Windows 10: Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016

Discus and support Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm SURE this has been hammered to death, but my searches aren't finding the 20016 error........... <flame on> As a user of Windows since 3.1 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GracieAllen, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016

I'm SURE this has been hammered to death, but my searches aren't finding the 20016 error...........

<flame on>

As a user of Windows since 3.1 and DOS before that, I'm used to new versions having problems with installs, running like crap, crashing regularly, and all the other problems we've come to expect from Microsoft. But this one revealed that even my cynical self can still be surprised... I don't know if this whole thing is some kind of test, a massive joke at our expense, or just a total lack of MS ENSURING their @#$%^&* software will even TRY TO RUN...

Downloaded the MediaCreationToolx64 and figured "I just want to burn a DVD with an ISO. This SHOULD BE TRIVIAL." I'm running on a massively overpowered system with 8.1, so there should be any problem. Fire it up, let it download, burn the DVD... AH, but that's where the gods at MS played their galactic practical joke.....

Ran the MediaCreationTool. It sat there like floop in a punchbowl for a few seconds then said:

Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016

Having received this VERY understandable message - I mean what could POSSIBLY confusing about "something happened", I jumped onto the Internet to get the fix.....

THREE HOURS, at least a DOZEN reboots, and having tried things from the maybe likely, to the not likely, to the silly, to the utterly ridiculous, I'm still receiving "Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016" on ALL THREE MACHINES I've tried it on... Won't work on the 8.1 desktop, won't work on the Win 7/SP1 desktop, won't work on the Win 7/SP1 laptop...

I did a search in here and found an astonishing number of installation problems for something that's been out less than two weeks, but didn't see a topic for this.

SO, what IS the magical incantation to get this utter POS to let me download the ISO?

And while I'm asking, HOW do I download the update without having to go through that stupid "mother may I" process where they'll "let me know" when they've decided I should be allowed to update?

The folks at Apple must be catatonic from the laughter. 20+ years of Windows and they still can't even get the DOWNLOADER to work reliably?

I've tried "run as administrator" which didn't work
    "Change Local and Language Settings to English" which didn't work
    "Disable or Uninstall Antivirus Program or Internet Security Suite" which didn't work
    "Make sure all these services are turned on automatic" WHICH DIDN'T WORK
    "run wuauclt.exe /updatenow" which didn't work
    "stuck a new keyword in the registry" which DIDN'T WORK
    ran some MS piece of software that was going to FIX my system so the download would work - which didn't WORK

and on and on through things I can't even remember at this point...

SO, as opposed to this random rummaging and hoping SOMETHING will get this to work, WHAT do I have to do to get this software to let me download? Although, at this point I ALREADY hate Windows 10, so it will HAVE to be absolutely incredible after this ridiculous start...

<flame off>

:)

GracieAllen, Aug 10, 2015
  2. IndyTW Win User

Windows 10 pro upgrade error : something happen 0x80070002 - 0x20016

Dear Sir,

I got this error : something happen 0x80070002 - 0x20016, when tried to upgrade win 7 pro to win 10 pro.

Please help.

Thanks.

Indy

IndyTW, Aug 10, 2015
  3. IndyTW Win User
    IndyTW, Aug 10, 2015
  4. Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016

It just keeps getting better.... Finally grabbed my WIFE's laptop to try the last remaining PC in the house... This time at LEAST it got to the point of saying "Create installation media for another PC".......

Then it churns for a long time, downloading. Gets to 100% then says something like "creating media". I saw it get to at least 22%, then it PUKES ALL OVER IT'S FEET... This time it's an error "Something happened 0x80070070 - 0xc19001DF"...

Hoping SOMEBODY has a clue what needs to be done to get this thing to work...

