
    This will give you the choice to UPGRADE during the install .....OR a clean install.

OldMike65, Jul 3, 2016
Thema:

1. Somehow Win10 Didn't Install, I Guess. - Similar Threads - Somehow Win10 Didn't

2. On windows login at startup is, I guess, a duplicate account which I didn't create

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    On windows login at startup is, I guess, a duplicate account which I didn't create: Just as the title says.Windows made a duplicate? Account in which I can't login...I switched to my original account and scanned for viruses with Norton. No viruses and threats.I tried looking into users but none but mine are found in registry.Anyone got idea , what's that all...
  3. On windows login at startup is, I guess, a duplicate account which I didn't create

in Windows 10 Gaming
    On windows login at startup is, I guess, a duplicate account which I didn't create: Just as the title says.Windows made a duplicate? Account in which I can't login...I switched to my original account and scanned for viruses with Norton. No viruses and threats.I tried looking into users but none but mine are found in registry.Anyone got idea , what's that all...
  4. Dead pixels I guess

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dead pixels I guess: Can someone help me how to fix this?It gets worse when you're in an app:In some apps, it literally fills almost the entire screen:This thing has been happening since I upgraded to Windows 11 two days after its launch. Please help. Thank you :D...
  5. Dead pixels I guess

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dead pixels I guess: Can someone help me how to fix this?It gets worse when you're in an app:In some apps, it literally fills almost the entire screen:This thing has been happening since I upgraded to Windows 11 two days after its launch. Please help. Thank you :D...
  6. Average day in Win10 I guess

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Average day in Win10 I guess: Not sure if this issue has been documented. I was playing around in Python3 and seem to have created two folders that are in purgatory within Windows10. One is called C:/path/to/file/ + tem + / and was "deleted", the other is called C:/path/to/file/ + str(now) + / also...
  7. SOUND AGAIN I GUESS

in Windows 10 Customization
    SOUND AGAIN I GUESS: SO I just asked this question and when I was done some ridiculous SURVEY popped up which I thought would open another link for it. NOPE. Redirected me and I GUESS deleted my question. I can not find my original question looked everywhere in my history. Lets fix this hmm...
  8. I tried to install win10 on older NTB and it's somehow still password locked?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I tried to install win10 on older NTB and it's somehow still password locked?: Friend gave me his old sony Vaio ntb (from 2008) with Vista professional ultimate on it. Unfortunately he couldn't remember the password. I tried few things to recover that password or change it, but without any success. Then I created win10 boot USB and installed win10...
  9. Win10 deactivated (I didn't change H/W)

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 deactivated (I didn't change H/W): Hi All - while attempting to troubleshoot another PC I naively took out my SSD with a long time working/activated Win10 and popped it in the other machine. Very quickly I thought uh-oh and put it back in the original and unchanged PC. Now my machine thinks my hardware has...
  10. no internet,i guess

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no internet,i guess: umm,my windows is connected to my wifi but it says no internet access. the shocking thing is I AM ABLE TO SURF THE WEB IN CROME but not on EDGE of any other windows related app. Please help me i am not even able to search updates. HELP!!!!...