Windows 10: Something finally broke !!! @StartMenu

Discus and support Something finally broke !!! @StartMenu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ok. It no longer works. I press the Windows Key and nothing happens. I press the button allocated for that mater, and still nothing happens. Ideas of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Marron, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Marron Win User

Something finally broke !!! @StartMenu

Ok. It no longer works. I press the Windows Key and nothing happens. I press the button allocated for that mater, and still nothing happens. Ideas of how to fix ? Restart didn't work.

EDIT: I know I can just revert to the old taskbar in the old build that was more stable, but I kind-of wanna keep the new one.

EDIT 2: I just realized that there's a new build out. Any ideas on how to update without having the start menu ? This may fix the problem.

:)

Marron, Mar 25, 2015
  2. StevenGL Win User

Open with... won't save an image to disk?

Something else went wrong with the software so I finally broke down and got the latest version X8 that did solve the problem.

StevenGL, Mar 25, 2015
  3. Startmenu not "updating"

When I install new apps/programs they will appear in the startmenu. I have a few programs that are not installed though but just .exe files. When I create a shortcut and copy them to my Startmenu folder, they won't appear in my starmenu. Is there maybe
    an additional registry entry that I have/can make to add shortcuts to my startmenu? There must be something more than just the startmenu folder otherwise the newly installed programms would also not be showing up...

Ciaran Baulig, Mar 25, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Click search and type updates. Click bottom right New Notifications\All Settings\Update & Recovery.

Just a couple for you.

5. Marron Win User
    That's the problem. Search is in the start menu, and the start menu won't open.

Marron, Mar 25, 2015
  6. brummyfan Win User
    Click the notification icon next to the speaker icon, click All settings and Update & Recovery.

Something finally broke !!! @StartMenu [​IMG]

brummyfan, Mar 25, 2015
  7. Marron Win User
    Apparently the start menu is not the only thing that doesn't work. That button doesn't work either.

Marron, Mar 25, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

Try 'Settings' access from Explorer:

Edwin, Mar 25, 2015
  9. Marron Win User
    When I press that button Explorer freezes for about 10 seconds, then it gets back to normal. Settings doesn't start.

Marron, Mar 25, 2015
  10. Marron Win User
    One more mention. There is actually a way to experience what I'm experiencing (I hope it's not different, 'cause I don't remember it different and I can't test in my current state. But I'm quite sure it's not.)
    If you create a second account, and make it a 'child account' with no e-mail, after you log in to that account, after a few seconds (10 or so) the start menu will stop working.

I also experienced this kind of stuff (This one seemed different though because of the start logo wouldn't even show up. Blank taskbar color in it's place) while playing with the auto-hide feature of the taskbar, but it got solved with a restart.

Marron, Mar 25, 2015
  11. Chuck38 Win User
    Hi Marron,

I've had this exact same problem. The only thing you can do is either re-install the build you are using and then update via PC Settings, or you could download the ISO for the new build. Which you can find Brink's tutorial to install it. *Smile

I would suggest just downloading the new build, as the update system hasn't been working very well for many people. (Including me.)

-Chuck

Chuck38, Mar 25, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    Try running both PowerShell scripts and the Store Reset exe.

Edwin, Mar 25, 2015
  13. Marron Win User

I doubt this is the only solution. For once, I can just do this, which should really work, but I don't wanna downgrade my taskbar yet.

Could you explain what PowerShell scritps I should run (and maybe how) ? And where's the Store Reset exe ?

Marron, Mar 25, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    With nothing else running, open PowerShell as administrator and run the following:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

let it complete then exit and restart Explorer (Task Manager/Explorer-right click/Restart)

then do the same with:

Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

After Restarting Explorer again, navigate to C:/Windows/System32/WSReset.exe (if you still can't use Search),
    it may run a few commands then the Store should open.

Close the Store and Restart your PC.

Edwin, Mar 25, 2015
  15. Marron Win User
    The first one seemed to work, but the second didn't. I get this screen:
    Screenshot by Lightshot

It's probably because powershell is not in administrator mode. I opened powershell by WinKey + R, and then typed powershell. How can I open it as administrator (from run) ? I can't use the start menu.

Marron, Mar 25, 2015
Thema:

1. Something finally broke !!! @StartMenu - Similar Threads - Something finally broke

2. Icons not showing in startmenu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icons not showing in startmenu: Like title, some icons aren't showing in the start menu, I've tried following a few guides that suggest deleting "IconCache.db" however this simply doesn't exist on my computer, I've also tried following the guide below but to no...
  3. No entries in the startmenu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No entries in the startmenu: Hello!After installing programs, they don't appear in the startmenu. However, they are installed and I can add them manually to the desktop.Is there a way to re-create all startmenu entries?I even reinstalled Windows 11, but the issue persists.Thank you!...
  4. No entries in the startmenu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No entries in the startmenu: Hello!After installing programs, they don't appear in the startmenu. However, they are installed and I can add them manually to the desktop.Is there a way to re-create all startmenu entries?I even reinstalled Windows 11, but the issue persists.Thank you!...
  5. UXThemePatcher broke something

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    UXThemePatcher broke something: I downloaded UXThemePatcher and now my PC is in a weird loop where the monitor(s) turn on, then turn right back off. I tried booting in safe mode but nothing changed. I have a restore point and tried going back to that but it failed. I am open to any solution. submitted by...
  6. Windows has finally broke my pc. Thanks!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows has finally broke my pc. Thanks!: This ridiculous windows updates has finally broke my GPU. I thank you a lot for causing me this trouble. I wish to go back to windows 7 but windows 10 keeps poping on my screen to update to windows 10. My answer is to the microsoft is to go f yourselves. You finally broke my...
  7. Startmenu not opening

Startmenu not opening: Ever since Windows 10 came out I've had the issue of my startmenu not opening. I've been through 4 PC's since it was released and all have had this issue. Why can't they just have such an important part of the OS working? This issue comes and goes, sometimes a reboot will...
  8. Repair icons in the StartMenu?

Repair icons in the StartMenu?: I disconnected my D: unit, and reconnect more later, and all programs installed in D: lost their icon in the start menu. Any fix? https://imgur.com/VTkIIuQ submitted by /u/FSFRS [link] [comments]...
  9. Startmenu (left)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Startmenu (left): Hello! Is there any way that the start menu opens like this always? (Want the Windows 10 start menu to show the expanded start menu) [img] 125495
  10. It Is Finals Week And Windows Update broke Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    It Is Finals Week And Windows Update broke Internet: i have no idea where to even start; but i REALLY need my PC running right away. i have a lot of art projects and a couple essays i need to finish and turn in! As of now, i can't get internet. First it was a Gateway problem, but now it just says my ethernet cable is...