GracieAllen, Aug 10, 2015
  5. js1662 Win User
    Out of the 4 machines that you have, can you spare one and do a clean install of Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 or do a recovery to factory state for the laptop? Activate it and do all the Microsoft and driver updates but don't install any other software. Then try the Media Creation Tool again. Hopefully you can create the Windows 10 ISO on DVD and used that to upgrade the machine that you have picked for clean install of Win 7 or 8 or did factory recovery. In my experience, the cleanly installed machines are the easiest to upgrade to Windows 10. Afterwards, try upgrading the other machines if you still like Windows 10 after trying the first one. If for any reason that the upgrade for the other machine fails, you may consider to do a clean install of Win 7 or 8 or do a factory recovery same as the first machine.

To play safe, I suggest you do a system image backup of the machines to external drive first so in case all of the above doesn't work as expected, you can use the system image backup to recover your machine to the present state, i.e. undo all the changes. Make sure you also make a recovery DVD after you make the system image backup.

It is just a suggestion for you to consider. It is going to be very time consuming to do the above but trying to troubleshoot your problem is also going to be very time consuming too unless someone with similar problem as yours gives you a quick solution.

js1662, Aug 10, 2015
  6. DEcosse Win User
    If you want to force the Windows Update to enable direct upgrade from there (Windows Update)
    1) Delete everything in the windows/softwaredistrubtion/download folder
    Open CMD window to run as Admin and enter wuauclt.exe /updatenow
    execute 'check for updates' - if your system is not up to date, you will need to install any important ones it finds, then repeat the process
    2) If that does not work
    locate the registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
    If does not exist, create it.
    Create a new DWORD (32-bit) Value with Name = "AllowOSUpgrade” (without the quotes), and set the Value = 0x00000001.

DEcosse, Aug 10, 2015
  7. simrick Win User
    simrick, Aug 10, 2015
  8. Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016

In THEORY, I could take my laptop and install a clean version of Windows 7. Seems undesirable to waste an entire day putting an old O/S on so I can create a source to put a new O/S on. If it's that screwed up I think I'll just delay Windows 10 for a few months til Microsoft fixes some of the more screwed up parts.....

To make things more interesting, YESTERDAY, my laptop apparently decided to UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10... When I went into Windows Upgrade, it said I have 23 Important updates. Told it to install them and it said "Downloading Windows 10". Figured, OK, it's apparently going to upgrade..... Let it sit and download for hours. Eventually it SAID it HAD Windows 10 and was going to start the installation... At which point it just sat indefinitely without doing anything. Never did get anything installed...

As for forcing it to upgrade:
    The download folder is empty on my desktop AND on my laptop. Didn't make a bit of difference.
    Opened the command window as an administrator and TRIED to run wuauclt.exe / updatenow and it just tells me there's no such command. Tried putting "c:\windows\system32" on the front and still get the same message. Perhaps I'm not getting the command window to run as an admin, although I'm following the instructions for Windows 7... Go to accessories, find CMD, right click, select "Run as Administrator"..... Seems pretty idiot-proof but it doesn't find the command. I checked in the folder and there IS a wuauclt.exe sitting there.

Went into the registry to CREATE "AllowOSUpgrade" but in the key
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate] there is NO "OSUpgrade". How do I create that so I can create the DWORD for AllowOSUpgrade?

TODAY, since it never actually "updated" to Windows 10, when I rebooted the laptop and went into Windows Update, and tried to install the 15 important updates that need installing, it SAYS it's downloading windows 10 - it sits at 8.9MB for a while, then says "Preparing for installation". Sits there for a while while (according to the network status) it appears to be VERY slowly downloading something...

Eventually, it told me 2 updates had succeeded and 13 had failed, and had me reboot. And after all that, it's still Windows 7. BUT, now Windows update SAYS, "Downloading Windows 10", which we've seen before and SAYS it's 2712.6 MB. And we're back to waiting.... I figure it'll eventually either actually download something and upgrade, or puke again...

GracieAllen, Aug 11, 2015
  9. bobkn Win User
    All that I can suggest is using the Media Creation Tool to download the .iso. (It doesn't literally do that, but you end up with an .iso.)

On an 8.1 machine, you can mount the .iso as a virtual DVD and run the upgrade from that. It's what I did on my two 8.1 machines. (Transferred the .iso to the second machine using a USB drive. Both were running 8.1 Pro X64.) Maybe that will run.

Alternately, you might get the .iso from a chum who doesn't have whatever weirdness inhabits your 4 machines. Lots of people are having trouble with the upgrade, but I can't believe they're in the majority. I also think that it'd be very unlikely that the upgrade would fail on 4 machines as a coincidence.

bobkn, Aug 11, 2015
  10. simrick Win User
    The command you typed - wuauclt.exe / updatenow - has an extra space in it. There should not be a space after the forward slash (/). Not sure if you just made a typo in this post, or if you were trying to run the command with that extra space. The correct command is wuauclt.exe /updatenow. The trick is, open the administrative command prompt, type the command, go to Windows Update, click check for updates, and then immediately hit enter in the command prompt window, to force the update to download. (An administrative command prompt will have C:\WINDOWS\system32> at the blinking cursor.) But, you've got the download coming through now, so that's not an issue any more.

Leftovers from deleted user accounts can cause it to "puke". Leftovers from older/previous VPNs can cause it to "puke". Incompatible drivers can cause it to "puke". Having external drives attached will cause it to "puke". Having a third-party antivirus installed will also cause it to "puke". Bloatware from OEMs can cause it to "puke". Personally, if it's giving you that much trouble to automatically update, either update from a clean install of W7, or wait a month or two, until more of the obscure upgrade bugs are identified and squashed, and your upgrade comes through successfully. There's a reason it's not upgrading on your system(s). Could be that forcing an upgrade at this point will leave you worse off than keeping the old OS for a while longer. Upgrading from a clean install of W7 will make life easier for you in the long run, I think.

simrick, Aug 11, 2015
  11. marcloeb Win User
    I stumbled here too - in my case I ran Windows 8.1 Enterprise Edition, which is not eligible for a free upgrade :-( - and it ends up with this weird error message. With the proper version of windows 10 I was able to upgrade, but not with any of the discussed tools here.

marcloeb, Aug 11, 2015
  12. DEcosse Win User
    Note that I provided the correct syntax - you added that extra space.

Are you sure you followed the tree correctly?
    HKey_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows ->Current Version -> Windows Update -> OSUpgrade

Is the Windows 7 at least up to date with all important update installed, with no failures?
    If you have any failures you need to re-attempt them - run "check for updates" again and install any it finds; if you have fails, then you need to pursue why they won't install (post the error messages here if you need help)
    If system IS up to date (no updates found) but you don't have the install windows 10 prompt in the update screen, then run the wuauclt.exe /updatenow and if it still does not appear revisit the registry for the OSUpdate key

DEcosse, Aug 12, 2015
  13. Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016

Thanks for the replies........

Laptop never did successfully update....... It downloads, thinks, prepares, sits, does the hokey pokey and turns itself around, then hangs........

BUT, on the other hand, I got a link in a different forum that just DOWNLOADS THE $%^&*( ISO. No media anything, no stupidity, just downloads and dumps it on the disk..... Take it and write it to a DVD as an ISO, and GUESS WHAT - IT WORKS FINE....... After ALL THIS STUPIDITY, WASTED TIME, AGGRAVATION, FRUSTRATION, AND SWEARING AT MICROSOFT, and if they'd just put a bunch of ISOs on sites and let us DOWNLOAD 'em, like we've done for the last "n" years, it would have made this whole process a LOT EASIER...

Stuck the DVD in the laptop that wouldn't update - updated FINE... An hour later it's running Windows 10 Home. Then stuck it in my desktop, and it WORKED...... 20 minutes later and it's running Windows 10 Pro. This morning I put it in my wife's laptop and 3 hours later IT'S running Windows 10 Home... Apparently speed of the system makes a HUGE difference in how fast the install goes, but it went on all 3 boxes... 1 more to go, and I'll do that this weekend...

As for the wuauclt.exe thing - yeah, I stuck a space in when I typed it into the browser. I never was able to get a command window to run the thing. I couldn't even get a command window to SEE the file. Windows File Explorer could see it but a command window couldn't. Not important any more.

As for the OSUpgrade key in the registry, I ran out and looked at the last Windows 7 box and I can't find that key in that system. Both Windows 10 boxes in my office HAVE it now, but either Windows 10 put it in, or I was looking in the wrong place before!

So far, on the box that matters (my desktop), I'm not at all impressed, but at least they got rid of the stupid metro screen... I'll put my questions in a different topic and let this one die a quiet death!

Thanks again.

GracieAllen, Aug 13, 2015
  14. simrick Win User
    simrick, Aug 13, 2015
  15. jhchawk Win User
    I have the same problem as you!

Can you please link to the forum where the Windows 10 .iso file is hosted? I would love to download it directly.

Thanks.

EDIT: found the link: Tech Bench

jhchawk, Aug 13, 2015
Thema:

Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016

1. Something happened 0x80070002 - 0x20016 - Similar Threads - Something happened 0x80070002

2. Microsoft Store apps stuck on Error 0x80070002 "Something happened on our end" during...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store apps stuck on Error 0x80070002 "Something happened on our end" during...: I have already tried resetting the windows app store, repairing the windows app store, logging out of the store, using a different account on the store, uninstalling and reinstalling the windows store, and everything else short of another full system reset, which is an...
  3. Microsoft Store apps stuck on Error 0x80070002 "Something happened on our end" during...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store apps stuck on Error 0x80070002 "Something happened on our end" during...: I have already tried resetting the windows app store, repairing the windows app store, logging out of the store, using a different account on the store, uninstalling and reinstalling the windows store, and everything else short of another full system reset, which is an...
  4. Something happened to this app 0x80070002 - MSFS2020 Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Something happened to this app 0x80070002 - MSFS2020 Windows 11: Hey, i recently upgraded from Windows 10 to 11, the game Microsoft Simulator 2020 was playing fine. Then a couple of weeks back, I noticed I could no longer find the installation, i went and saw that I couldn't remove it from "apps" e.g. as if it wasn't installed.So I went to...
  5. Something happened to this app 0x80070002 - MSFS2020 Windows 11

Something happened to this app 0x80070002 - MSFS2020 Windows 11: Hey, i recently upgraded from Windows 10 to 11, the game Microsoft Simulator 2020 was playing fine. Then a couple of weeks back, I noticed I could no longer find the installation, i went and saw that I couldn't remove it from "apps" e.g. as if it wasn't installed.So I went to...
  6. Microsoft store error: "0x80070002 something happened on our end", affter trying to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft store error: "0x80070002 something happened on our end", affter trying to...: Good afternoon, I have been having this error for almost a year now and I searched for hundreds of solutions and even reinstalled my windows 11 2 times but didn´t work, I have tried many many MANY solutions and nothing worked and I am not the only one, but now I am getting...
  7. Microsoft store error: "0x80070002 something happened on our end", affter trying to...

Microsoft store error: "0x80070002 something happened on our end", affter trying to...: Good afternoon, I have been having this error for almost a year now and I searched for hundreds of solutions and even reinstalled my windows 11 2 times but didn´t work, I have tried many many MANY solutions and nothing worked and I am not the only one, but now I am getting...
  8. Something unexpected happened

Something unexpected happened: I dont know what is the unexpected happened in your end but I want you to fix it immediately together with this error code in my store 0x80240013. Microsoft always have issue in their app and I dont know why. Even updating Windows is not worth to try because it does not help....
  9. Microsoft store error code: 0x80070002 (Something happened to this app. Were working to fix...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store error code: 0x80070002 (Something happened to this app. Were working to fix...: Just today, I reinstalled Minecraft Windows 10, and when the download goes to 1.55MB, the download fails with an error code: 0x80070002. Tried resetting the store, but the results are same. And sometimes, the download restarts but the error is "Couldn't install Minecraft...
  10. Something Happened

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Something Happened: I'm trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10, but I keep getting the Message "Something Happened" Windows is trying to determine if your PC can run Windows 10. I have removed my Virus program (MBAM) and cleaned out my Windows.old directories and made sure that Win 7 was...